Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 18:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70L seems soft.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2012 11:39 |  #31

Freinds don't let freinds pixel peep! Someone step up please... :)

http://www.ukphotosafa​ri.org …t-friends-pixel-peep.html (external link)
David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links
riffster
722 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 12, 2012 13:11 |  #32

Seems to me this is how rumors get started. Not ripping on anyone here, just observing. First the name of the post is, "24-70L seems soft", it goes for three pages before it seems to be resolved as user error. Meanwhile search engines index the thread and it's spread that the 24-70 is soft. Yet still the 24-70L remains the highest rated Canon zoom lens by far on B&H's site.

5DIV | 5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50mm Art 1.4 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 12, 2012 13:17 |  #33

dexy101 wrote in post #13688370 (external link)
Ive been using live view just now, magnified x10 focused manually on a lens sitting on the desk, looking at live view im seeing it clear enough it looks fine. Once the image is taken and zoomed in fully with the play button on the camera it looks a bit blurry. Im also using mirror lock up and on the tripod.

1. if you are shooting from Live View, the camera will keep the mirror up until the exposure ends, so MLU is of no benefit. Live View shooting will have less vibration than MLU.

2. Are you shooting in RAW? When you are looking at the LCD for image review after the shot, you may be viewing a smaller thumb in JPEG that is associated with the RAW file. Also while in Live view preview, there is a bit of sharpening added by the camera to aid in use of LV for manual focus. To assess sharpness of two different lenses, down load images and review on your computer under similar viewing conditions.
Remember LV preview is also using the same lens as the shot so it cannot be a faulty lens. It may be a poor AF calibration of the lens/body combination, but you are avoiding that with use of LV manual focus.

3. Are you using back button focus? The idea is to decouple the focus button from the exposure/shutter button. Then after LV MF you can shoot without danger of the camera trying to refocus and becoming out of focus. Explained here, page 2 is why and page 3 is how
http://learn.usa.canon​.com …icle.shtml?cate​goryId=121 (external link)
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

x0SiN0x
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 12, 2012 15:20 |  #34

davidc502 wrote in post #13692217 (external link)
Freinds don't let freinds pixel peep! Someone step up please... :)

http://www.ukphotosafa​ri.org …t-friends-pixel-peep.html (external link)
David

Sorry, cant be any help here (the pics seem to look fine to me though)

but had to comment on this video... omg its hilarious!

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

st3venb
211 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 12, 2012 21:38 as a reply to  @ davidc502's post |  #35

Sad, but here is my 24-70 without any microadjustments (didn't seem to do anything to how sharp it was in either direction.)

full image:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0029 (external link) by st3venb (external link), on Flickr

cropped:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0029-2 (external link) by st3venb (external link), on Flickr

Shot at ~10 feet wide open @ 70mm. I think it's probably time to send it in to canon. :(

Same lens, same distance... @ f/5.6....
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0032 (external link) by st3venb (external link), on Flickr

All of the shots were taken on a tripod with the self timer... used my flash to shoot at iso 100... and achieved focus lock on the target for each shot... using single point AF.

blah.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
my humble sites:
{flickr (external link) } { seeingflashes.com (external link) }

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 12, 2012 23:39 |  #36

riffster wrote in post #13692720 (external link)
Seems to me this is how rumors get started. Not ripping on anyone here, just observing. First the name of the post is, "24-70L seems soft", it goes for three pages before it seems to be resolved as user error. Meanwhile search engines index the thread and it's spread that the 24-70 is soft. Yet still the 24-70L remains the highest rated Canon zoom lens by far on B&H's site.

bw!

This seriously is the best, most common sense post I've read in a long long time.

To say I agree a 1000% is an understatement.

Reminds me of posts at my site. Someone will claim to see a alien image in their tv and the next thing you know thousands of people are convinced their tv has the same issue and everyone wants to return it.

