Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 06, 2012 08:32 |  #3271

xpfloyd wrote in post #13652657 (external link)
Heres my first ever light painting attempt. Happy with the result although I think the torch on the right of the apple could have been better if not so bright.

Setup -

Black background and surface, maglites either side of apple to illuminate. Maglite to create "Smoke" effect

Really great especially just using torches to light.;)

Mark
Gear List

sponsored links
mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2012 08:59 |  #3272

Hinson wrote in post #13655992 (external link)
Here's my humble setup. Finally got around to making a cheap lightbox to photograph some ebay stuff.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

And here is a shot taken with that setup

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

^c1970's+ famille rose Chinese Vase, probably decorated in Hong Kong... :-)

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 06, 2012 09:42 |  #3273

pridash wrote in post #13655736 (external link)
Yep it is St Pancras! :) I must try and get my own shot of Paddington, but as always its difficult to get a shot without the thousands of commuters around!

Yeah; I wish I had my camera with me on the 28th December when I went back to work; Paddington was empty and one side looks great now they have finished the roof refurbishment.

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,985 posts
Gallery: 638 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 06, 2012 10:40 |  #3274

pilsburypie wrote in post #13656509 (external link)
Really great especially just using torches to light.;)

Thanks

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Jan 06, 2012 11:13 |  #3275

pilsburypie wrote in post #13656495 (external link)
Damn PJ - that is a cracking shot. You have produced some really striking composites that stand out from the crowd.

Apologies for my basic understanding, but how do you "cut out" the girl and "paste" her onto your background? Just wondering as her hair looks hard to do.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to push myself a lot, learning and improving each time so expressions such as yours helps me a lot to keep going. :)

The "Refine Edge" tool in CS5 is the initial and principle tool for the process. After that it's working on the layer mask you produce from it using a number of processes. It's not immensely difficult, but nor is it totally straight forward. I did cheat on this image a bit by cloning some strands of her hair.

mrrikki wrote in post #13656856 (external link)
Yeah; I wish I had my camera with me on the 28th December when I went back to work; Paddington was empty and one side looks great now they have finished the roof refurbishment.

Yh, the xmas hols seems to be the time to get a lot of places at their quietest. Thanks - I'll mark Paddington to my list for next xmas! :D

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

askydiver
221 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 06, 2012 11:19 |  #3276

pridash wrote in post #13657321 (external link)
I did cheat on this image a bit by cloning some strands of her hair.

Your comment made me think of this video (external link). Aaron actually recreates hair in this tutorial to fix where he's clone stamped and masked out some other hair. When he's done you can't even tell.

BTW, I have ZERO affiliation with Aaron or Phlearn. I've purchased several of his tutorials as I think they are top notch. His free videos are also packed with great info on PS and compositng, etc.

1Dx | 7D2 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II | And a few more red lines.

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Jan 06, 2012 11:28 |  #3277

askydiver wrote in post #13657370 (external link)
Your comment made me think of this video (external link). Aaron actually recreates hair in this tutorial to fix where he's clone stamped and masked out some other hair. When he's done you can't even tell.

BTW, I have ZERO affiliation with Aaron or Phlearn. I've purchased several of his tutorials as I think they are top notch. His free videos are also packed with great info on PS and compositng, etc.

Aaron is a legend - I'm admired him for years (as well as his ex-girlfriend Rosie)...and I still get gobsmacked at his PS skills - at times it borders on hate because he makes me look like someone using MS Paint for editing! :oops: :D

I don't think you haven't wasted any money at all buying his tuts - the more information you can soak up, the more you can apply for your own benefit.

Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2012 11:32 |  #3278

mtimber wrote in post #13656640 (external link)
^c1970's+ famille rose Chinese Vase, probably decorated in Hong Kong... :-)

I think you nailed it. I got it from a wholesaler sometime in the early '70s.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Bioshock
469 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Jan 06, 2012 13:58 |  #3279

pridash wrote in post #13652291 (external link)
I don't usually show SOOC shots, but here goes...

Set up (light at front not shown but is almost on axis):-

IMG_9204 (external link) by P Lawrence (external link), on Flickr

Final: -

Before it's too late... (external link) by P Lawrence (external link), on Flickr

Outstanding work PJ. Simply stunning. I've been wanting to do some composite work but keep getting distracted by Modern Warfare 3. :D

Kevin: 5D Mark III, Canon 7D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Sigma 10-20mm,Kenko Tubes, 430ex
My Site, (external link) Flickr (external link), Facebook Photo Page (external link), Tweet with me (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/kmillerphotography (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,985 posts
Gallery: 638 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 06, 2012 14:35 |  #3280

This thread is by far my favourite thread on these forums. So inspiring seeing what other people come up with and then trying to either mimic it or top it. Keeps my drive going when the weather aint so great outside for shots.

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2012 14:43 |  #3281

Bioshock wrote in post #13658296 (external link)
Outstanding work PJ. Simply stunning. I've been wanting to do some composite work but keep getting distracted by Modern Warfare 3. :D

Thx. :)...and I get that - I was hooked on Rage & Deus Ex for ages - couldn't stop myself :D...which reminds me I haven't completed the DLC! :D...also need to play Crysis again on hardest setting! :lol:

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 06, 2012 15:17 |  #3282

3-1/2 hours of reading. Wow- amazing set ups. Subscribed to learn some more!

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2012 00:28 |  #3283

set up. 2 borrowed alienbees. but one is not really noticeable in the pic. Since this I have gotten some better diffusers etc that I think would have worked nice during this shoot. I generally use a couple yn560 and a couple other lights I have.

I do think this could be much better but I'm still learning about using light and proper post. In this particular case I am not that upset about the end result. sorry about the shaky image as i was in a rush to get this done because it was cold.

IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/nnqeqw.jpg

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/mwp9fr.jpg

Tete

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2012 04:03 |  #3284

^^^ Good shot, but it looks a little underexposed. Watch your histogram when taking the shot - I suspect it was bunched up to the left for this one.

Also, when you have three lights and you're shooting in front of a dark background (or at night), use one of those lights as rim to separate yourself from the background.

Once you start to get perfect that, watch for specular highlights - there's one on the bike's tank that is distracting. It can be quite hard to avoid it on shiny objects, but your placement of the lights will determine if and where those highlights form.

Hope that helps. :)

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2012 08:20 |  #3285

tete wrote in post #13661570 (external link)
set up. 2 borrowed alienbees. but one is not really noticeable in the pic. Since this I have gotten some better diffusers etc that I think would have worked nice during this shoot. I generally use a couple yn560 and a couple other lights I have.

I do think this could be much better but I'm still learning about using light and proper post. In this particular case I am not that upset about the end result. sorry about the shaky image as i was in a rush to get this done because it was cold.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Tete

Nice shot and great idea. I might try something similar with my bike.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,112,164 views & 11,067 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.