Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using a bed sheet as a backdrop?

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2012 22:38 |  #1

I've been doing off-camera lighting outdoors for quite awhile now, but now I'm starting to explore indoor setups. Right now I'm expanding my lighting gear so I don't really have money or room for seamless paper, etc.

What are your thoughts on using a bed sheet for a backdrop? Can this look good?

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

sponsored links
Lyndön
Goldmember
2,172 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 04, 2012 22:48 |  #2

Bed sheets work perfectly fine for backdrops. Just be smart about placement, since they're thin and can allow backlighting (such as a window) to pass through. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same as using a muslin. A bed sheet and some cheap clamps from home depot are the ideal cheap setup.

GEAR LIST

PhotosGuy
75,746 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 04, 2012 23:04 |  #3

If you had a white wall, I'd use that & attach the sheet at the bottom with white tape.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,975 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 05, 2012 01:57 |  #4

Just make sure there is not a big ugly stain on it!  :p

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Gear List | flickr (external link) --------------

JAE ­ Photography
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 05, 2012 06:44 |  #5

If you use a sheet make sure it's not wrinkled to the point where it looks like a guy hung a bedroom sheet up in his living room. A lot of set ups like this look cheap and tacky because the photographer doesn't put much effort into it. If all you have is a sheet that's all you have. Make the best of it :)

If you have a white wall you can do a lot of cool stuff using only the wall also.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1926140 (external link)
http://www.jae-photography.net/ (external link) (nsfw)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 05, 2012 07:42 |  #6

BushWacker wrote in post #13649526 (external link)
Just make sure there is not a big ugly stain on it!  :p

HA!

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2012 13:28 |  #7

You can use a bed sheet, and there are a few ways to go about it. In almost all the cases, one of the key things to keep in mind is subject separation from the background. You're almost always going to need several feet between the subject and the backdrop/sheet - otherwise it's quite obvious that the subject is just standing in front of a bedsheet.

Option 1) Use a white bed sheet, and light it brightly enough that all the white is blown out. This is good for a "high-key" style which is common in many glam-style portraits. It's very difficult to do without at least two flashes - one for the backdrop and one for the subject - but I guess it's possible if you're creative with your lighting gear. If you have two flashes, use one flash on partial power to light the subject (and a reflector* for fill), and a second flash on high power to light the background, either from the front or the back. With a bed sheet it would probably be pretty easy to light it from the back and blow it all out to white. Check this out for some great theory that you can adapt to your needs, even if you're not using paper you can blow out a white wall or bedsheet just the same way: http://www.zarias.com …torial-part-1-gear-space/ (external link)

Option 2) Use a white bed sheet, don't light it, and let it fall to gray. in this scenario, you'll light your subject in such a way that virtually no light falls on the backdrop, and use a wide aperture for a shallow depth-of-field so that the wrinkles (etc) in the sheet are out of focus and therefore not objectionable. To accomplish this relatively easily with one light, you'll put your main light to one side of the subject and a reflector* on the other side of the subject. Put the light/reflector as close to the subject as possible without getting them in the frame, both to increase the relative size of the light, and to decrease the necessary intensity of the flash. The backdrop will be very slightly lit from any light that bounces off the walls, ceiling, subject, and reflector, and back onto the backdrop.

Option 3) Black background. This is similar to #2, but use a black bedsheet instead of white. It's tough to accomplish this if you're indoors, as "splashing" and bouncing light will still light the backdrop. If you have a huge room with high ceilings, or if you can set up outdoors at night, it's easier to pull off. A second light source to use as a hair or rim light will really help your subject pop out of the black background, especially if they have dark hair.

* a $2 piece of white foam-core board from the craft store makes a great reflector for things like this

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,076 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2012 13:33 |  #8

http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …in-photography-background (external link)

Look through that thread. There are DIY options for you better than a bedsheet.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2012 13:51 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #13652090 (external link)
http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …in-photography-background (external link)

Look through that thread. There are DIY options for you better than a bedsheet.

Yeah, I agree. I bought several yards of black fabric from IKEA that I use for a black backdrop, and a roll of white seamless isn't prohibitively expensive.

... and if I'm feeling lazy and I still want a black backdrop, I'll just shoot outside at night and not bother putting up any backdrop at all.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

benfringuello
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 28, 2014 13:31 |  #10

I always light the white sheet to make sure nothing shows through that may be behind it. Also, I try to iron them as well as I can but I always end up using the photoshop blur tool to fix some wrinkles.

Strontium
Durr?
7,291 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 28, 2014 13:36 |  #11

benfringuello wrote in post #17354365 (external link)
I always light the white sheet to make sure nothing shows through that may be behind it. Also, I try to iron them as well as I can but I always end up using the photoshop blur tool to fix some wrinkles.

How does one 'try' to iron a sheet?

I am I

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 28, 2014 14:41 |  #12

Strontium wrote in post #17354371 (external link)
How does one 'try' to iron a sheet?

I imagine it's along the same lines of 'trying' to make a useful comment.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Strontium
Durr?
7,291 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 28, 2014 14:45 |  #13

BrandonSi wrote in post #17354461 (external link)
I imagine it's along the same lines of 'trying' to make a useful comment.

Touche. Sarcasm begets sarcasm. Necro thread begets sarcastic replies.

I am I

icor1031
872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 17, 2018 02:32 |  #14

Strontium wrote in post #17354469 (external link)
Touche. Sarcasm begets sarcasm. Necro thread begets sarcastic replies.

What does necro of sarcastic replies beget, Fallout boy?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135/2 || Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 || Sigma 85/1.4 ART || Helios 44-2 58/2 || Sigma 50/1.4 Art || Canon 24/2.8 || Rokinon 14/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
7,291 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 17, 2018 05:33 |  #15

icor1031 wrote in post #18772377 (external link)
What does necro of sarcastic replies beget, Fallout boy?

I'll tell you in 4 years.

I am I

sponsored links

39,614 views & 12 likes for this thread
Using a bed sheet as a backdrop?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.