Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 06 Jan 2012 (Friday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon D4 samples with 100% ISO 12800 crops

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 06, 2012 13:10 |  #1

http://www.alinpopescu​.eu …sare-nikon-d4-in-romania/ (external link)

Looks pretty good. Can't wait for some side by side comparisons once it is released.

Jason

sponsored links
J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 06, 2012 13:16 |  #2

Seems to be that same as a d3s in noise handling... not too impressed now.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jase1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 06, 2012 13:21 |  #3

Getting the same noise performance of the d3S at the pixel level with improved detail with the increase in resolution is still pretty good. probably wouldn't compel me to upgrade from a d3s but canon doesn't have anything released that can match it yet. Have to wait for some 1dx samples. I hear the improvement in noise with the 1dx isn't raw, but with in camera jpg. I wonder how many stops of noise improvement is with raw.

Jason

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2012 18:01 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Apparently the D4 is approximately 1 stop better in terms of ISO quality. than the D3s

Wedding photography (external link)

jase1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 06, 2012 18:04 |  #5

Please define that for me. Sounds like marketing speak.

Jason

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2012 18:07 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

You'd have to listen to the Fro knows photo guy (if you can bare it as he personally drives me nut's)

http://www.youtube.com …U&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

Bond_Savingsbond
929 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 06, 2012 18:12 |  #7

jase1125 wrote in post #13659808 (external link)

Well it kinda is marketing speak until some current/former D3S owners try out the D4 like Jarid Polion (as an example) and do comparison shots (I'm sure there is some kind of NDA given to certain photographers who are itching to give their reviews about the new toys they got to play with).

Its kinda like when they announced the 70-200 IS 2.8 MK II and they made claims about the image stabilizer being new and improved. Or when the 5D mk II was announced and it's low light capabilities were mentioned. Until people finally got to take them out on a real world test and show samples.

I'm kinda excited to see what comes in the next few weeks for all Camera manufacturers.

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf35 1.4,xf90mm, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)
Sony A7III, 28-70kit(nice lens), Sony20 1.8

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 06, 2012 18:15 |  #8

12800, flat colours and nasty.

Chris Giles Photography

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 09, 2012 00:31 |  #9

jase1125 wrote in post #13659808 (external link)

It means that 6400 in the new camera is like 3200 in the old one. Pretty simple actually.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

jase1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 09, 2012 07:03 |  #10

elrey2375 wrote in post #13671734 (external link)
It means that 6400 in the new camera is like 3200 in the old one. Pretty simple actually.

That is not the typical wording used when a manufacturer improves high ISO performance by one stop. Hence, my question on what Nikon is really stating.

Jason

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 09, 2012 07:18 |  #11

High ISO noise isn't simply noise alone though. For starters you have luminance noise and color noise. Color noise is much nicer to work with / get rid off (even manually, with little or no effort in LAB mode). Luminance noise can ruin your shot or make you lose details when treated too aggressively.

Another aspect is how the raw files handle noise reduction.
If I take a shot at ISO 3200 with my 5D, it looks horrible (sooc).
If I take the same shot with my 40D, it also looks horrible, and about equal to the 5D file at first glance.

If I then proceed to do some advanced noise reduction on the 5D file (like noise ninja), it ends up a pretty decent looking file, with virtually no noise and still plenty of details (of course much less than at iso 1600 which is quite good).
If I do the same to my 40D files, they become smudged and ugly compared to the 5D files.

Concluding, some raw files are more susceptible to good noise reduction, in spite of how the files are originally represented. For that same reason I'm not always impressed by noise comparisons in reviews.
I also don't care about their built-in noise reduction algorithms (no matter how good) when shooting jpeg, simply because I never shoot jpeg.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 09, 2012 07:23 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

^^^
I have found in my experience so far, that FF camera's remain sharp at high ISO but just have allot of noise obviously, but crop sensors tend to go blurry, I assume even with the NR turned off in the menu, that the camera still uses some NR when processing the raw data.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 09, 2012 07:48 |  #13

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13672584 (external link)
^^^
I have found in my experience so far, that FF camera's remain sharp at high ISO but just have allot of noise obviously, but crop sensors tend to go blurry, I assume even with the NR turned off in the menu, that the camera still uses some NR when processing the raw data.

The latter could be the case, especially and most obvious with things like long exposure noise reduction (= dark frame substraction), but technically speaking, the camera should not do any processing to the raw file, that's what DPP/lightroom/capture one/bibble etc are for).

I also suspect that the same difference that's so apparent between my 5D and 40D also exists in a certain degree between different full frame bodies. That could mean an older or newer body has more potential for cleaner files.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 09, 2012 07:53 |  #14

I personally was not that impressed with the amount of noise in the 12800 shots...

"Can't list equipment, wife checks here to see what I have bought lately" (calicokat)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 09, 2012 07:53 |  #15

Lets hope the 1dx does better.

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

sponsored links

11,397 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon D4 samples with 100% ISO 12800 crops
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.