Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Real Estate photography business/website

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2011 13:47 |  #1

EDITED ON 2012-01-11 * WEBSITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION *

I recently started a Real Estate Photography business to help me pay for my photography gear. It has paid off quite good as it helped buy exactly what I wanted. But I would like to start advertising my services in other ways other than word of mouth (*which is been really good to me so far).

I have set up a website up, Wordpress blog type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, any constructive criticism on anything in the website (photos etc.), layout.

www.joelguindon.com (external link)

*Yes, I will be adding other images of other types of photography that I want to add to my business but those are still in "starter mode".

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links
nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 31, 2011 21:27 |  #2

I'm no pro, but your site for me took about 15-20 seconds to load. That's the main thing. Nice pics.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2011 22:37 |  #3

nccb wrote in post #13627546 (external link)
I'm no pro, but your site for me took about 15-20 seconds to load. That's the main thing. Nice pics.

I noticed that but have no clue why it takes so long to load up. Thank you for stopping by

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

cheezerman
55 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 31, 2011 22:57 |  #4

It looks like you only set up the A record on your domain, you also need to set up the CNAME to point to Smugmug.

Follow the instructions here. (external link)

EOS 10D - Still Kicking!
50 f/1.8 ii
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/4L

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 31, 2011 23:10 |  #5

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13625825 (external link)
I recently started a Real Estate Photography business to help me pay for my photography gear. It has paid off quite good as it helped buy exactly what I wanted. But I would like to start advertising my services in other ways other than word of mouth (*which is been really good to me so far).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, any constructive criticism on anything in the website (photos etc.), layout.

*Yes, I will be adding other images of other types of photography that I want to add to my business but those are still in "starter mode".

Joe,

I started also a Photography website to market me to the real estate world.
And also use wordpress and a template from studiopress.com and signed up for a webinar how to....!
To make it more professional I found a young man, who is a student of computer technology and coding. At the moment it is still under his construction hands, but you can already look at it, because the site has two purposes. Beside the real estate I also use it for my hobby pictures. My site is called: http://www.LetPictures​Talk.com (external link)

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2011 23:36 |  #6

Fixed it. It loads much faster now.

cheezerman wrote in post #13627811 (external link)
It looks like you only set up the A record on your domain, you also need to set up the CNAME to point to Smugmug.

Follow the instructions here. (external link)

I quit smugmug. How did you know i was with SM ?

Ronny Geenen wrote in post #13627838 (external link)
Joe,

I started also a Photography website to market me to the real estate world.
And also use wordpress and a template from studiopress.com and signed up for a webinar how to....!
To make it more professional I found a young man, who is a student of computer technology and coding. At the moment it is still under his construction hands, but you can already look at it, because the site has two purposes. Beside the real estate I also use it for my hobby pictures. My site is called: http://www.LetPictures​Talk.com (external link)

Ronny, thank you for the suggestion but I like to get my hands dirty in everything that will touch this business. So building this website from scratch is something that I want to tackle. I was able to fix my problem and the load-up time of my website went from 10-20 secs to 1-4 secs...that's good enough for me.

Do you have any pics of your R/E jobs you've done up to now ?

Feedback

cheezerman
55 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 31, 2011 23:41 as a reply to  @ Joe.Recon's post |  #7

I quit smugmug. How did you know i was with SM ?

I'm not exactly sure... Glad it's fixed though.

EOS 10D - Still Kicking!
50 f/1.8 ii
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/4L

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2011 23:46 |  #8

cheezerman wrote in post #13627911 (external link)
I'm not exactly sure...

Ha Ha ! Smugmug were good to me. I just like Wordpress better.

Feedback

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 01, 2012 14:36 |  #9

Took 18 seconds to load the first time for me. Loaded right away the second time. Seems like it's a problem for first time visitors. That could be a big problem if people don't wait for it to load.

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 01, 2012 15:55 |  #10

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #13629959 (external link)
Took 18 seconds to load the first time for me. Loaded right away the second time. Seems like it's a problem for first time visitors. That could be a big problem if people don't wait for it to load.

I agree and noticed that when I showed a friend of mine at work. Will have to look into that problem as I can't figure out why it takes so long to load.

Thanks for the input and for your time....the whole 18 seconds hehe

Feedback

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 07, 2012 12:36 |  #11

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13625825 (external link)

I am not able to open your wordpress site www.joelguindon.com (external link) and I got the message that it is under construction. I only saw the main page in black with white text.
I was told by a teacher who gave webinars how to work with wordpress not to disclose your email on a web, because spammers love your information.
Instead use the reverse system. Ask viewers for comments or information. To give you an idea what I mean, my web http://www.LetPictures​Talk.com (external link) has on all pages space for comments/information and others.

