Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jan 2012 (Friday) 13:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D and 430EX and 550EX issues

redneck6497
42 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2012 13:59 |  #1

Hi All,

I recently got a 7D and have a few flash questions.

1) Does the 7D and 430EX and 550EX fully integrate with the 7D? The reason I ask is that I can't get to the flash custom functions when the camera is on, or off the hotshoe. Also, when the camera is off the hotshoe, I am unable to even see the settings for either of the above flashes.

2) With this combination, it looks like the only thing that triggers the flash is the flash of the 7D actually going off itself. Isn't this more like the ST-E2 using some sort of red light to communicate? Apparently this sort of thing works regardless of what E-TTL flash you are using.

3) What does it mean when the display on the 550EX is flashing?

Thanks

7D | 550D | 10D | 24-135 EF IS | 17-40 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L | 18-55 EF-S | 80 EF 1.8 | 50 EF 1.8 | 24-70 2.8L | 10-22 EF-S | 550EX | 430 EX | ST-E2

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2012 14:46 |  #2

I can pretty much answer question 2 & 3.....

The camera as well as the flashes communicate with each other using a series of "flash pulses" (white light) not via infrared signals like the ST-E2. So that is the reason why you see the 7d flash. And depending on how you set it up, the "Pre-Flash" (which is the set of pulsating flashes that sends the signal to the other flashes) happens before the camera even opens the aperture to expose for the scene. Now, you should be able to set in the camera menu that you also want the 7D's flash to help with the exposure, in other words, once the pre-flash finishes sending it's signal to the other flashes, then the 7D on-board Flash will also flash will also "flash" to help with the final exposure. Or you can have it only send the signals to the other flashes and it NOT help with the final exposure.....

Regarding why the flash is blinking, that typically happens when you have the wide-angle diffuser pulled into place over the flash. Slide the wide angle diffuser back into place and the blinking should stop.....

MARK

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 06, 2012 14:50 |  #3

To use the in-camera control menu you need the II versions of the 430ex. The older flashes were built before such foolishness was invented :) All the controls are still available on the flash itself. They will still work with the wireless system, and yes its visible light pulses that control the flashes not infrared.

mabviper
54 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2012 14:51 |  #4

For 1)

The in-camera flash menu is only supported by 430EX II and 580EX II. Any flash before that does not allow you to see the custom functions in the camera.

7D | 15-85mm IS | 30mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN-560

redneck6497
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2012 16:18 as a reply to  @ mabviper's post |  #5

Thanks for all of the help everyone! That answers all of my questions! I'm looking forward to doing some off camera flash work. I have had an umbrella setup for a while that I've used only a handful of times (with good results though). I hope to use all of that stuff more!

7D | 550D | 10D | 24-135 EF IS | 17-40 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L | 18-55 EF-S | 80 EF 1.8 | 50 EF 1.8 | 24-70 2.8L | 10-22 EF-S | 550EX | 430 EX | ST-E2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,343 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D and 430EX and 550EX issues
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.