Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

high school basketball game!

Eman.
153 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 04, 2012 21:57 |  #1

Ive really wanted to get into sports photography and this is my first attempt.
C&C is always appreciated. I know in some of the pictures there are parts cut off. im working on that. only had my 85 1.8 should of brought my other gear.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6638870291_f0c1ed73b9_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/iso-dope/6638870291/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6638868175_6bf91ed520_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/iso-dope/6638868175/  (external link)
Roar! (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6638864831_1f7b0a707e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/iso-dope/6638864831/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6638875329_5f9ab02812_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/iso-dope/6638875329/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6638872087_95db1df55d_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/iso-dope/6638872087/  (external link)
day 4/366 (external link) by Simpson.Photography (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Quaz8r
142 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2012 22:28 |  #2

I like them. That lens is limiting from a composition stand point but you have great focus and depth of field.

http://www.EyePhotoU.c​om (external link)

85mmLover
103 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2012 22:37 |  #3

I really like looking at these pics. Not because I love basketball but bc I think they're great pics! I think color, sharpness, detail, and dof are all very nice.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2012 22:39 |  #4

Lighting is a lot better than I am used to seeing from HS basketball shots.

I wasnt able to pull the EXIF data via the Firefox plug-in I have... curious to know what aperture setting(s) was used for these.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 04, 2012 22:59 |  #5

drvnbysound wrote in post #13648838 (external link)
Lighting is a lot better than I am used to seeing from HS basketball shots.

I wasnt able to pull the EXIF data via the Firefox plug-in I have... curious to know what aperture setting(s) was used for these.

They do look good.

Exif can be seen on the flickr page - click the link lower left corner of each image.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2012 23:25 |  #6

Ahh! I have went to many Flickr pages via links provided here, but I am so used to right-clicking and using my FF plug-in, I was never able to find it there either - as Flickr gives the Copyright statement when you right-click.

I don't have a Flickr account myself, so I never took the time to fumble around the page to find the Actions > View EXIF Info link ;) Thanks for making me look for and find it!

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2012 23:36 |  #7

Now that I have looked, it appears that most were shot around f/2.0, ISO 1600.

The reason I was asking for this data was mainly to discuss the comment that Quaz8r made regarding the lens limiting the composition. I obviously understand that a prime lens will limit composition, particularly where you can't move much to compensate for it, but at those settings I don't know of any other alternatives. Suggestions?

Can the T2i even shoot higher than ISO1600? If so, at the expense of how much noise (assuming you use a lens at f/2.8 or f/4 maybe)? If not, what other lens would you use that can shoot at f/2.0 that would allow for better compositions?

I don't want to come off in the wrong way - I am simply asking because I don't know, and the comment led me to believe there are alternatives, which weren't mentioned.

Eman.
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 05, 2012 16:25 |  #8

Thanks everyone!
and most of them were shot between 1.8 and 2.5 i think. the t2i can get up to 6400 iso but its really noisy. and yes there are alternatives. The t2i is a crop body so quaz8r is right its hard composition wise but I would choose my nifty fifty to shoot at 2.0 too. And yes if you shoot at f/2.8 and f/4 it will get really noisy just because the t2i sucks with noise above 3200 iso

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 05, 2012 16:51 as a reply to  @ Eman.'s post |  #9

Love the last one :cool:

Gear List & Feedback

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2012 17:56 |  #10

Personally, I wasn't thinking to go any wider. I like the fact that, for the most part, the images are pretty well composed on specific players. Shooting wider is obviously going to capture more of the scene/play and possibly more of the crowd, which I would think would be less desirable. That's why I was more stumped on lens suggestions... I was thinking more along the lines of a zoom lens would allow you the composition flexibility AND give you the same aperture settings; I dont know of any...

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2012 17:59 |  #11

10megapixel wrote in post #13653224 (external link)
Love the last one :cool:

Me too!

Canon RP | Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

Eman.
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 05, 2012 19:56 |  #12

drvnbysound- idk either ive been told that the 70-200 2.8 L but it would be better with a 7d not much on a t2i.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 05, 2012 20:58 |  #13

The Canon 70-200/2.8 IS would be my choice here. It would give you a bit more flexibility on the wide end and a lot more reach if needed. It should work fine on your camera. With the quality image you got at ISO 1600 I"m thinking the extra ISO needed to go to f2.8 won't bother quality at all.

Can you rent one in your area to try?

That gym is brighter than most I've ever seen.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2012 22:32 |  #14

I agree, that's probably a great lens for this application. My problem with it is justifying the cost :( (~$2k - B&H) - particularly when comparing to a 85mm f/1.8 ($358 - B&H) or the nifty fifty ($104 - B&H).

I am a noob amateur, having been shooting for aroud 2 years now. I recently picked up the 70-200 f/4 myself (which I don't think would be capable for this). As soon as I got it I knew I would like to have the f/2.8 model for that added low-light capability, but Im not getting paid for anything yet (still have a lot of learning to do), and can't justify that expense yet.

Eman.
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2012 00:35 |  #15

Titus- you might be right. ill go to a local shop and see if they let people rent. and y they school is only 6 years old so its pretty new. A lot of the schools in my area are new so lighting should be a problem.

drvnbsound- maybe you can find it on the used market. I've seen some good deals on here for that exact lens. Also i've only been shooting seriously for about 7 months, but i feel the same way!

sponsored links

1,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
high school basketball game!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.