Here is some other information that I lately experience as a Realtor. I am an active member of several committees at the real estate board. Last November we had a photography class and a little over 80 people showed up.
Only one person had a dslr camera with a kit lens.
Our board allows for 35 pictures to upload into the MLS for each listing, but the average listed home does not have even 10 pictures.
We asked several questions to the attendee's, like.
1. When you take a picture of a home, do you keep your camera on auto or do you tried AV or manual. All use auto and nobody knows what AV is.
2. They all use for inside pictures the build in flash and have no idea the reach of it.
3. They all have no idea about wide angle.
4. Nearly all bought their little camera based on the number of pixels, because others have told them.
5. Nobody have ever heard about bracketing.
6. Nobody have ever heard about HDR.
7. The majority do not use any software to crop or reduce the size of a picture, because the MLS system does it on a auto bases during the upload procedure.

Knowing all the above, we, owners of DSLR bodies and a decent wide lens nearly always out perform a Realtor. We photographers only have to learn and listen to what people, who are shopping via the internet for a home or any other interest in property, expect from pictures on the net.
Several of my clients told me:
1. They want to have an idea how big the rooms are.
2. Like to know how the floorplan runs from room to room. We have to take wide angle pictures like from the front door showing living room/family room and kitchen, if possible. Or master bedroom and masterbath. Or the hall way and access to rooms. Or access to the garages.

I hope that will help you.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,897 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 08, 2012 07:38 as a reply to  @ Ronny Geenen's post |  #12

I am trying to buy a home right now, so we see all levels of photography (more often very poor). Here are some things I wish were available, and that really irritate me:
- Some sites offer "18 photos!", but there are many times repeats of the same (or nearly identical) views. OK, front of the house looks nice, but do you really need 5 shots of the front, taken 30 yards apart for each image?? Pick the best one or two, and move on. Ditto for some of the rooms or back yard. Shoot as many you need to tell the story of the home, but don't overkill.
- Often it is difficult to get a visual image of the floor plan. We try to piece together how the home is layed out from pictures with common furniture items showing in different views. I don't know why realtors don't make every effort to upload a reasonably good quality floor plan. The photographer could (with a little extra work/training) get a reasonable floor plan developed, and then place a numbered arrow on it corresponding to exatly on the floor plan's image where each photo was taken.
- Dark/light photos. This goes to lighting, and as a good photographer you will know how to fix this.
- Clutter everywhere. Leaves the impression that current residents didn't bother with routine chores, so how did they take the time to keep the house well maintained?
- Miscelaneous people in the pictures. Daughter draped over the couch with cookies and watching MTV (really . . . no kidding saw this on one realtor's site). Obvious problems here.
- TV on in the pictures. Mainly a distraction to the photo.
- Glare/reflections from flash, again as a good photographer you will know how to fix this.
- Some places with mirrors, it is difficult to not get the photographer in the mirror as the shot is taken. Distracting. Do some form of cloning, or take the shot with a tripod and delay timer.
- Every shot taken at eye-level. Experiment with waist-level camera placement. Makes the room appear better proportioned.

These are just some of my observations while searching for a home.

PS - Anyone know of a 2000 sq ft ranch home on 1-3 acres with workshop and in-ground pool near Macon Georgia?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 08, 2012 07:53 |  #13

golfecho wrote in post #13667001 (external link)
- Often it is difficult to get a visual image of the floor plan. We try to piece together how the home is layed out from pictures with common furniture items showing in different views. I don't know why realtors don't make every effort to upload a reasonably good quality floor plan. The photographer could (with a little extra work/training) get a reasonable floor plan developed, and then place a numbered arrow on it corresponding to exatly on the floor plan's image where each photo was taken.

I'm glad to hear of a prospective buyer who'd like to see floorplans as I offer this service. It seems difficult to convince realtors that it is of importance. It is also necessary that every "after market" floorplan comes w/a disclaimer concerning accuracy or lack thereof. It's one of those darn legal things ya know - :) I think that scares realtors a little bit too.

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.com (external link)

Tanya ­ De ­ Leeuw
Goldmember
4,260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 08, 2012 09:14 as a reply to  @ CamFan01's post |  #14

My fav's to see in real estate photos, golfecho, are toilet lids/seats up, and cupboard doors open ... photos of a door in a blank interior wall ... photos that feature the current owner/tenant's furniture more than the home's high points ... reflections of themselves taking the photo ... do the realtors not notice this stuff in the homes they list and "show"?!

Tanya De Leeuw
Facebook (external link) - Smugmug (external link) - Blog (external link)
Constructive comments are most appreciated!
Now: 1D Mark IV, 7D + 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L

discoduck
514 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 08, 2012 09:34 |  #15

https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=90297​3&page=279

You could learn a lot here.

5Dc | 17-40 L
LivingPhoto.ca (external link) - Real Estate Photography
Facebook (external link) - How about a "Like"? :D

sponsored links

3,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
Real Estate photography business/website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.