Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wife Approval on 5D Mark II

iamatrix
104 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 04, 2012 19:07 |  #1

So here I am about to live out my fantasy of owning the 5D Mark II, but before I leap into the abyss I want to ensure I am makIng a sound decision. I currently own an XSI and 50 1.8 and in terms of IQ this combo continues to wow me. My main subject matter is portraiture with my twin 5 month old girls being my subject of choice. It's a lot of money to spend, but it may be a worthy investment after all I want the best pictures possible of my girls. I have owned pro bodies before (Nikon).

Thoughts ?

sponsored links
BlueLabel
120 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 04, 2012 19:13 |  #2

I too am looking at a 5Dii. I think I'm going to wait until the official announcement comes for the 5Diii, in hopes that the price of the ii comes down a little.

I almost had to upgrade much sooner then I wanted to, as I though I killed my 60D in the Dominican last week. But it seems to be functioning normally again.

I'll be watching this thread to see what people have to say regarding you question.

Rich

5D Mark III
EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 580EX II | 2X II Extender

3Rotor
791 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 04, 2012 19:16 |  #3

Field of view will definitely change moving from crop to full frame. I'm sure there are gains to be had switching over to the 5DII, especially ISO performance and resolution.

Are you planning to purchase more glass? In your current position I think glass would be a nice compliment to your XSI.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 04, 2012 19:21 |  #4

As an ex 450D and 50D owner I can tell you straight up you'll absolutely love it. Your nifty fifty will come right into its own on the 5DII. I always loved my 50 f1.4 on the 450D and 50D, but was amazed at just how good it is on the 5DII, the nifty will be just as good.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2012 19:24 |  #5

iamatrix wrote in post #13647730 (external link)
So here I am about to live out my fantasy of owning the 5D Mark II, but before I leap into the abyss I want to ensure I am makIng a sound decision. I currently own an XSI and 50 1.8 and in terms of IQ this combo continues to wow me. My main subject matter is portraiture with my twin 5 month old girls being my subject of choice. It's a lot of money to spend, but it may be a worthy investment after all I want the best pictures possible of my girls. I have owned pro bodies before (Nikon).

Thoughts ?

Have you ever shot 35mm film, well that's the field of view. I always thought that taking pictures of the children was the best excuse to getting the equipment you want! lol It's hard for the wife to argue the point... lol

Cheers,

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2012 19:38 |  #6

3Rotor wrote in post #13647775 (external link)
F

Are you planning to purchase more glass? In your current position I think glass would be a nice compliment to your XSI.

Personally, I'd spring for some nice glass before a new body. Sounds like you want a new toy....and that's cool, but if you want better images...try some good glass first.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2012 19:40 |  #7

It's a great camera, I don't know if I'd go so far and call it an "investment" but it'll be a fun thing to have and use. Get it quick, prices are excellent right now.

iamatrix
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 04, 2012 19:41 |  #8

3Rotor wrote in post #13647775 (external link)
Field of view will definitely change moving from crop to full frame. I'm sure there are gains to be had switching over to the 5DII, especially ISO performance and resolution.

I assume the image quality upgrade would be significant, the images I see on this forum from the mark II amaze me, though for arguments sake I can't say for sure how much PP or good glass is influencing my eyes.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 04, 2012 19:48 |  #9

iamatrix wrote in post #13647730 (external link)

Thoughts ?

If the 50mm 1.8 is the only lens you have, might considering another lens be a better idea.

You say the XSi continues to wow you, building out a lens setup might be a better idea.

Neal1029
101 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2012 19:49 |  #10

You have to jump in somewhere. Good glass or full frame body? The answer is both. The 5D ii is an amazing tool that will literally blow your socks off. The AF is dated but everybody know that much. The final result is what's important. Full res prints from the 5d2 are epic. If you could snag a kit with 24-105L you'd be set. Your lenses will be bear long term investment as opposed to a body. Only you can justify the price of the tools.

5DMK III,16-35L 2.8, 24-70L 2.8, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 580 EX II x 2

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2012 19:51 |  #11

Well, that sounds like good news. But when you get the body, get the glass to match.

Do you want some lens recommendations?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

BlueLabel
120 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 04, 2012 20:07 |  #12

Found a good video on YouTube that shows the difference of a Full Frame (5Dii) vs a crop sensor (60D).

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=AROVJAmbFm8 (external link)

Rich

5D Mark III
EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 580EX II | 2X II Extender

iamatrix
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 04, 2012 20:07 |  #13

S.Horton wrote in post #13647975 (external link)
Well, that sounds like good news. But when you get the body, get the glass to match.

Absolutely.

BlueLabel
120 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 04, 2012 20:08 |  #14

S.Horton wrote in post #13647975 (external link)

I'll take some.

Rich

5D Mark III

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2012 21:19 |  #15

At one time, the 50mm f/1.8 was the only "decent" lens I had. Now it's not. Given the choice, I would spend my money on a better lens selection instead of another body.

Are you willing to buy used? For the same $2000 as the 5D II, you could pick up an original 5D along with the 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 580EX.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links

4,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wife Approval on 5D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.