Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2012 (Friday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying an expensive lens for the first time - 50L 1.2

AdroitCelerity
39 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 06, 2012 18:24 |  #1

I want to buy a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens because I just love the way it looks, so I'm not looking to get persuaded into buying another L-series of a different focal length. Will I still have it in 5 years? Probably, if not these lenses hold their value well.

I just wanted to know from some people who have more gear and experience:
Is it worth buying insurance for a ~$1400 lens?
It should be able to stand up to wear and tear and last for a lifetime, but in the event that something did happen, repair costs without a warranty would be considerable.

What about buying this lens used? Yes, it's bulletproof* but if I get one on POTN/Ebay/CL/etc. and the focus is off or it's not functioning properly we're looking at repair costs again. I don't see me getting it cheaper than 1200 used and new it comes with a 1 yr warranty.

What do you guys think?

About me: I'm moving beyond entry-level and on a good day I can charge 600-800 a wedding. I'm upgrading from a nifty fifty 1.8.

*exaggeration!

T2i gripped | 50mm 1.2L
www.vanloanfilm.com (external link)

sponsored links
gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 06, 2012 18:35 |  #2

Lenses hold their value very well especially the higher end L glass. The only way I see the price going down is when they release a new version.

I have insurance for all my gear. Im not a pro im a hobbiest. If I get my camera bag stolen i dont want to lose $8500 worth of equipment. Its worry free for less than $300 per year.

A one year warranty on a lens is not that big of a deal. Used is fine and as long as the lens has been taken care of it will last a very long time. An autofucus motor will not wear out in a years time so the waranty is really in my eyes only for focus issues.

what is great about a used lens is it costs less, and they can weed out if its a dud or not. If you buy from a reputable seller used on here or another forum I dont think you can go wrong.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 06, 2012 18:52 |  #3

I have all my gear insured.

I bought my 50L second hand from a member on this forum and it was bulletproof. The only reason I dont have it any more is because I got offered a 85L for the same price as a 50L so I took that option.

My advice is go for it, its a great lens and will blow your mind.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,349 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 06, 2012 19:36 |  #4

Occasionally, on lenses with a bit of a reputation, used might be a good idea.

I bought my 100-400L used. This is one of those lenses that prompts people to say "If you get a good copy it is a really good lens blah blah blah."

So I bought a 100-400 from a guy who was willing to send me RAW image files to look over. The lens itself looks like hell. The paint is seriously chipped and worn and the hood squeeks and is kind of loose. There is some dust. The lens is also very sharp throughout the range.

On the other hand, the 24-70 and 50L both kind of have the same reputation and I bought both new. The 24-70 was a success story. I bought it, it is sharp, and I love it.

The 50L was an interesting story. When I first tried one, the lens was new and the 'focus shift' story was breaking news. This turned out to be irrelevant at first because my first 50L was massively defective. It could not resolve anything at any distance. It was like there was vaseline smeared on the front element. I got a second one. The second one had a focus error.

At this point I panicked and returned lens #2 and gave up totally on the 50L. Realistically, lens #2 could have been fixed by a trip to Canon, but the whole focus shift issue plus the experience of lens #1 had me really bothered.

I waited a little over a year and tried again. Lens #3 is very good. Sharp enough at f/1.2 and very sharp by f/1.6, the lens has no focus shift problems in the ranges and apertures that I use it in. It is qucik and sure to focus, and is very resistant to flare plus stellar bokeh charatertistics.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,058 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Location: Chicago & Terminal 1, 3 or 5 with Samsonite & Pelican

Jan 07, 2012 11:32 |  #5

AdroitCelerity wrote in post #13659900 (external link)
I want to buy a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens because I just love the way it looks, so I'm not looking to get persuaded into buying another L-series of a different focal length. Will I still have it in 5 years? Probably, if not these lenses hold their value well.

I just wanted to know from some people who have more gear and experience:
Is it worth buying insurance for a ~$1400 lens?
It should be able to stand up to wear and tear and last for a lifetime, but in the event that something did happen, repair costs without a warranty would be considerable.

What about buying this lens used? Yes, it's bulletproof* but if I get one on POTN/Ebay/CL/etc. and the focus is off or it's not functioning properly we're looking at repair costs again. I don't see me getting it cheaper than 1200 used and new it comes with a 1 yr warranty.

What do you guys think?

About me: I'm moving beyond entry-level and on a good day I can charge 600-800 a wedding. I'm upgrading from a nifty fifty 1.8.

*exaggeration!

Glad you like 50mm. The 50L is a great lens; much better (for me) than a 24-70. I use fast lenses and zooms wide open, hence my opinion.

There shouldn't be any repairs on a lens, perhaps the AF electronics (but that's never); it'll be an abuse issue which insurance won't cover anyway. Insurance is a game of risk. You have to do the math — they did, and they win. I've been a pro for 35 years and had insurance on and off. Judge the risk.

Feel free to get a clean preowned one. Do your research on the right date codes. I buy as many as I can like that, and sell some outstanding lenses to a lucky buyer. Just don't buy an IS lens preowned.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 16-35III, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32

mlackey
20 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 07, 2012 18:10 |  #6

I just wanted to know from some people who have more gear and experience: Is it worth buying insurance for a ~$1400 lens?

My stuff is covered by an additional "rider" on my home-owner's policy.

What about buying this lens used?

I've not checked prices, but... if a new one costs $1400 and a used one costs $1200, that's a 15% discount. If you buy used, you get a 15% discount, but you give up a 1 year warranty, the ability to get it fixed free if it's not right, etc., etc. Only you can decide how you feel about this, and don't let somebody else make that decision for you.

Mike

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,754 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 07, 2012 18:14 as a reply to  @ mlackey's post |  #7

I'm moving beyond entry-level and on a good day I can charge 600-800 a wedding.

i see we have a high roller in our midst ;).

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links

1,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying an expensive lens for the first time - 50L 1.2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.