My advise is simple. Enjoy your new purchase. Spend less time trying to find faults and more time enjoying your new piece of equipment. I remember when I first got my 24-70. I read all the posts about how soft the lens is. Instead of blaming myself, I blamed the lens. In reality, it takes time getting use to shoot with this lens. I found out the more I used it, the better my pics were.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 13, 2012 08:49 |  #37

JeffreyG wrote in post #13688492 (external link)
Stop. You cannot assess sharpness of a lens when reviewing a playback image at 10X. The Live View image is direct off the sensor. The playback image is actually a tiny little thumnail.

Playback images always look unsharp, and less sharp than live view.

Please take images with the lens as you were doing, then transfer them to your computer and view them on a monitor at the least.

^ What he said.

If you want to shoot live view, please go get a point & shoot. If you want to create a photograph look through the viewfinder, and take the time to create it. Only live view I've really ever done is for night shots of the moon etc for best exposures.

Not to mention, no photograph should be directly analyzed on the LCD unless you are using the histogram.(Something I need to work on to relieve my anxiety at times)

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 13, 2012 09:21 |  #38

In my opinion the shots that have been posted show no issues whatever. The lens is fine.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Gene ­ Smith
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 13, 2012 09:27 |  #39

JeffreyG wrote in post #13688492 (external link)
Stop. You cannot assess sharpness of a lens when reviewing a playback image at 10X. The Live View image is direct off the sensor. The playback image is actually a tiny little thumnail.

Playback images always look unsharp, and less sharp than live view.

Please take images with the lens as you were doing, then transfer them to your computer and view them on a monitor at the least.

I'm with Jeffrey, assessing a lens through live view is a fool's errand. Take the shots and download to a computer, then assess the lens. Best of luck, man!

Cheers,
Gene

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 16, 2012 20:49 |  #40

Buylongterm wrote in post #13696254 (external link)
My advise is simple. Enjoy your new purchase. Spend less time trying to find faults and more time enjoying your new piece of equipment. I remember when I first got my 24-70. I read all the posts about how soft the lens is. Instead of blaming myself, I blamed the lens. In reality, it takes time getting use to shoot with this lens. I found out the more I used it, the better my pics were.

+1

Absolutely! I've had mine since Christmas. I've had outstandingly sharp pics at various focal lengths. I've also had some blurry ones too, and those where not the camera or the lens fault. I did something wrong. I moved. The strong wind gust moved my body where I couldn't get a steady shot. I didn't have a fast enough shutter speed. DOF was too shallow. I didn't focus and recompose correctly. All types of things can occur. I even spent all day yesterday playing with micro adjust to see if I could get it even sharper. It wasn't a waste of time, it was a learning experience - my 24-70 is sharp enough with no adjustment. Today I brought it outside to shoot some real world pics - landscapes and people. As long as I did things correctly with this lens on my 5D Mark II the lens performed as I expected. Also lens code also Dec 2011, FWIW.

dexy101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,387 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2012 09:33 |  #41

spotz04 wrote in post #13716513 (external link)
+1

Absolutely! I've had mine since Christmas. I've had outstandingly sharp pics at various focal lengths. I've also had some blurry ones too, and those where not the camera or the lens fault. I did something wrong. I moved. The strong wind gust moved my body where I couldn't get a steady shot. I didn't have a fast enough shutter speed. DOF was too shallow. I didn't focus and recompose correctly. All types of things can occur. I even spent all day yesterday playing with micro adjust to see if I could get it even sharper. It wasn't a waste of time, it was a learning experience - my 24-70 is sharp enough with no adjustment. Today I brought it outside to shoot some real world pics - landscapes and people. As long as I did things correctly with this lens on my 5D Mark II the lens performed as I expected. Also lens code also Dec 2011, FWIW.

Thanks for everyones input and replies, i shall be using it more and fault finding less.
Its a really great lens and im sure there is nothing wrong, as pointed out, ill just have to learn how to use it.

Top replies guys :D

sponsored links

5,234 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70L seems soft.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.