Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Jan 2004 (Friday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my 1st reversed lens macro shot

mahanee
126 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Jan 23, 2004 16:14 |  #1

using G3 with nikkor 50mm reversed,
digital iso 50, 1/160, 5.6, 420EX

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

G3 die hard

sponsored links
dds
144 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 23, 2004 17:13 |  #2

Shot is great, subject...............​but it doesn't depend on you :D
DDS
P.S. that is yor arm? :roll:

DDS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 23, 2004 18:32 |  #3

Awesome shot,. one of the best "reversed" lens shots I've seen for pure clarity!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Borreicho
24 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 24, 2004 05:49 |  #4

Whow! :shock: How did you take this pic? Does inverting simple close-up lenses have the same effect?

Very well done! Impressive :)

mvrekum
274 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 24, 2004 06:32 |  #5

Great shot.

Can you tell us something about the technique you used? It's new to me

Thanks,
Martin

www.martinvanrekum.com (external link)

EOS 350D :: EOS 5 :: Powershot A70
EF 24-70 L :: EF 70-200 L IS :: EF 28-105 :: EF 100/2.0 :: EF 75-300
580EX :: 420EX :: 540EZ + Transistorpack E

jim ­ monroe
118 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jan 24, 2004 10:42 |  #6

As stated already, great shot. The sharpness is amazing.
Like others would like to know more about how to "reverse" lens, mainly is there some form of adapter you must have to be able to reverse the 50mm lense. Seems there must be. Heard of technique several times but don't understand key point of how to connect lense reversed to camera.
Again great shot and look forward to seeing others.

jim monroe
10D, 50mm/1.8, 100mm/2.8 macro, 400mm/5.6. Gitzo 1325, etc.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2004 11:27 |  #7

The "Reversed" lens trick is an old tried and true macro tool,..

You take a standard lens,. (usually a 500mm... it will not actually connect to your camera so ANY 50mm.. manual focus FD is a good choice)

Then you need to get a thread reverser/adapter. B&H sells them ,. it is like a sted down ring,. but the threads are reversed on one side so you can mount two lenses face to face....

You mount the second 50mm to the front of your existing lens.. be it a lensmate on a "G" series,. or to the front of your 50mm f/1.8 on your 10D,. and thats it. Peice of cake...

...untill you try to use it! Obviously manual focus and extreme close distances as well as narrow depth of feild...

Again if you can find an old FD or other manual lens you are better off,. as then you can change aperture as well on the reversed lens.

//if you dig deep into the G3 forum,. you will find a thread with detailed deicription and images in it... :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mahanee
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Jan 25, 2004 09:54 |  #8

here`s the link about reversed lens on G3 ..
so sorry it`s in indonesian`s languange, but i`m sure the pictures on it can explain without reading...

my macro shot above also using this way article .. but i didn`t use a bracket flash and a off shoe cord for my 420EX ..
http://fotografer.net …artikel/57/Arti​kel_p1.jpg (external link)

G3 die hard

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Jan 25, 2004 09:58 |  #9

Incredible. I have to get into this type of macrophotography. Lotsa wow-factor here!

defordphoto | Celebrating the art of photography®
SD500, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1DMKII, 1DMKIII
www.ussbaracing.com (external link) | www.rfmsports.com (external link) | www.nwfjcc.com (external link)
An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams

mvrekum
274 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 25, 2004 10:44 |  #10

mahanee wrote:
here`s the link about reversed lens on G3 ..
so sorry it`s in indonesian`s languange, but i`m sure the pictures on it can explain without reading...

my macro shot above also using this way article .. but i didn`t use a bracket flash and a off shoe cord for my 420EX ..
http://fotografer.net …artikel/57/Arti​kel_p1.jpg (external link)

After I found the article (you're link was missing). I searched google for a translator and... found one.

So here is the article in english (it's a machine translation!) in PDF format.Happy reading,martin (external link)

mahanee
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Jan 25, 2004 11:11 |  #11

yes, u right .. even the writer ( Mr. Azwar H.K) wrote that his article is translated n based on MARK PLONSKY`S article ..
but too bad mark plonsky`s didn`t take a picture of the set of reversed lens on G3 on his article .. he only put a sample picture..
with a picture of the stuff, it will be more easier to make e reversed lens technic on G3 :D

G3 die hard

mvrekum
274 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 25, 2004 13:31 |  #12

I have been playing around a bit using this technique. Holding all loose parts in your hand isn't easy :D , but here are some first results.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The above image was taken with the macro feature of a Canon Powershot A70 to compare the reverse lens result. (I never thought my keyboard was that dirty :( )

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is also taken with the A70, but now holding a Prakticar 50mm f1.8 reverse in front of it. The f1.8 seems to be important. I also tried it with a Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 zoom, but this gives only a small viewfield with a lot of black around it.

Anyway it looks promising and Iwill keep playing with it. I'll get some reversing rings first.

Martin

PaulD
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 29, 2004 18:45 |  #13

mahanee,

What Nikkor 50 mm lense did you use. I tried the technique last week with a 50 mm F1.8 AI Lense, lensemate adapter and reversing ring and had a fair amount of vignetting.

Paul

ryuwulf
369 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 30, 2004 08:37 |  #14

Stunning photo.

PaulD wrote:
mahanee,

What Nikkor 50 mm lense did you use. I tried the technique last week with a 50 mm F1.8 AI Lense, lensemate adapter and reversing ring and had a fair amount of vignetting.

Paul

if you had to get a lens, get one with a larger aperture. You will still get vignetting. The larger the aperture the more you can get in.
YOu can buy a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens for under 40 dollars. I also have a canon 50mm 1.8 and there is a world of difference. Also set both your manual focus and lens set to infinity. From there kinda move in and sway back to find a point of focus. I find this works best.

I have never messed with the aperture on the 50 mm because you cant get enough in the picture. The only aperture i use would be the one on the g3, set that to f8. ill post some images on my site detailing this procedure

until then check it out here
www.ryuwulf.net/my_gea​r (external link)

cheers!!!

Ikinaa
Goldmember
1,517 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 30, 2004 08:52 |  #15

I play also with these kind of toys and my G3.
Before having a 50mmf/1.8, I tried with a 35-105f3.5-4.5 (not 100% sure), and noticed that the smaller the focale, the bigger the subject on the picture. So at 35mm, the subject was bigger than the 105 mm.
In the second-hand shop where I bought my 50mm, the owner (who luckily knew the trick and helped me search for a lens) said that was true, and with a 28mm the object should be nearer. (But I'm still in search for a second hand 28mmf1.8 or something like that)
Anyone's trying?

www.ikinaa.net (external link)

sponsored links

3,608 views & 0 likes for this thread
my 1st reversed lens macro shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.