Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 05 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 23:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

caught one meteor in the meteor shower on wednsday

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 05, 2012 23:46 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6637367071_757c5df7b7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/70374000@N08/6​637367071/  (external link)
meteor (external link) by LMNO Sunset Deluxe (external link), on Flickr

I stood in the cold for 4 hours and got this. It is so hard to focus on objects at night! I found myself using manual focus and then switching to autofocus for a second and back to manual. Finally I realized that I could make out a star in the viewfinder and I was able to get an ok focus going. I just got a T3i for christmas and I am new to photography. I used the stock canon 18-55mm lens at 18mm, f/3.5, iso 800, and exposed it for 15 seconds. I really want a faster lens and Im thinking about going with a tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in the future.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 05, 2012 23:51 |  #2

Oh also I took this at 6:45 am the sun was creepin on the horizon big time.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 07, 2012 14:13 |  #3

Nice. I remember the morning I got up and looked outside for the predicted meteor shower. Not even five minutes later, I saw a big one and ran back to fetch my gear. Two hours later the sun also lit up the horizon and I never got a single pic to show for my effort :-) Yes, focus is difficult and doing it throught the view finder is something I cannot do. Either pre-focus on a distant object before sunset or try live view through a PC.

DRH

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 07, 2012 14:18 |  #4

It's a pretty shot, I dig the car lights a lot in conjunction with the rising sun.

Are you sure that's a meteor though? It's awfully bright for a meteor, unless it was a fireball meteor?

Most meteors hardly show up, usually as faint white lines, starting thin on one end, going a bit fatter in the middle and then thinner on the end.

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2012 14:20 |  #5

I am looking on an iPad...it looks like an airplane, the streak isnot continous but broken lines. Will view in my macbook later to verify.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 07, 2012 16:01 |  #6

you know it could very well be a plane I didnt think of that. There were so many meteors happening it is hard to say. It was supposed to be the biggest quandrantid shower this year so I dunno but I hope its a meteor in the shot other wise I would up with an interesting pre-sun rise.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2012 21:19 |  #7

calypsob wrote in post #13664238 (external link)
you know it could very well be a plane I didnt think of that. There were so many meteors happening it is hard to say. It was supposed to be the biggest quandrantid shower this year so I dunno but I hope its a meteor in the shot other wise I would up with an interesting pre-sun rise.

I looked at it on my macbook and it is a plane...sorry to disappoint you....look at this photo, this was perseids 2010...it was a plane...to start with perseids come from the north I was looking south here.

IMAGE: http://tonyniev.smugmug.com/Astronomy/PerseidsAug122010/IMG6512/968251508_Zv8tf-L-1.jpg

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 07, 2012 21:30 |  #8

Yes, Tony... that's what a meteor looks like.. and that's a great capture btw.. a very visible one.

One of the more visible ones I've captured, and this one had broken into two parts:

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/twilightscapes-47.jpg

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 07, 2012 21:34 |  #9

And occasionally you'll actually see what I was referring to earlier, as a fireball:

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/forums/meteor-turnerfalls-1.jpg

trossite
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2012 10:33 |  #10

Wow Todd!!! That highway shot is just incredible.

Canon T2i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Canon 35mm f/2

sponsored links

3,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
caught one meteor in the meteor shower on wednsday
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.