Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 10 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moth%$^%$^g Youtube

Sickone
THREAD ­ STARTER
240 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 10, 2012 16:48 |  #16

Agree guys really need to get myself a plus account, think i'll sort that out tomorrow. Just seems so much more organised and simple. Does plus automatically give you HD cause everything looks so clean

sponsored links
Pepster
105 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 10, 2012 16:55 |  #17

ben_r_ wrote in post #13681702 (external link)
Hate youtube anyway. For many other reasons than removing videos. Its the trash TV of the internet. Anything professional or work that youd like to be taking seriously should be on vimeo or something else if there is IMO.

And you really think VIMEO is much better than Youtube ??

Plenty of 'flame-outs' by video snobs on Vimeo - same crap, just pitched @ a different demographic. May not be swearing, but still plenty of disrespect on VIMEO,

eg, http://vimeo.com/26355​552 (external link)

I am currently using Zenfolio.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 10, 2012 18:30 |  #18

I do. Ive never seen an ad pop up like a TV commercial on Vimeo. I dont watch TV for the same reason I hate youtube.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Photo99
539 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 10, 2012 21:30 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #19

Its good practice to start using royalty free music there are a lot of choices.

Photo99

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 11, 2012 01:46 |  #20

Sickone wrote in post #13681760 (external link)
Agree guys really need to get myself a plus account, think i'll sort that out tomorrow. Just seems so much more organised and simple. Does plus automatically give you HD cause everything looks so clean

I think so. I have it on mine, so it must be part of what you pay for. You can turn it on and off if you want. The best reason to pay is that you aren't limited on how much (to a point) and how fast you can upload. the free version makes you wait longer while it renders it to the site. The Plus version puts you at the head of the line and it doesn't take as long to do everything.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2012 14:32 |  #21

Also you get some discounts at B&H too! Not sure what they are as no one has posted if they are any good, but still... LINK (external link)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 11, 2012 18:47 |  #22

I browse Vimeo's music store more often than I thought i would when I first saw it introduced and have found that there are a lot of usable works there. Free is awesome of course and all you have to do is put the link in to credit the artist.
Youtube has its place and has it benefits and problems, but damn man do they enable trolls! People don't want to be watched over (ie: moderated) but the fact is, they need to be because the bad apples will encorage more to come along and grow wildly! *sigh*

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 11, 2012 18:50 |  #23

ben_r_ wrote in post #13682202 (external link)
I do. Ive never seen an ad pop up like a TV commercial on Vimeo. I dont watch TV for the same reason I hate youtube.

I knew it was coming LOL! I know you despise youtube like it "kicked you in the nuts and ran around the corner with your Taco Bell". :lol:

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2012 09:37 |  #24

Sickone wrote in post #13679293 (external link)
So annoying, they took the audio out my vid forcing me to re-edit with another song, meaning the whole vid will have to change. Can't be that mad though as I didn't make the song and had no rights to it ;)

Thank God for Vimeo :D

You knew you were stealing the songwriter's music but you did it anyway. You got called on it. Your response is to just post the video on another website that will allow your video. Guess we know where your moral compass is pointing.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2012 10:34 |  #25

Vimeo not enforcing copyrights is not a professional/good reason to switch to it.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Sickone
THREAD ­ STARTER
240 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 12, 2012 12:29 |  #26

MarKap77 wrote in post #13691474 (external link)
You knew you were stealing the songwriter's music but you did it anyway. You got called on it. Your response is to just post the video on another website that will allow your video. Guess we know where your moral compass is pointing.

Oh God, not the moral compass guilt trip, please anything but the moral compass guilt trip :lol: :roll eyes:

ben_r_ wrote in post #13686944 (external link)
Also you get some discounts at B&H too! Not sure what they are as no one has posted if they are any good, but still... LINK (external link)

Cheers for the link :D

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 13, 2012 09:40 |  #27

If SOPA goes into effect millions of videos will be removed from every video & audio site. From little kids singing their favorite songs to the up-and-coming artist playing/singing/perfor​ming their favorite performance... and it doesn't end there. Company's will be able to ban people's original work if they think it's remotely similar to someone they represent. Funny thing is, the entertainment industry (not the artists) are reporting record profits despite all the piracy.

If it goes through dark net will quadrupedal in size and scope. New sites will pop up, encrypted and with a different DNS system that will bypass everything SOPA tries. Really funny thing is, these decisions are being made by people that, for the most part, just learned how to use smart phones in the last year.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2012 12:28 |  #28

MarKap77 wrote in post #13691474 (external link)

Is it really stealing? Is anyone here using someone else's song, put to a video to sell a product or service here? I've never seen once instance of that. That's stealing.

Or is it that they are just putting together videos of their cars, cats, kids or events that they want to share with others because we think this is fun and we are adding in a song we like? More like borrowing. :rolleyes:

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8

Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2012 12:33 |  #29

ChasWG wrote in post #13698724 (external link)
Is it really stealing? Is anyone here using someone else's song, put to a video to sell a product or service here? I've never seen once instance of that. That's stealing.

Or is it that they are just putting together videos of their cars, cats, kids or events that they want to share with others because we think this is fun and we are adding in a song we like? More like borrowing. :rolleyes:

there's definitely a line there somwhere.

I personally don't see the problem when you're using someone's music to help set a tone for some video you took or photos you want to show so long as it's not for commercial use of course. Youtube throw the iTunes link up on the video so the person watching it can buy the song - it's basically free advertising.

I've actually bought at least a dozen songs this way because someone out there used it in their video and I liked it.

I much prefer vimeo (better viewer) but I keep stuff on youtube because it's still comes up a lot more in searches.

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2012 12:39 |  #30

It's funny that you said what you did Mike. I had written and then took it off that doing what a lot of people do with these songs is a like like helping to further distribute the song and give it more aire time. For free.

Chas Gordon

sponsored links

6,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moth%$^%$^g Youtube
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.