Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 06:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

School me on Acra Swiss style lens plates

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 31, 2011 06:25 |  #1

I am trying to figure out what Acra-Swiss style plates I need for two of my lenses. I have studied some of the offerings for sale by Wimberley and Kirk and noted the lengths of the recommended plates for each lens. I also see Kirk sells their "generic" plates on eBay for about half the price of their "custom" plates. If the lengths are almost identical, why spend double for the custom plates? Am I missing something here?
Thanks.

sponsored links
M635_Guy
232 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 31, 2011 07:40 |  #2

What lenses are we talking about?

My guess is the feet might have spacing/overhang or other needs that dictate a specific plate. The generic will probably physically work, but...

My blog: Enthusiast Photographer (external link)
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/e24mpwr/sets/ (external link)

RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 31, 2011 08:58 |  #3

Sometimes, it's how they position the screw hole(s). A generic plate may have a slot in it for moving the screw to match your lens base, where one made for that base may simply have a hole in the proper location.

I'm not at all sure that's enough of a reason to pay a lot more for your plate, but along with length it could be one of the differences.

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 31, 2011 09:09 as a reply to  @ RandyS's post |  #4

This is not a direct answer to your question but something else to keep in mind when buying plates is the clamp that they will be used with. The Arca Swiss style plates are not all the exact same dimensions. For example, RRS recommends using only their plates or Wimberley plates because the dovetail on them is slightly thicker than other brands of plates. Just thought I would throw that out there since I came across that a little while ago when switching from Manfrotto products.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 31, 2011 09:46 as a reply to  @ yourdoinitwrong's post |  #5

I have a Sigma 150-500 5-6.3 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 that I am getting plates for.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 31, 2011 10:35 |  #6

I'd be willing the bet the Really Right Still L84 lens plate would work fine on the tripod ring mounts of either of those lenses.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 04, 2012 20:14 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #7

I am still thinking about this too much... Why would a recommended lens plate be 6.5 inches when the lens ring pad is only 3.5 inches long?

ben_r_
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 04, 2012 20:23 |  #8

6.5 inches?! What lens plate are you looking at that is that long?!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 04, 2012 22:56 |  #9

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #13648085 (external link)
I am still thinking about this too much... Why would a recommended lens plate be 6.5 inches when the lens ring pad is only 3.5 inches long?

You might get a longer plate for better balance. A 1Dm4 is a bit heavier than say a Rebel film body. It's nice to be able to slide the plate in the clamp for better balance, especially in a gimbal. Another thing is it can double as a nodal slide if you're shooting panos.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 05, 2012 04:53 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #13648123 (external link)
6.5 inches?! What lens plate are you looking at that is that long?!

All the plate makers, Wimberley, RRS, and Kirk recommend lens plates about 6 inches long for the Sigma 150-500. They also recommend a lens plate about 3 inches long for the Tamron 70-200. Like KLR B said, I assume it is so I can slide the lens/camera back and forth until I find the balance point but since I don't have them in hand, I'm just guessing.

ben_r_
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 05, 2012 11:56 |  #11

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #13649851 (external link)
All the plate makers, Wimberley, RRS, and Kirk recommend lens plates about 6 inches long for the Sigma 150-500. They also recommend a lens plate about 3 inches long for the Tamron 70-200. Like KLR B said, I assume it is so I can slide the lens/camera back and forth until I find the balance point but since I don't have them in hand, I'm just guessing.

Huh.... Wait, how long is the foot on the tripod mount for that lens?

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/multiple_images/item_images/IMG_29497.jpg

Looks like maybe 4 inches?

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 05, 2012 18:06 |  #12

ben_r_ wrote in post #13651588 (external link)
Huh.... Wait, how long is the foot on the tripod mount for that lens? Looks like maybe 4 inches?

Yes, the entire foot is 4" long with one screw hole. Wimberley recommends their P-50 which is a hair over 6.5" long and has three screws. From my novice perspective I would think a 4" lens plate would be long enough.:confused:
Which makes me wonder what I'm not seeing or thinking of. Perhaps the extra length is to add on flash brackets or??? something.

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 05, 2012 18:25 as a reply to  @ Hoosier Writer's post |  #13

Well, about two seconds after my last post I found a video on lens plates. I think the reason for the extra length is just what klr.b suggested. The extra length can be used to balance the camera and lens on a gimbal head to find the "sweet spot".

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 05, 2012 19:09 |  #14

Take a look at the Benro plates - PU-150 should do the trick.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2012 04:04 |  #15

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #13653661 (external link)
Well, about two seconds after my last post I found a video on lens plates. I think the reason for the extra length is just what klr.b suggested. The extra length can be used to balance the camera and lens on a gimbal head to find the "sweet spot".

Yes, it's essential, even on a prime lens that doesn't change length. Getting the setup balanced is essential if you're going to be using a gimbal head (and if you're sticking one of these long lenses on a tripod you really need to be using a gimbal).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
School me on Acra Swiss style lens plates
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.