Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jan 2012 (Monday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Debating on going back to school for design/photography....

Ross ­ J
147 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 04, 2012 19:01 as a reply to  @ post 13646725 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

SethDuBois makes an interesting point of discussion about hands-on training because photography technique can only really be learned in practice. Each photography school or department is going to be unique in the sense that the instructors are unique as individuals. However, my general experience is that there are two basic types of schools. The first is the hands-on school that is heavy into technique but light on theory. The second is the classroom type of school that is heavy into theory but light on technique. Generally, the vocational type of art schools are the most hands-on while the college/university system is the most theoretical.

Balance is necessary to be really good at something, so a person really needs to have both hands-on technical training and a good liberal art history/ theory background in order to be the most well rounded. Unfortunately, it's not usually possible to get both of those at just one school and almost impossible to get them by being self-taught. The bad thing about being self-taught is that it lacks the context of a knowledgeable community. At school, there is a lot of competition so each individual student can judge his work directly against the work of his peers. Most self-taught folks only have friends, family and casual acquaintances as an audience so they never really know if they are "shooting up or shooting down." In other words, they lack the competitive community experience to help them figure out of they're actually improving or just getting stuck repeating themselves. Folks like Ansel Adams were self-taught BUT his close friends were top members of the arts community of the time so he still was part of a highly competitive community. It's very easy to please an average audience but really hard to please a knowledgeable audience and that's the achilles heel of most self-taught photography education.

sponsored links
SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 04, 2012 19:56 |  #17

^ Very, very good point on the self-taught theory. I'm on the page of being self-taught and not having many people around to learn from or get feedback from. A lot of my friends think I'm an awesome photographer, and often comment on how my work is "incredible". It was nice to hear initially, but at this point I'd rather them tell me it sucked and offer me suggestions for improvement. That's where this forum comes in to play, the critiques help to keep me humbled :lol:.

Balance really is the key. Learning theory is just as important as first hand experience. Theory is essentially knowledge provided from others first hand experience anyways. Hands on learning involves a lot of trial and error. If you learn about other peoples errors or achievements before hand, then you can arrive at any given goal in a quicker amount of time with a lot less errors. This is speaking generally of course, but the point is if you are really interested in photography classes then I'm certain you will gain something from them.

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)
www.sethdubois.com (external link)

PinknBlue
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 04, 2012 21:27 |  #18

Hi,

I have almost finished my degree in Marketing and Creative Services. You can major in Photomedia with this degree as well. I advanced to 3rd level in photography (got recognition for first two units because of previous experience).

I'd do it, but go for a mix of photography & business/marketing so you will know how to make your business grow.

The best thing about it is having access to a professional studio any time and being able to borrow awesome gear to take home. Worst thing about it was i taught myself everything i know - the uni taught me next to nothing.

Hope that helps.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 450D; EF 70-300mm, 17-85mm EFS, EFS 10-22mm., 50mm 1.8.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 05, 2012 10:04 |  #19

SethDuBois wrote in post #13647998 (external link)
^ Very, very good point on the self-taught theory. I'm on the page of being self-taught and not having many people around to learn from or get feedback from.

Isn't that why you're here? ;)
If you're a self-starter, I don't think there's a better source for learning these days than a good photography forum. You have access to a whole world of experience.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 05, 2012 12:12 |  #20

getting education is always good.
if you have the time and money, i say go for it!

i,too, am self taught for most things.. I am a full time web developer/reporting analyst (.net, php, sql, etc, etc) and self taught :D.. i also do about 15 weddings a year (also self taught) :)

Don't Click This (external link)

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 05, 2012 17:40 |  #21

PhotosGuy wrote in post #13650951 (external link)
Isn't that why you're here? ;)

SethDuBois wrote in post #13647998 (external link)
That's where this forum comes in to play, the critiques help to keep me humbled :lol:.

You bet! ;)

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 05, 2012 20:03 |  #22

I would highly highly recommend business and/or marketing classes if you want to grow your photography business. if you already have a degree, you can likely take some classes at a local community college and learn some good things. If you don't, I'd recommend taking business classes over photography classes and getting a degree in business over photography.

