Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't spend too much time on forums!

Aleness
641 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2012 13:58 |  #1

I've found an interview type article with Giulio Sciorio and some words of wisdom for an aspiring photographer, which I wanted to share:

"Dont get caught up in the technical side of photography. Lean by shooting film with a junky camera. You’ll respect yourself later and will sharpen your skills at seeing much faster then someone who spent thousands of dollars on the latest camera everyone is talking about on the forum. So often I shoot with my Holga or my Yashica TLR just to loosen up and stop thinking about anything other then the light, subject, lines and feeling.
Also stay away from forums. Most commentaries are negative and don’t really shoot much rather, they get lost in the specs of the cameras. Don’t get me wrong I love looking at the latest and greatest cameras but I ask myself, ‘Am I shooting enough? Why do I have time to care about what camera is being released. I need to shoot more.”
Focus on the craft. Learn what makes a good photography good. Plan your shots out in advance but also assign yourself shoots that are fun and loose and don’t worry about not knowing Photoshop.
Don’t let the grumpy photographers scare you. Yes the business (if your goal is to start a business) is very challenging but those who have a bad attitude simply did not run their business right and are basing their lives in fear. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, welcome them. That’s how you learn. Yes right now you suck and you don’t have a clue. Keep that mindset! You might one day think you know a lot about photography then you meet someone who knows way more then you and are very chill and you realize you still suck so you study and shoot more. Just keep shooting.

If you don’t know what to shoot shoot anything. Do a series on found garbage, photography peoples feet while taking a walk. Shoot whatever just keep shooting.

Regardless of what you shoot keep in mind that its #1 A BUSINESS. Treat it as such. #2 Market #3 Shoot and #4 Get paid. If you market and build a brand you’ll do fine. Just don’t think you’re hot sh*t, there’s always someone better and nothing is original so don’t even think about it."

Bunnies will rule the world!
---------------
Websiteexternal link | Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 05, 2012 14:09 |  #2

Aleness wrote in post #13652236 (external link)
Regardless of what you shoot keep in mind that its #1 A BUSINESS. Treat it as such. #2 Market #3 Shoot and #4 Get paid. If you market and build a brand you’ll do fine. Just don’t think you’re hot sh*t, there’s always someone better and nothing is original so don’t even think about it."

pretty much... 80% business, 20% photography :)

Don't Click This (external link)

team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 05, 2012 19:19 |  #3

well its not always #1 a business. For some like myself its 0% business.
but you're pretty much right.
dont spend too much time on forums when you could be shooting. They are useful for ideas and info, I disagree that shooting film is needed, why move backwards with technology when its not needed. Be good with what you have access too.
Same goes for gear, no need to care about the newest and best, use what you have and learn how to utilize it

My 500px (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 05, 2012 22:54 |  #4

I stopped reading after the first few sentences. Silly stuff.

Anthrax15
196 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 06, 2012 02:37 |  #5

I agree a lot with what you have stated. I am just starting my photography hobby and spend much time here when I should be shooting and trying to improve. When I do shoot, I believe I make leaps and bounds bettering my photgraphy skills.

I do think though that even though there is negative things here, there is much knowledge to be gained on beneficial forums like this. I have tried to photograph in my own way but also take reference from others shots. It sometimes helps me plan out how to an excute a shot.

I'd love to turn this into a business but for me it's a great hobby. I think too many people expect this to become a business just because they've bought an expensive camera.

5D MkII|24-105L|50 F1.8|100 F2.8|
flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2012 02:47 |  #6

Who is Giulio Sciorio?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 06, 2012 03:12 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #13655054 (external link)

Hmmm... 21,266 posts.
Obviously you spend too much time here.
Therefore, you felt guilty and stopped reading :)

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2012 03:17 |  #8

iluxa007 wrote in post #13655780 (external link)
Hmmm... 21,266 posts.
Obviously you spend too much time here.
Therefore, you felt guilty and stopped reading :)

I have over 30,000 posts and kept reading. Still thought it was silly. Silly because it was token "be different for the sake of being different" advice you slap on a blog somewhere to sound like you know what you're talking about without going in depth at all.

I still don't know who this guy is and why we should listen to him instead of our fellow forumites. I'm guessing he's a nobody who does seminars. I get spam about those all the time just because I'm easy to find on Google.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 06, 2012 03:18 |  #9

Aleness wrote in post #13652236 (external link)
Also stay away from forums. Most commentaries are negative and don’t really shoot much rather, they get lost in the specs of the cameras.

Obviously never been to POTN...:D

I'm always open to other's ideas but this is really just another take on the same old tired rhetoric. I was waiting for the bit where "GWCs are ruining the photography business".

And like CDI, I'm ignorant to who this person is...and after reading the burst above I'm not entirely convinced it's worth the 5 seconds it would take to Google him.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2012 04:54 |  #10

nicksan wrote in post #13655054 (external link)

Yup. As soon as any 'expert' starts telling me that I can learn faster with a ****ty camera my BS sensors go off and I stop reading.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2012 06:44 |  #11

I agree with some of the points he's making, but everybody is different. I will admit that I don't shoot as much as I want to, but I really do think that if spending money and buying new gear is what keeps you excited in this hobby, power to you! If I still just had my Rebel with a kit lens and didn't go on the internet, it would probably be sitting in a bag with a dead battery. When people say "go out and shoot, keep shooting!!!" to me that is like telling an alcoholic "stop drinking!!!' Do what works for YOU.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

JAE ­ Photography
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 06, 2012 08:03 |  #12

What else am I going to do at work?

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1926140 (external link)
http://www.jae-photography.net/ (external link) (nsfw)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 06, 2012 08:18 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

JAE Photography wrote in post #13656384 (external link)
What else am I going to do at work?

LOL! +1 on that one. I do same at work (I work 12 hour shifts)

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 06, 2012 09:27 as a reply to  @ iLvision's post |  #14

As to who he is, he's a miami-based photog who apparently shoots for various record labels and publishers.

I don't think it's silly at all. But with stuff like:

Learn what makes a good photography good. Plan your shots out in advance

and

the business (if your goal is to start a business) is very challenging

neither is it (yawn) original.

As to forums, I think that's pretty much old news, too. I think most everybody already knows that forums everywhere contain gearheads that spend more time researching specs than learning how to compose a picture.

Website (external link) |

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2012 10:59 |  #15

SOK wrote in post #13655791 (external link)
Obviously never been to POTN...:D

+1 on that!

I have learned more here than anywhere else. Plus most members here actually do try to help once you weed out a slight few.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

3,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't spend too much time on forums!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.