Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ST-E2 / Pocket Wizard or Radio Poppers??

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 11, 2012 12:28 |  #1

Hi,

Seems like nothing is straight forward.

I want the ability to use my flash (580 EX II) off camera. From what I have read thus far:

• ST-E2 - limited range
  • Pocket Wizards - cheaply built and not reliable
  • Radio Poppers - don't know much about

I am using this as a total amateur and would be used mostly for a small studio I am putting together in my basement for family pics.

What do I get?

Thanks

Tony

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2012 12:36 |  #2

I haven't heard much about pocket wizards being unreliable. They are a proven piece of kit.

perhaps try looking into Cactus V5s, as they are similar to Pocket Wizards (manual only, no TTL), and run about $70 per pair. Each one is a tranceiver and can act as a transmitter or receiver.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 11, 2012 12:43 |  #3

I don't know why you think PocketWizards are cheaply built and unreliable...mine work great. I recently upgraded to the newer Flex/Mini and the AlienBees adapters. Along with the AC3, it's an excellent setup - ability to adjust lighting from the camera wirelessly is a huge timesaver, as well as ability to turn the light on/off or put it on a manual non-ttl evaluated mode.

Gear List

Bluemountain
78 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 11, 2012 12:47 |  #4

Pocket Wizards rocks and I have never had a issue wih reliability. I have 5of the Plus 11 and they haven't failed me yet. If you wanna lean about lighting then go to strobist.com.

Gripped 5D MK II/24-70 F2.8L /70-200 L F2.8 IS MkII/85 L/ 50 1.4 /580EX II/ 055CXPRO3
All about the smiles and memories :D

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2012 12:50 |  #5

I'd recommend Cactus V5s. I've used them and they are reliable and consistent. you can get 2 sets (4 total) for the price of 1 pocket wizard plus II if those are out of your budget.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 11, 2012 13:11 |  #6

Numenorean wrote in post #13686330 (external link)
I don't know why you think PocketWizards are cheaply built and unreliable...mine work great. I recently upgraded to the newer Flex/Mini and the AlienBees adapters. Along with the AC3, it's an excellent setup - ability to adjust lighting from the camera wirelessly is a huge timesaver, as well as ability to turn the light on/off or put it on a manual non-ttl evaluated mode.

Hi,

I was reading about them from reviews on bhphoto and a number of people were complaining about the plastic used with the hotshoe always breaking or very fragile?

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 11, 2012 13:15 |  #7

PWard wrote in post #13686368 (external link)
I'd recommend Cactus V5s. I've used them and they are reliable and consistent. you can get 2 sets (4 total) for the price of 1 pocket wizard plus II if those are out of your budget.

Hi Phillip,

Trying to read up on these Cactus V5's.

I am mostly interested in a reliable wireless trigger that will work ETTL. But am not ruling out manual mode either. Just want to buy one that I can keep and be happy with.

Tony

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2012 13:17 |  #8

you didn't mention wanting ETTL in your initial post, so I assumed manual, which opens up a lot of possibilities as far as wireless triggers go.

Since you want ETTL, that narrows your choices down quite a bit.

look into Pixel King.

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1326309​412&sr=8-1 (external link)

Dustman
853 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2012 14:05 |  #9

I use Radiopoppers PX system, and absolutly love it!!! It does have two downsides, 1: Expensive 2: You will need a master in your hotshoe.

However the positives for me are I can control 3 seperate groups, range of 1,500 feet, full manual control, ETTL/iTTL, and High Speed Sync up to 8,000/sec.....all being controled from my camera.

I used to own an ST-E2 and hated it so much, I just never used it, its big plus for me was to use it only for its auto assist light when shooting events in dim conditions. The line of sight thing was very unreliable for me.

I have zero experience with Pocket Wizards.

www.DustinLevine.com (external link)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 11, 2012 14:11 |  #10

PWard wrote in post #13686534 (external link)
you didn't mention wanting ETTL in your initial post, so I assumed manual, which opens up a lot of possibilities as far as wireless triggers go.

Since you want ETTL, that narrows your choices down quite a bit.

look into Pixel King.

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1326309​412&sr=8-1 (external link)

Hi,

I like what I read on the Pixel Kings. Seem to be very positive. I will definately put them on the short list.

Thanks

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 11, 2012 14:12 |  #11

Dustman wrote in post #13686797 (external link)
I use Radiopoppers PX system, and absolutly love it!!! It does have two downsides, 1: Expensive 2: You will need a master in your hotshoe.

However the positives for me are I can control 3 seperate groups, range of 1,500 feet, full manual control, ETTL/iTTL, and High Speed Sync up to 8,000/sec.....all being controled from my camera.

I used to own an ST-E2 and hated it so much, I just never used it, its big plus for me was to use it only for its auto assist light when shooting events in dim conditions. The line of sight thing was very unreliable for me.

I have zero experience with Pocket Wizards.

Hi,

I appreciate the positive info on the Radio Poppers. Will delve into them a bit deeper, but they are probably a bit more than I want to spend for my limited uses.

Thanks

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 11, 2012 14:13 |  #12

You are right about the Pocket Wizards being cheaply built. :D
I was sitting on a stool at a basketball tournament. Half time was over, so I picked up my camera to get ready for the second half. Little did I know, my foot was on the neck strap and it jerked the camera out of my hands. The 1D MK III with 70-200 attached landed upside down on the hardwood floor. Luckily the PW took the brunt of the blow which saved the camera or lens from possible damage.

After a quick trip back to PW, it now has a new foot! :D

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 11, 2012 14:19 |  #13

For manual use only, The Cybersync's are very reliable also.
Example - 580 EX II set up just beyond mid court aimed upward and towards the far basket at a basketball tournament. I triggered it on manual along with the two Alien Bees to give a little more light on the far end of the court.
See...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …sh%20Setup/MTH_​3726r1.jpg (external link)

AB 1600 used in the same gym
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …lash%20Setup/MT​H_4966.jpg (external link)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 11, 2012 15:53 |  #14

get a flash that can act as a slave to your 580-II

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2012 15:56 |  #15

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13687449 (external link)
get a flash that can act as a slave to your 580-II

true. Yongnuo or even Neewer flashes on Amazon are pretty cheap. I have one of the Neewer flashes. Slave mode works perfectly fine, and I only paid $30 for it.

sponsored links

3,815 views & 0 likes for this thread
ST-E2 / Pocket Wizard or Radio Poppers??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.