Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jan 2012 (Monday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

72mm Polarizing and ND Filters?

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 09, 2012 19:58 |  #1

I'm shopping for both a mutli coated polarizing and a couple of ND filters for a 72mm thread. Any recommendations on brands or a specific model? Something mid-range (the lens I'll be using it on is).

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 12, 2012 12:05 |  #2

any suggestions?

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 12, 2012 12:10 |  #3

B+W is the best way to go.

Hoya's not bad either.

You want the more expensive Multi-coated variants.

tovarish
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 12, 2012 12:33 |  #4

I just bought a Hoya HD 72mm from Adorama. Thin and works well. Supposedly lets in 1.5 extra stop of light which may be useful if true.

Flickr (external link)

fywaits
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 12, 2012 12:36 |  #5

Contact the people a 2filter.com, they are a great help.

vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2012 12:51 |  #6

Love my Hoya Pro1's. But if you ever think you'll have a 77mm thread lens, get the 77mm and a 72-77mm adapter.

bobble.smugmug.com (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 12, 2012 14:02 |  #7

All the manufacturers make different grades, offered at different prices.

B+W is a good brand... Among the CPLs, the "Kaesemann" are top of the line, "Pro 1 MRC" are just slightly below that. Their ND are also available as Pro 1 MRC (but not Kaesemann, that's CPLs only). "MRC" stands for Multi Resistant Coatings, so these are multi-coated, too. B+W mounts many of their filters in brass, to prevent galling (which can happen with aluminum when threaded into aluminum or other metal threads). They also make some slightly cheaper with aluminum mount, which will work fine on lenses with plastic threads.

Hoya also makes some top quality filters, too. Look for their HMC and SHMC for best quality multi coating.

Kenko has a new "Zeta" line out that is being marketed as top quality, multi-coated. (Might be similar to the Hoya, since both are under the same parent company: "THK", which stands for Tokina/Hoya/Kenko).

I also hear a lot of good things about Marumi filters, but haven't used them personally and don't know their grades.

Heliopan are also top quality and their multi-coated are designated SH-PMC. They also offer a top of the line Kaesemann CPL.

Buy the right size filter for your lens so you'll be able to use a lens hood on it too. If you buy and oversize filter and step it down for your lens, usually you won't be able to use the lens hood. When using a filter, it's even more important than usual to use a lens hood.

If you are fitting to a very wide angle lens, you might need a "slim" filter. These are usually more expensive, though. And some of them don't have front threads, so you can't cap them in between shots. I try to avoid slim filters, unless really necessary. B+W filter frames are fairly slim anyway, even the standard ones.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 12, 2012 21:26 |  #8

thanks so much for the replies and info!

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 12, 2012 22:05 |  #9

i'd go with b+w. i like it wayyy more than hoya altho the images you get are same. b+w is glossy and the cap fits over it perfectly but hoya doesn't fit too well and i found the cpl to be the worst.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2012 23:49 as a reply to  @ nikesupremedunk's post |  #10

I bought the marumi super circular PLD based on these tests ...
http://www.lenstip.com …arizing_filters​_test.html (external link)
Be also carreful, many filters won't accept lens cap ..

I made my own small experience with ND filters !
https://photography-on-the.net …47294&highlight​=singh+ray

Huge difference between cheap and singh-ray ND filters ...

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,145 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 13, 2012 08:05 |  #11

I use the special CPL Hoya filter designed by wildlife photographer and conservationist B. Moose Peterson of Wildlife Research Photography. Its a CPL filter that also incorporates 81A optical glass made by Hoya giving some slight warming effect. You can do a search on eBay "Moose polarizer 72mm" and find it for about $70. One currently is at http://www.ebay.com …lters&hash=item​3f121af278 (external link) $70.

On my lens the filter accepts the normal snap-in lens cap without any issues - this is often a problem with polarizers.

sponsored links

1,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
72mm Polarizing and ND Filters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.