One of the best classes I took in college was called Promotional Marketing. It talked about how to create and build a promotion which maximizes the return on investment, and was a very hands-on class. We took a $2,500 budget and grew it to over $16,000 in direct revenue for a local business.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2012 20:52 |  #23

It's possible that you're really struggling with focus for your photography. What do you shoot? Are you really good at it? Are your areas of interest something you can move forward to paid work? Is that what you're looking for?

When I started shooting, sports was my main area of focus. And boy, did I SUCK at it! I hung around here, looked at images from those who were already experienced, (and very good!) sports shooters. What I saw here set the bar quite high.

It wasn't all that long until I was producing images nearly as good as the better sports shooters here at POTN. The main reason I got better is because of the focus on a single subject--sports shooting.

If you don't have some sort of goal in mind, it's tough to motivate yourself to become better at anything. I wasn't satisfied with crap images so I got better in a damn hurry! Now THAT'S motivation!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Rden
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2012 14:02 |  #24

check out lynda.com pay the $25/ month and learn some new things. It's a pretty good resource.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 06, 2012 15:18 |  #25

Ross J wrote in post #13647699 (external link)
SethDuBois makes an interesting point of discussion about hands-on training because photography technique can only really be learned in practice. Each photography school or department is going to be unique in the sense that the instructors are unique as individuals. However, my general experience is that there are two basic types of schools. The first is the hands-on school that is heavy into technique but light on theory. The second is the classroom type of school that is heavy into theory but light on technique. Generally, the vocational type of art schools are the most hands-on while the college/university system is the most theoretical.

Balance is necessary to be really good at something, so a person really needs to have both hands-on technical training and a good liberal art history/ theory background in order to be the most well rounded. Unfortunately, it's not usually possible to get both of those at just one school and almost impossible to get them by being self-taught. The bad thing about being self-taught is that it lacks the context of a knowledgeable community. At school, there is a lot of competition so each individual student can judge his work directly against the work of his peers. Most self-taught folks only have friends, family and casual acquaintances as an audience so they never really know if they are "shooting up or shooting down." In other words, they lack the competitive community experience to help them figure out of they're actually improving or just getting stuck repeating themselves. Folks like Ansel Adams were self-taught BUT his close friends were top members of the arts community of the time so he still was part of a highly competitive community. It's very easy to please an average audience but really hard to please a knowledgeable audience and that's the achilles heel of most self-taught photography education.

Yes because most of the time and most (not all) only learn what they want to learn and stay away from things that they probably should learn. Good schools will force you into situations that many would never go into. Photography is a discipline. The easy part and one part that can really take years to get extremely proficient at, is the technical side. The really hard side and the side that can really only thrive, usually after the technique as become second nature, is the visual side. Art history and the history of photography are so important as learning things like 2 dimensional design and color theory.

A good school will focus on both and I was very, very lucky to have had several professors that had studies with some of the best. One got his MFA from RISD and had Harry Callahan and Aaron Siskind as teachers. I actually got to meet Callahan before he had his stroke because of the friendship this professor had with Harry.

Learning and working along side other creative people in a very creative environment is so beneficial and has helped me in ways I can't even begin to explain. And then theres the connections and friendship that you make. They can be so valuable and many of mine have been and will be life long.

Adams was self taught kinda I mean when your circle of friends include Weston, Stieglitz, Georgia O'Keeffe, Cunningham and far to many to really mention, most of the significant artists of the time, its a constant education.

Many greats were educated formally. Bresson spent years in school learning art. Uehlsmann has an MFA from Indiana University.

A formal education can cut years off the learning curve and open your mind to things and move you in directions that you might never explore otherwise. I know it helped me and without my education and working for some of the photographers I worked for after graduating I wouldn't be working in the field of photography that I now work in.

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2012 15:56 |  #26

Rden wrote in post #13658316 (external link)
check out lynda.com pay the $25/ month and learn some new things. It's a pretty good resource.

Likewise Kelbytraining.com. Another great resource. How Is spend most of my time at work, along with this :oops:.

sponsored links

2,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Debating on going back to school for design/photography....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.