Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mixing Ambient & Strobe for basketball?

dennykyser
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 30, 2011 15:40 |  #1

Basketball season is here and I want to increase the quality of my images and plan on using strobes, but do not care for the shadows it causes sometimes or the fact you loose some fps. I realize it takes timing but short bursts sometimes gets a great shot that would have been not so great. Eyes closed for example.

I know with my PW Mini and Profoto AcuteB2 Air I can sync at 1500th with my 1DIV, and from what I remember that is a fast enough shutter speed to freeze action in high school ball.

I am thinking about bouncing 1 or 2 AcuteB2air's off the wall and ceiling and just slightly over power the ambient to give some pop and good colors and yet use very little power giving me fast recycle and quick shots. Even if 2 out of 3 shots have strobe and the 3rd doesn't if that shot was the keeper, could probably be salvaged. I have 3 Acuteb2's so could even set one down court for defense shots.

I am thinking about trying this method this weekend at a scrimmage but wanted to see what you thought about my idea before trying.
I know I can go the typical route and shoot at ISO 800 1/250 f/4 and allow the flash to freeze the action but being a portrait photograph I really hate shadows and can't help but wonder if this method would give the best of both worlds.

Here are a couple images I shot last year with out strobe, hoping to improve the colors and shoot at a little lower ISO. This was shot at ISO 3200 1/500 2.8

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 30, 2011 17:19 |  #2

It's worth a shot I suppose. Try using something like 1/800 for shutter and see if you can get enough HSS power from the strobes to make a difference in the shadows. I don't think you can use this strategy to reduce ISO, because you are only going to use the strobes as fill while still exposing the gym for ambient. This will leave you at the same ISO / SS/ Aperture that you used without strobes.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 30, 2011 18:59 |  #3

dennykyser wrote in post #13475488 (external link)
I know with my PW Mini and Profoto AcuteB2 Air I can sync at 1500th with my 1DIV, and from what I remember that is a fast enough shutter speed to freeze action in high school ball.

To clarify, do you mean 1/500" or 1/1500" shutter speed?

If 1/500", I assume you're using ControlTL optimized x-sync.

If 1/1500", I assume you're using the trailing/fading decay of a strobe with really slow t.1 and t.5 durations as a pseudo-HSS?

1/500" is marginal for freezing HS BB.
1/1500" is more than sufficient.

X-sync requires overpowering ambient by at least 2 stops to prevent double-exposure ghosting. HSS is easier to blend with ambient.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 30, 2011 19:31 as a reply to  @ clarence's post |  #4

I was thinking 1/500 SS, it is what I used last year and can not recall any motion blur in the photos.
Last year I had no choice but to shoot ISO 3200, 1/500 @ 2.8.
By using a slightly lower ISO, say 2500 I will get cleaner images and only slightly underexposed if a strobe does not recycle fast enough.

I am not sure I can get the combo to sync any faster than 1/500
I will do some tests and post back to this thread at this Saturdays scrimmage.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 30, 2011 19:43 |  #5

I use the 1D Mark IV for basketball at ISO 12800, 1/640 and f/2.8 pretty much all the time. Lower ISO would be nice, but you should be able to get images with acceptable noise up to ~12x18 to maybe 16x20 at ISO 12800.

There is no size I'd be afraid to print at ISO3200. I kind of use ISO3200 as my default low-ISO setting for the 1D Mark IV in any lowish-light situation. When I get into a gym so bright I can shoot ISO3200 I'm happy as a clam.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 04, 2011 09:55 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #6

I tried this for the first time yesterday and although it will take some more tweaking I think I will like it.
I tried first at lower ISO and the shadows were really bad. Here are a couple that were ISO 1200 1/500 @ 2.8. At these settings I had almost no distracting shadows.I was bouncing the strobes off the corner of the walls.

I will probably add a little more strobe and shoot at 3.2 at the next game.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,706 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 08, 2012 06:41 |  #7

Those look great. And happy birthday Denny.

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 08, 2012 09:09 |  #8

MDJAK wrote in post #13666868 (external link)
Those look great. And happy birthday Denny.

Thanks You

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

sponsored links

2,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mixing Ambient & Strobe for basketball?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.