Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 05 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon.com

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 05, 2012 20:51 |  #1

This thread has no real point...

Just wanted to say I love Amazon, it’s the greatest thing ever for online shopping, BUT...

You just never know how things are going to be packaged. I've ordered delicate items that come to me destroyed in nothing but a bubble wrap envelope and then you have what I received today.

I ordered a Pelican case. A larger 1620, empty, that will be used as general storage and occasional travel for some gear. It comes to me in a huge Amazon box. Inside the box was a bunch of paper padding and the Pelican box all sealed up with the Pelican case inside. Go figure, a virtually indestructible shipping container gets shipped double boxed, but my new electric razor head comes flattened like a freaking pancake in a envelop.

Anyway... Love Amazon, but what’s up with shipping?

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2012 21:12 |  #2

I think it's a volume operation, get it out the door and hope it arrives ok. Most packages do, so it must be working.

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 05, 2012 21:18 |  #3

I've never had one problem with an amazon package and average over 100 orders per year. I love prime.

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 05, 2012 21:31 |  #4

I agree. Amazon packaging is hit and miss. I order a lot from Amazon and love their prime service but more often than not I shake my head about the packaging - I miss the old days when peanuts where used to fill empty space in the box.

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2012 21:34 |  #5

I love amazon too. The UPS guy asked if I owned their stock. One gripe I have now is their supersaver shipping. It comes slow boat USPS, wasn't always that way. I got the amazon prime now, kind of pricy, but came in really handy for Christmas.

Some Stuff

Lacks_focus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 06, 2012 05:57 |  #6

Apollo.11 wrote in post #13654658 (external link)
One gripe I have now is their supersaver shipping. It comes slow boat USPS

That's hit or miss too. I always select the free shipping if the item qualifies. Sometimes it takes a while, but many times I've been surprised. With all the storms we had in the north east this year, I bit the bullet and ordered a 6500 watt portable gas generator from Amazon. A large heavy item that I thought would take some time to see. Free shipping was offered, which is amazing because it came by a third party freight carrier. Ordered it on a Monday, it was at my door on Friday. This Pelican case I'm talking about took a just over a week. With that generator, I paid just about what everyone else was selling the same item for on line and locally (if you could find one local), but with no tax or shipping cost, the real savings was close to $200.00! For many things, Amazon is hard to beat.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 06, 2012 06:37 |  #7

I ordered my 70-200 2.8 IS II from Amazon. It came yesterday in a box a little larger than the actual lens box, but packed pretty loosely. I was very surprised. Came out of TN. The lens is fine as it's packed like crazy overkill from Canon. Just that the packer probably didn't care that a $2300 lens was in it. No complaints, came on time and in great condition inside the box. But, a lot of times it's not shipped by Amazon directly, and depending on the item, what's available to use for shipping at the shipping center is what gets used. For instance, my son ordered a micro size card for his phone and got it in a large yellow bubble envelope. All that was in there was the smallest little plastic bag with the micro card inside. Why they could not have put it in a small yellow envelope was silly, but probably all they had.

I have PRIME and it's the best. With the family plan, my kids all get their stuff shipped free as well and I get to watch old shows on their Prime Video thing. Love that, too!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

B. ­ Wong
37 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 06, 2012 07:42 |  #8

Are you getting it from Amazon or through a retailer on Amazon? I noticed that Amazon themselves ship things very nicely but when I have to get it via a 3rd party on Amazon it's usually in a bubble wrap envelope.

Lacks_focus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 06, 2012 08:12 |  #9

B. Wong wrote in post #13656300 (external link)
Are you getting it from Amazon or through a retailer on Amazon? I noticed that Amazon themselves ship things very nicely but when I have to get it via a 3rd party on Amazon it's usually in a bubble wrap envelope.

I'm pretty sure the destroyed razor head I mentioned was a 3rd party vendor, so that is likely true. To the vendor’s credit, they did replace the head no questions asked, but the new one came in the same freaking envelope. I did order a Domke F802 recently from Amazon (actually shipped and sold by them) and had the same experience SuzyVeiw had. A large box with the item floating loosely inside. It was a bag, so I didn’t care at all, but if it was a lens or something similar, it may have been a concern to me.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2012 18:28 |  #10

Yea I know what you mean. I think it matters whos packing on what day, from what warehouse. Either way I LOVE amazon. Best company since sliced bread!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

mn ­ shutterbug
916 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 07, 2012 11:58 |  #11

I bought a new weed whacker last spring and I couldn't believe how loosely it was boxed. I was surprised it actually ran, and it was direct from Amazon. Speaking uf USPS, if you choose parcel post, it can take up to 2 weeks for it to arrive. It goes by space available because I'm told they don't make any money from parcel post. I sent a bunch of coffee mugs to a photographer in Alaska and it took 2 1/2 weeks. They sat in Washington for almost 2 weeks before they could find room on a plane. My last shipment of mugs to Florida took darned near 2 weeks, and Christmas was past. But when I offer flat rate shipping, I have to choose the cheapest route. Priority mail would only take 2 - 4 days.

sponsored links

1,518 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon.com
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.