Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2012 (Friday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading to 5D Mark II or 7D... Why is this decision so hard?

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 06, 2012 18:21 |  #31

Thorrulz wrote in post #13659593 (external link)
I like another comparison. The 5dmii is like the middle child in the family. It spends so much time being jealous of its older (1d) and younger (7d) siblings for the wrong reasons. Rather than making all the fuss about which is better, it should admit it's just different.

Since when is a camera a child?

sponsored links
totoyo
67 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2012 18:53 |  #32

Higgs Boson wrote in post #13658458 (external link)
Wow, I can always count on three new threads regarding the 5D and 7D per day and I can guarantee the attendees as well.....

You can phrase the question any way you want, it WILL turn into a 15 page battle royale with cheese.

I am not sure how someone could recommend the 7D based on your Flickr. nothing is moving.... lol. 5Dii all the way! I've had the 7D as well. Sold it. The 7D is the 1Div's genetically inferior little brother, like the movie Twins.

Hi, both cameras are designed as complementary by Canon, both share the same batteries for example...7D is for wildlife, sports, etc...5D mkII is for landscape, architecture, portraits...but 7D can take good landscape, portraits like the 5D does, and the 5DmkII can do the 7D job...but, 7D do better job in the area of 5DmkII...the camera is the tool, the photographer skills is the matters...i want to show you some pictures taked with the 7D by a great photographer, click on the link at the end of the post...if nobody show me the camera model i could say that were made with a full frame...
cheers.
http://www.flickr.com …477026418/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

7D + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 + EF 28-70 f/2.8L + EF 50mm f/1.8 + Falcon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye + EF 100mm f/2.8L IS + EF 80-200 f/2.8L "magic drainpipe" + 580 EXII + wish to learn

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,496 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 06, 2012 19:01 as a reply to  @ totoyo's post |  #33

Not hard at all; based on your short gallery, the 5D is where you need to go. MkI or MkII could be debated...but I really don't see anything there that would 'require' anything available in the 7D.

Just because the 7D might have newer/cooler tech in it doesn't mean it's a good match to your shooting style

yagger wrote in post #13659130 (external link)
...Have you ever felt that taking candids of people either at a party or urban setting, the 7d would be better?

Specifically for the party setting, the 7D would be worse, as you have to either have more room to back up (and change your perspective in the process) or have shorter glass in order to maintain the framing you want. I think you'd find even your 50 to be awful cramped in most small quarters.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

CAReefer
64 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 06, 2012 19:11 |  #34

The deciding factor for me last time I "upgraded" was actually holding it in my paws. I've never held the 7D so I don't know the size/weight, but the 5D w/grip fits perfectly into my hands and felt ergonomically correct.

The decision may come down to which is more comfortable in your hands.

Canon 5d MK II, 40d, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm 2.8 XR Di LD, "Nifty Fifty", 580 EX II.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2012 19:15 |  #35

yagger wrote in post #13658398 (external link)
To begin with, yes, I have spent countless hours, days and weeks researching this topic but cannot come to a decision. I also want to make it very clear that i am in no way a professional, nor do I consider myself even close to being one. This is simply a hobby for me, and nothing more.

Anyhow, a year and a half ago i purchased my first dslr, a canon rebel t1i. I had the "kit" lens along with the 50-250. I then purchased the nifty first followed by the sigma 10-20.Let's skip the fine details of each lens...

I just got rid of the t1i, 18-55, and 50-250 as i am ready to move onto something better. I've noticed i really like to capture candid moments (however not at close range), want to get into HDR, and night photography. I don't get to travel every other week otherwise I would be all over landscapes as well. I have quickly gathered some pics i had posted on my Facebook page and uploaded them to my flickr account so you can have a look and see what my style is like - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/50669882@N08/ (external link) (excuse the sloppy and quick route).

What i have in mind is the 5D Mark II vs the 7D.
Currently, in Toronto, the 5D M2 is going for $2000 plus tax (save 750$) and 7D at $1400 (save $300) plus tax.

