Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Regret and my 7D

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,178 posts
Gallery: 292 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2012 21:03 |  #136

TeamSpeed wrote in post #13654435 (external link)
Here is a mix of pics from both formats

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

hey there teamspeed, great shots, love the pout. think the second may be fullframe but not sure on the others

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

sponsored links
Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2012 21:08 |  #137

Thorrulz wrote in post #13654089 (external link)
You may also want to check out this interview Matt Brandon had with Zach Arias about chasing the never ending upgrade path. LINK (external link)

I enjoyed that interview - thank you very much for the link.

alann
Goldmember
2,611 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 05, 2012 21:09 |  #138

I bet ya the second and last are FF. No, I have not clicked on exif yet. :)

My FLickrPage (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,607 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 05, 2012 21:10 |  #139

Happy = FF, Unhappy = 7D

Funny how that happened eh? :lol: I set that up to be in the spirit of the OP's post. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2012 21:28 |  #140

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #13654513 (external link)
I enjoyed that interview - thank you very much for the link.

Thanks, every once in awhile I find a gem while doing my research on how to take better pics.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

bberg
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 05, 2012 21:33 |  #141

aladyforty wrote in post #13654471 (external link)
you are good LOL, yes that is the original 5D which in my opinion was better portrait wise than the 5DII. That said the other two were crop sensor and I don't think I had to do much work at all on them, the last one was at ISO 2500. I think if all you are going to take pics of is still portraits, yes upgrade (if you can call it that) to full frame, but otherwise wait it out. in the next couple of years there will be some big changes in cameras. I am very partial to the range-finder style of camera these days but I've been told NO MORE CAMERAS:lol:

Agree with what you said about the original 5D. I have one myself and believe it's still one of the best IQ cameras (esp. portrait) available today. There is just something special about the files it produces.

Berg | Imagery (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,178 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2012 22:19 |  #142

bberg wrote in post #13654655 (external link)
Agree with what you said about the original 5D. I have one myself and believe it's still one of the best IQ cameras (esp. portrait) available today. There is just something special about the files it produces.

Yeah I sold mine and sometimes regret it. maybe will pick one up as a backup for the weddings I do

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,178 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2012 22:27 |  #143

TeamSpeed wrote in post #13654525 (external link)
Happy = FF, Unhappy = 7D

Funny how that happened eh? :lol: I set that up to be in the spirit of the OP's post. :)

I had #3 picked as Full frame :)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,178 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2012 22:36 |  #144

You may also want to check out this interview Matt Brandon had with Zach Arias about chasing the never ending upgrade path. LINK (external link)

thanks for that interesting ha ha to quote him "I'm burned out and it sucks come to my workshop"

He really speaks a lot of truth in people getting caught up in the gear

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 05, 2012 23:01 as a reply to  @ aladyforty's post |  #145

@ Teamspeed

Hmmm, much tougher on these!

I initially had the first one as FF, then wasn't so sure.
Second one looked FF to me, but again, could have gone either way!
Third one was crop (again, very, very close)
Fourth one looked like a 5D FF to me.

In the end, I decided it was

FF
FF
Crop
FF

So, I got the first one wrong.

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

jfueng
61 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 06, 2012 00:59 as a reply to  @ post 13654471 |  #146

What about picking up an elan for $30?

Roy ­ Webber
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 06, 2012 01:05 |  #147

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #13649304 (external link)
I think you are mind f-ing yourself. Just because you see lots of amazing images from the 5D2, it doesn't mean the 7D can't produce the same. It's more a result of the person taking the photo, not the camera. A lot of the people with a 5D2 are just really good, not that FF automagically makes the images better.

I'm not saying the 5D2 doesn't have great IQ, it does, but that the 7D is capable of taking amazing images as well. Look at the many posts here with side by side images from both.

Well put my friend....

Canon 7D, 40D,100-400 IS L, EFS 15-85 IS, EFS 10-22-With Faulty USM, 055XPROB+488RC2, 430 & 580 II Flash, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8-:cool:
Photos (external link)

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 06, 2012 01:50 |  #148

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #13649304 (external link)
I think you are mind f-ing yourself. Just because you see lots of amazing images from the 5D2, it doesn't mean the 7D can't produce the same. It's more a result of the person taking the photo, not the camera. A lot of the people with a 5D2 are just really good, not that FF automagically makes the images better.

I'm not saying the 5D2 doesn't have great IQ, it does, but that the 7D is capable of taking amazing images as well. Look at the many posts here with side by side images from both.

have you owned a 5d2? for me, jumping from my t2i to the 5d2, i saw a huge improvement in IQ especially high iso, low light pictures, as well as the thinner dof. of course, not everyone equipped with a FF becomes a pro, i'm not saying that, but you should see improved iq going from crop to ff.

OP, you might as well put that 7d up for sale right now. i remember you asking about a camera upgrade a few months ago and i think you might as well have bit the bullet back then. it's worth every cent, trust me.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2012 02:38 |  #149

PeyDay17 you are still relatively new to photography and you are going through what many newcomers to photography go through. Wanting to upgrade equipment in search of better images before taking a step back and doing a self examination to see if you are fully utilizing the equipment and knowledge you already have acquired.

I hope you realize you already have one of the finest dslr bodies Canon has ever produced. I would suggest you compliment it with some glass that will bring out the best that the sensor has to offer. Hardware wise I would throw this glass on the 7D.

I would swap out the Canon 85 with the Sigma 85 f/1.4 for tack sharp images even with a narrow dof.
Either the Canon or Sigma 50 f/1.4 will also give you a sharp image even at a very narrow dof.
The 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens is everything you want in a (L) lens and more without the L. No other lens is sharper across all apertures than this lens. And it's for 1.6x only.
Those are not the only choices for good glass of course but they help the 7D produce some amazing images.

I have followed your 365 project with your daughter and you really have some nice photo's and you do have a keen eye for catching some once in a lifetime moments. I can't find much if anything to critique about your composition or shooting style.

One item i have noticed however is many of your portrait pics where your color channels are off by quite a bit. I am mentioning the color imbalance in particular because one thing that helps the mind decide how pleasing a photo may look is the color balance in the photo's presentation to it. It's a mistake many photog's including myself don't realize untill we are shown how to color correct properly by a professional.
Now please don't take it as a harse criticism because I really do think you are one of the more talented young photographers on these forums. I really believe however you would benefit more from a training course say from Chris Orwig over at Lynda.com. Here is a Link (external link)

In whichever path you decide upon keep shooting and I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you very much for the compliments and the help! I will do some research on the color correcting and see if I can improve my post. Im still relatively new to post.

I will look for ways to better myself and see if it can pull me out of this "gear obsession" I've been having lately.

I sold my XSi and 18-55mm to a friend of mine tonight. I'm putting the money towards a sigma 30mm 1.4.

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 06, 2012 02:52 |  #150

...try one more thing, Pey. Upload one image directly here, then link the same image over SmugMug or Flickr and let's see how they look next to each other. I've noticed some linked images from those sites get pretty thin by the time they go through all their processing to save bandwidth.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

sponsored links

32,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Regret and my 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.