Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 03:32
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What modes do you use mostly? And when?"
Manual mode
52.5%
Aperture mode
40.2%
Shutter speed mode
5.6%
Fully auto
1.7%

241 voters, 301 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is using manual exposure such a big deal?

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 04, 2012 07:51 |  #16

I was on full green box to begin with and it was not working great for me. Met up with a bunch of friends here and all were moving buttons, changing lenses, putting filters on, resetting the aperture, etc. I was in awe of the fun they were having. So, I went to manual and haven't turned back. For me, I want the best exposure for the gear I have. I am a math teacher so I approach the camera as if the settings are offering me the perfect equation to solve my problem. I just have to decide how to get to that. Lots of fun, and makes shooting very logical and creative at the same time.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 04, 2012 10:58 |  #17

Understanding the different metering modes is much more important than exposure modes IMO.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,296 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 04, 2012 11:09 |  #18

thirdkid wrote in post #13643818 (external link)
Okay. Ive been thinking about this for quite awhile now. Im going to do a wedding soon and have been thinking of shooting in Aperture mode to lessen the stress of missing a moment.

Now just wondering why is it such a big deal to people to shoot in manual exposure mode?
When do you use maual exp and the other settings?

The point is that in unchanging light, when your framing changes or someone walks into or out of the frame, the exposure for the lighting theoretically is identical. Yet the change of brightness caused by someone walking in or out of the frame will cause automated modes like Av to set a different exposure--when any exposure change is totally unnecessary...you have unchanging illumination, right?!

If the illumination is indeed rapidly changing, for example, broken clouds blowing past the sun, a mode like Av and Tv make it easier to modify the exposure to suit the changing levels of illumination caused by the clouds.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 04, 2012 11:23 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #19

Using manual exposure is NOT a big deal.
Knowing how to use manual exposure is. :)

Don't Click This (external link)

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2012 11:23 |  #20

As a landscaper, I use AV 90% of the time. I also know how to use EC.:) When I first started photography, I went to a workshop from Popular Photography magazine and they said that 80% of professional photographers use AV mode, so I thought if it was good enough for them its good enough for me.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 04, 2012 11:49 |  #21

Sometimes aperture priority, or shutter priority can get it wrong. Its not the be all end all though. It's situational, and a bit of personal preference, IMHO anyway.

My blog (external link)

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 04, 2012 12:59 as a reply to  @ Crimzon's post |  #22

I work in AV the majority of the time but I use most of the modes depending on what I am doing and what the situation dictates. I started in photography when you had to use a handheld light meter and then set your camera accordingly. So now we have manufacturers that are giving us all these extra options to get our images right. I, for one, embrace the new technologies as it saves time. I feel comfortable enough to be looking through the viewfinder and see what exposure it is suggesting and then either over or under expose using my thumb on the controls, never having to lower the camera. There seems to be some sort of "rite of passage" in that if you don't use M you aren't a real photographer. I know when to use and it is actually not that often based on my shooting habits. I've yet had anyone tell me what the difference is between a well exposed image using one of the auto modes and the same using M.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 04, 2012 20:21 |  #23

thirdkid wrote in post #13643839 (external link)
I know its not. But to some they jump to that quetsion of what mode were u using as if it made whoever the person seem pro or not..hmm

I'd venture to say if you're on the Green Box you're probably not a professional. I don't know any who would leave their images to chance. So yeah sometimes you can assume quite safely. As far as the other modes? I haven't used them all but really it comes down to how your brain works. Some people think in terms of exposure compensation while others think in terms of the triangle.

I can't get away with modes like Av because then I get forgetful to mind my shutter speed. It can change from shot to shot so you better watch it every time you press the button. If I shoot Manual, I know what it is because I just set it and it won't move until I move it. I can go to a safe 1/250th for an entire shoot then move everything else as needed. Tv or auto ISO won't work either because I'm always working with lights.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2012 20:33 |  #24

I don't look down on people who use modes that suit them--that is up to them if they want to use semi auto or full auto.

I started with my P&S on auto, and on my first DSL I used semi-auto modes like Av for the most part.

On my 7D exposure is exceptionally easy to control manually, and I much prefer it to any automatic mode. I think once you have enough practice in you instinctively know what you need for the shot, and it becomes MORE of a hassle having the camera guess for you.

celowbe
THREAD ­ STARTER
843 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 04, 2012 22:32 |  #25

Thanks for the replies. Too true. Forgot that AV does change automatically depending on exposure. Havent used AV or TV in awhile. But was thinking might be useful to use for a beach wedding coming up..

Gear list

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 04, 2012 22:35 as a reply to  @ post 13644325 |  #26

I use Av for everything but aircraft and sports. And night clubs.

Aircraft and sports get Tv, and night clubs as well as any other challenging lighting situation get manual with manual flash.

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 04, 2012 22:38 |  #27

thirdkid wrote in post #13648795 (external link)
Thanks for the replies. Too true. Forgot that AV does change automatically depending on exposure. Havent used AV or TV in awhile. But was thinking might be useful to use for a beach wedding coming up..

Exposure won't change much until you go from backlight to front light. When I did those I found it better to lock it down for consistency. I wasn't fighting the camera so I could concentrate on the tears, smiles, hugs, etc.

Your exposure can go one way or the other in Av by simply framing wider or tighter from the exact same spot. The tux and dress will mess with you too, making you ride EC really hard.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why they bothered with Av mode. Tv I can see the utility behind but Av? Shouldn't really exist, IMHO.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

celowbe
THREAD ­ STARTER
843 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 04, 2012 22:43 |  #28

Been worrying about how im going to get the right exposure for this wedding. As cdifoto said, the dress and tux will mess with me. Specially the dress getting easily blown out and the indoor outdoor/background exposure needing two different exposures. Would it be better to shoot in manual mode for this or using an external on cam flash?

Gear list

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 04, 2012 22:46 |  #29

You can use manual AND an external flash. It won't be as bad as you think. The sand makes a huge reflector for the sun to bounce off of. Indoors, proceed as normal...same way you shoot snaps at home. Bounce the flash off a wall and/or ceiling.

Beach weddings are actually easier because there's almost always tons of light everywhere. You know...that whole bright & cheerful nonsense.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 04, 2012 23:10 |  #30

cdifoto wrote in post #13648825 (external link)
Your exposure can go one way or the other in Av by simply framing wider or tighter from the exact same spot. The tux and dress will mess with you too, making you ride EC really hard.

Here's an example: Post #47

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

9,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.