I honestly like the fact that the 7D is a newer and more technologically advanced machine, which is why I'm attracted to it, but the whole FF thing along with what i read about incredible IQ, ISO etc is really getting to me. Is it really worth jumping on that camera even though it's quite "outdated"? The price is right, thats for sure but I am a buyer who usually continues research after a purchase, therefore if something "better" comes out a couple months after i will forever be in regret, hahaha!

I've spent a lot of time on the image uploaded based on camera threads and I've been stunned with the images posted in the 5DM2 thread vs the 7D thread (not really into wildlife or sports photography).

What i am asking is the following:
Based on the pics you see on my flickr, which of the two would you say is better suited for me?

Finally, before this turns into a mess, i do know that the photographer ultimately makes the picture and not the camera, so please, lets keep this clean.

Oh yah, and i do own a decent tripod (manfrotto) and speedlite 580ex II flash.

I appreciate any feedback!

My recommendation would be to take a few hours and look through many of the great photos on the 5Dmk2 thread as well as the 7D thread.

This might help you make up your mind. Either way you're going to get a great camera.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 06, 2012 19:17 |  #36

Yagger, you said "I've noticed i really like to capture candid moments (however not at close range)". That statement plus a look at your gallery says 7D + 24-105L to me. And noisy shots in B&W come out artistically grainy. :D

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

h14nha
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 06, 2012 19:57 |  #37

What lens are you going to use on each camera ? Don't waste time getting a 5dii then putting cheap glass on it to save money. Better have the 7d with stellar glass..........

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 06, 2012 20:21 |  #38

District_History_Fan wrote in post #13659443 (external link)
Yeah, except for more "reach" for a given lens, better low light AF, wireless flash control, EF-S lens compatibility (think amazing 17-55 f/2.8 IS), arguably better build, faster frame rate and servo AF performance (there are times you will need it), and lower price. Other than that, the mystical full frame camera rocks all over the 7D. :lol:

To which, just about everyone here would counter that for the types of pics that the OP posted on flickr (did you look at them?), he doesn't need

- ultra low light AF
- wireless flash
- EF-S lens compatibility (well, mostly, as he sold all the EF-S glass except the 10-20)
- faster frame rate
- servo AF performance

I'm not trying to be argumentative (for once!) but I think many of us agree on the basic pros and cons for the two cameras, but we need to apply them to the needs of the OP to help him make an informed decision, otherwise we're just rehashing the basic pros and cons again, without thought to what HE may need.

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 06, 2012 20:26 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

District_History_Fan wrote in post #13659443 (external link)
Yeah, except for more "reach" for a given lens, better low light AF, wireless flash control, EF-S lens compatibility (think amazing 17-55 f/2.8 IS), arguably better build, faster frame rate and servo AF performance (there are times you will need it), and lower price. Other than that, the mystical full frame camera rocks all over the 7D. :lol:

If I stick to center focus, I get better focus results in low light with the 5d2 than I can with the 7d.

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 06, 2012 21:03 |  #40

totoyo wrote in post #13660084 (external link)
Hi, both cameras are designed as complementary by Canon, both share the same batteries for example...7D is for wildlife, sports, etc...5D mkII is for landscape, architecture, portraits...but 7D can take good landscape, portraits like the 5D does, and the 5DmkII can do the 7D job...but, 7D do better job in the area of 5DmkII...the camera is the tool, the photographer skills is the matters...i want to show you some pictures taked with the 7D by a great photographer, click on the link at the end of the post...if nobody show me the camera model i could say that were made with a full frame...
cheers.
http://www.flickr.com …477026418/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

I thought it was obvious my last sentence was tongue in cheek.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2012 21:26 |  #41

Higgs Boson wrote in post #13660773 (external link)
I thought it was obvious my last sentence was tongue in cheek.

Higgs...... stop being soooooooo ~~~ Controversial ;)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 07, 2012 16:15 |  #42

davidc502 wrote in post #13660931 (external link)
Higgs...... stop being soooooooo ~~~ Controversial ;)

:lol:

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

Sandals
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 07, 2012 16:17 |  #43

If you want the FF then get it.

Alex :p
7D | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Nifty-Fifty | Tamron 10-24mm | Canon 70-200mm F/4 L IS | Canon Speedlite 430ex II |

sponsored links

2,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading to 5D Mark II or 7D... Why is this decision so hard?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.