Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 00:59
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which website do you buy your gear from?"
BH Photo Video
44.7%
Amazon
29.3%
Adorama
13.3%
Other...
12.8%

188 voters, 188 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you buy? Amazon, BH Photo Video, Adorama?

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 12, 2012 08:36 |  #16

Yes. I have bought from all, including "other"-Beach Camera. Just depends on where the best price/shipping is. All have given me great customer service. B&H has earned the most money from me..

Tim
Equipment

sponsored links
dsit995
527 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 12, 2012 08:41 |  #17

I buy mostly from B&H but small things from amazon.... I livein Ct and B&H is only an hour away so alot of times Ill go down try things out then have them shipped to my house so I dont have to pay tax and it usually get there the next day :)

Canon 5D MkII | T2i | 35L | 24-105 IS L | 70-200L | 100L | 17-40L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 430EX II
5∞ (external link) | GEAR & FeedBack | flickr (external link)

FPP
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 12, 2012 09:13 |  #18

All 4. I've bought the most from B&H, then Adorama, then Amazon, and the least (but still some) from others. The poll should probably allowed multiple answers as most people buy from more than 1 source.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Yongnuo YN-24EX, JasonC007 Diffuser Kit, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 12, 2012 09:16 |  #19

Also all 4. I get stuff wherever it's cheapest usually. Or if it's the same I pick Amazon since I have Prime.

Gear List

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 12, 2012 09:26 |  #20

Everything in my bag came new from B&H.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,959 posts
Gallery: 519 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 12, 2012 09:33 |  #21

Whenever I need something to purchase I almost exclusively check the price on Amazon and BH first, then I calculate the shipping cost, if any, and if they're about the same in overall cost, then I go with Amazon to accrue their reward points. I saved hundreds of dollars on these Amazon reward points over the years. When it comes to "free shipping" I found that BH takes much longer, so that's another plus for Amazon.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

iWayne
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 09:34 |  #22

I buy from all three websites though I keep in mind which states they collect tax from.

Turning
720 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 12, 2012 09:41 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #23

I've bought a number of places (including other smaller places) but overall have come to prefer BH if they have the item in stock.

For example I am about to return a $1800 lens to Adorama (has a problem) and since Adorama has no RMA process I have to drive into town, pay a bunch of shipping and insurance and then wait a while.

IMO BH as a better return process. They issue (online or on the phone) an RMA number, if defective they email a return label (which puts the risk out of my hands in many ways) and then I just hand the box to the UPS driver when he's here.

Prices are close between Adorama and BH typically, but 2 or 3 day shipping is generally much cheaper for me (West Coast) through BH.

Like I posted recently, though, BH drives me a little crazy as they will not back order items like Lee stuff, but even though I have signed up for in stock notification many times I have never received such an email. Luckily I have seen those items show up in stock on their site (through just looking) and been able to buy them.

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 12, 2012 09:43 as a reply to  @ Turning's post |  #24

Photography gear mostly from B&H, probably 90%. The other 10% from Amazon.

Best, Bruce

RodneyCyr
659 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 12, 2012 09:49 |  #25

Turning wrote in post #13691498 (external link)
I've bought a number of places (including other smaller places) but overall have come to prefer BH if they have the item in stock.

For example I am about to return a $1800 lens to Adorama (has a problem) and since Adorama has no RMA process I have to drive into town, pay a bunch of shipping and insurance and then wait a while.

BH as a much better return process. They issue a RMA number, if defective they email a return label (which puts the risk out of my hands in many ways) and then I just hand the box to the UPS driver when he's here.

I had never returned anything to Adorama before, so now that I know this I'll probably pretty much stick to BH on expensive items.

Prices are close between Adorama and BH typically, but 2 or 3 day shipping is generally much cheaper for me (West Coast) through BH.

Like I posted recently, though, BH drives me a little crazy as they will not back order items like Lee stuff, but even though I have signed up for in stock notification many times I have never received such an email. Luckily I have seen those items show up in stock on their site (through just looking) and been able to buy them.

Adorama does not require an RMA. But when I wanted to return a defective lens, I called them. They e-mailed me a free ground-shipping UPS sticker. It took about 4 business days for the lens to get there, but they issued a credit for it within two business days.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Sigma 135/1.8ART, Sigma 30mm f/1.4DC, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs 4, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro 2021
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

Turning
720 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 12, 2012 09:51 |  #26

RodneyCyr wrote in post #13691559 (external link)
Adorama does not require an RMA. But when I wanted to return a defective lens, I called them. They e-mailed me a free ground-shipping UPS sticker. It took about 4 business days for the lens to get there, but they issued a credit for it within two business days.

That's good to know. I just called them and they were very nice. Said they would send me a confirmation email and a return label.

Thanks for tip. Saves me a trip into town. Although now that I think about it, I might actually drop it off at UPS as then I can get a tracking slip for documentation in case the box got lost....

Overall I've found them excellent and have bought a fair bit there, including my 5d2 body.

And while in the past Adorama was pretty slow to answer emails with questions, I have found more recently they answer within a couple hours or less - better in that regard than any other largish place I'ved used. (Sometimes I have a simple question about availability or like that and just would rather use email).

Bottom line is we consumers are lucky to have great choices and the competition keeps prices down. e.g. compared lighttools grids factory prices as compared to BH or Adorama.

I am doing my part again for the economy lately, dumping quite a bit of dough into photographic gear in recent months.

Although the numbers from the only card I use for gear (which never leaves my person) got misappropriated last week and someone ran up $15k of airline tickets in a couple hours. Any one else buy some photo gear lately and just have that happen? Would be interesting if a pattern could point to where the theft had happened.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 12, 2012 09:58 |  #27

Amazon for books. For everything else, they are more like a mall landlord. Yes, you say you bought those new jeans at the mall, but you really bought them at GAP. Same with Amazon for many of their non-book products. I never buy photo products from Amazon proper, but I will buy from a real photo store that uses Amazon for web marketing (e.g. 47th Street Photo, Cameta Camera...).

Just in the past 4 months, I've bought from B&H, Adorama, and Cameta. And, over a longer time frame, I've bought from 47th Street Photo and Abe's of Maine; and probably a few others I can't think of now. I suspect most photo hobbyists have a short list of companies they trust for both price and service, rather than 100% loyalty on one company.

I never buy from Bust Buy, but that is a personal thing. I just will not do business with them.

I have bought cameras and lenses from the local Target store. They sometimes have prices you can't beat even on the interweb, and they have a great return policy.

Tom

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 12, 2012 10:07 |  #28

I usually buy used from the FredMiranda buy&sell or from LensRentals.com.

If I buy new my first stop is usually J&R since I frequently get gift cards there as credit card rewards. They will generally price match the others if you ask. If I don't have any gift cards I check Amazon first (preferred since I am a Prime member), then B&H/Adorama.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 12, 2012 10:12 |  #29

I buy from all 3 mentioned in the poll. Plus Calumet. It comes down to final price. All have good return policies. So the decision is who has free shipping at the moment.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

canonsixtyD
40 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 12, 2012 10:28 |  #30

i just bought a new 7D from amazon last night a long with a 50mm 1.4 and a lexar 600x pro cf card. the camera came straight from amazon and the lens actually is coming from adorama, and the cf card from another seller, so i think amazon does a great job finding the best price for you and getting you the item from other places, if that makes any sense

sponsored links

13,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you buy? Amazon, BH Photo Video, Adorama?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.