Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 28 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After #397

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 28, 2011 22:57 |  #1

The game will last 7 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #398."

Game ends Tuesday, January 3rd at 10pm US EDT. Will judge sometime on Wednesday !

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/Dragonfly_0314.jpg

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

sponsored links
Lonnie ­ Mac
297 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 30, 2011 22:56 |  #2

I'll try this one...

Just a crop and orientation.
A touch of contrast and some color.
A gaussian blur to the background to make the bug pop a little better.
I removed a stick or two that was distracting to the dragonfly too...

IMAGE: http://www.alenuts.com/stuff/bug1.jpg

Canon 5D2, Canon T2i, 24-105 f4.0L, 17-55 f2.8, 50 f1.4. Just a old dude with a camera...
My gallery... http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lonniemac/ (external link)

Pixels2011
206 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 31, 2011 18:34 as a reply to  @ Lonnie Mac's post |  #3

Had some time so thought I would make a little fun :D

Most is obvious ... cropped, chopped, and added new background. Added vignette (which I don't normally do, but like I said ... tried to have a little fun). Burned, dodged, adjusted colors.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!! Party safely!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i61.photobucket​.com …/Dragonfly_0314​Edit-1.gif (external link)

Debi

T3 ­ Heavy ­ Shop
600 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 03, 2012 08:03 |  #4

Bit too much green for me, so I increased over-all saturation, then lowered the green. added a touch of pink in the LR tint controls, Crop, rotate, tone curve, increased contrast.

Selected everything but the dragonfly and used Noise>Despeckle in PS. This blurred the background a bit and reduced the file size

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I've always been a photographer, but I haven't always had a camera.
6D MII, 7D MII, EOS-M, 5D MII(IR 830), EOS-M(IR 720)

-Douglas-
THREAD ­ STARTER
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 04, 2012 11:17 |  #5

Time to pick a winner!

Lonnie Mac: Nice crop, good color, I like!
Pixels2011: Nice post card effect, if you like bugs! I like the animated text and color matching the dragonfly.
T3 Heavy Shop: Another good edit with a strange orientation, kind of makes me feel like everything is going down!

And the winner is...............Pixels2011........might have to change your screen name to Pixels2012 now! :D

I copied my image from here (because it was a lot easier than finding the RAW on the hard drive again) and pasted into PS CS3, here's what I got real quick!

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/Dragonfly.jpg

Duplicated layer and ran unsharp mask, settings = 62, 75, 0.
Flattened, duplicated and ran high pass set to .8 radious, desaturated high pass layer.
Duplicated high pass layer. 1st high pass layer set to hard light at 100%, 2nd high pass layer set to color burn at 30%.

And Happy New Year to all! :D

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Pixels2011
206 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 04, 2012 15:06 |  #6

Thank you!! I will have another one up shortly ... good edits everyone :)

Debi

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,550 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 06, 2012 16:42 |  #7

Well done pixels.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After #397
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.