Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 10:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

on board flash issues since i bought a 430exII

TheNewGuy01
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2012 10:04 |  #1

I recently purchased a 430EXII (New) for my XSi (450D) camera which I can not be happier with the results. There is no problems with this configuration. However after a month or two I found my self needing a flash and I did not have my 430II on me. I tried to use the pop up flash which used to work fine and it would not pop up. I tried to access the "Built-in flash func. setting" menu and the error I get is "This menu cannot be displayed. external flash is attached" This error is displayed when the hot shoe is empty.

I already contacted Canon tech support and they told me to "CLEAR ALL CAMERA SETTINGS" and "CLEAR ALL CUSTOM FUNCTIONS". This did not work :( . Canon requests that if this did not work to ship it back. I do not want to be without my camera or the $$ that it will cost. I am inclined to forget about it and never look back and just use my external flash but it just bugs me that this does not work.

Has anyone seen this before or as any ideas that I can try to fix this??

Thanks

Bill

EOS 80D, EOS 450D/XSI, EF 50mm F1.8 STM, EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II VC, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD, 430EXII
Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2012 10:06 |  #2

Basically under the two hotshoe elevated rails you will see these little metal railings underneath, that when a hotshoe flash is attached to it, the hotshoe will push those 2 railings underneath and keep them down. That's how the camera knows if there is something in the hotshoe or not.

It sounds like they are stuck at the moment and you might try just gently getting jiggling those metal thingys underneath the hotshoe railing, it might fix it up.

I know my description above is terrible, but if you type in the error message in google images you should get an image of what I mean

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2012 10:07 |  #3

Here: :D

http://byrev.org …t-in-flash-doesnt-pop-up/ (external link)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 08, 2012 13:51 |  #4

To supplement smorter's post, the micro-switch that cuts out the pop-up flash is usually on the left side of the hotshoe. In this shot, it's the grey thing under the leaf spring. It sometimes sticks and may need 'working' by manipulating the leaf spring with a toothpick.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …86/hectormac/IM​G_1518.jpg (external link)

~ Wallace
Gear List

TheNewGuy01
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2012 16:57 |  #5

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I will try it when I get home.

EOS 80D, EOS 450D/XSI, EF 50mm F1.8 STM, EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II VC, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD, 430EXII
Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

TheNewGuy01
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2012 18:18 |  #6

That did it. Works now. Thank you again!!!!

Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 08, 2012 18:21 |  #7

This design still confuses me. Why can't the camera just do a voltage check or some other method rather than that little sticky mechanical switch to determine if something is in the shoe? I guess there are some passive accessories that have no conductive or active components but sit in the hotshoe.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

bllpt13
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 08, 2012 18:23 |  #8

That happened to me a week or so ago. Good thing I had read a thread just like this one a while back. Knew what the problem was immediately and fixed it right away.
Thanks POTN

sponsored links

1,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
on board flash issues since i bought a 430exII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.