Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Pro Platinum paper at Adorama, Cheap!

No ­ Angle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2012 14:47 |  #1

They are selling this paper rightnow well below what anyone else is, and I think it is due to the 50% off canon is running but they are out of stock, and Adorama says online that they are out of stock but after calling them he said they actually do have teh 8x10 and 13x19 and at less than $14 a box if you buy 3 it is a steal. I paid $30 locally for the 13x19 and $24 for the 8x10 pkus I had to pay tax on those, and no tax with Adorama for me, and free shipping. With canon I would pay tax plus 6 bucks shipping.

http://www.adorama.com​/ICA2768B019.html (external link)

7D / 70-200 F4L IS / 400 5.6L / 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 Kit / CS5 plus other software.
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
doubleo6point9
538 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2012 17:11 |  #2

Thanks for the heads up. I paid $35 locally + tax so this is a great deal. As a side note, I just picked up a pixma pro9000 MK II recently and printed a 13x19 print of this shot below using the pro platinum paper and it's freaking incredible! It looks just as good as a my metallic prints from Mpix.

IMAGE: http://www.sojournfoto.com/pictures/hnl_2.JPG

Southern California Wedding, Travel, Event and Portrait Photography (external link)

No ­ Angle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2012 17:40 |  #3

That is a nice shot where abouts was that? I would like to go there and see if I can get a nice shot. I printed a 13x19 of this pic but I enhanced it a little since the print tends to be darker. My Girlfriend loved and wants to frame it because it looks Fairy Tail like to her.lol It printed out really nice and still really sharp.

I also picked up 3 boxes of 13x19 and 3 of the 8x10. Locally that would of cost $160+

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6662771933_63e8d1b369_b.jpg

doubleo6point9 wrote in post #13694220 (external link)
Thanks for the heads up. I paid $35 locally + tax so this is a great deal. As a side note, I just picked up a pixma pro9000 MK II recently and printed a 13x19 print of this shot below using the pro platinum paper and it's freaking incredible! It looks just as good as a my metallic prints from Mpix.

doubleo6point9
538 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2012 18:20 |  #4

It was taken in Hawaii on a recent trip for work. Do you buy your paper from Samys normally? So far my prints look almost identical to what I see on my monitor but I haven't printed much yet so it's hard to really judge on that.

Southern California Wedding, Travel, Event and Portrait Photography (external link)

No ­ Angle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2012 18:41 |  #5

YA I bought my printer and first batch of paper from Samys last week. I returned the first printer because it had issues, and my Samy rep gave me a new ream of 8x10 for the issues. He is really cool about things and gives me discounts but it does not compare to this price. It is basically cost for them and he had no idea why Adorama is selling the paper at cost. They must have deeper discounts than Samy's. I have had good success with my printer and some picutres but others just come out all wrong sometimes, and I am using the same settings in DPP. I had no luck printing from CS5. I set the print profile to the Canon Pro Platinum paper rendering intent on perceptual, with the correct media for the paper then in print properties I set the color correction to none. When i had rendering intent on relative colormetric the blues came out way too purple. I have had issues with my sunset photos I took but other pics I tried came out great. I printed a picture I found of a PAgani Zonda supercar and it looked really super close to my monitor. The above pic came out great as well.

Now I just have to sell my T2i so I can get a 5DII. I want ISO performance mostly.

doubleo6point9 wrote in post #13694622 (external link)
It was taken in Hawaii on a recent trip for work. Do you buy your paper from Samys normally? So far my prints look almost identical to what I see on my monitor but I haven't printed much yet so it's hard to really judge on that.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 12, 2012 20:53 |  #6

Amazon has it for $20 so it's unlikely this is a Canon sponsored deal.

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2012 21:38 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #7

Ok... who bought all of the stock!!! ;)

It's out of stock/backorder now...

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

No ­ Angle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2012 21:39 |  #8

if you are looking on the site only it is wrong as I said in my first post. I called them and they said they had plenty and it was shipped tonight, so you can place the order online or call tomorrow and place it.

psxindo wrote in post #13695742 (external link)
Ok... who bought all of the stock!!! ;)

It's out of stock/backorder now...

doubleo6point9
538 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2012 22:47 |  #9

No Angle wrote in post #13694770 (external link)
YA I bought my printer and first batch of paper from Samys last week. I returned the first printer because it had issues, and my Samy rep gave me a new ream of 8x10 for the issues. He is really cool about things and gives me discounts but it does not compare to this price. It is basically cost for them and he had no idea why Adorama is selling the paper at cost. They must have deeper discounts than Samy's. I have had good success with my printer and some picutres but others just come out all wrong sometimes, and I am using the same settings in DPP. I had no luck printing from CS5. I set the print profile to the Canon Pro Platinum paper rendering intent on perceptual, with the correct media for the paper then in print properties I set the color correction to none. When i had rendering intent on relative colormetric the blues came out way too purple. I have had issues with my sunset photos I took but other pics I tried came out great. I printed a picture I found of a PAgani Zonda supercar and it looked really super close to my monitor. The above pic came out great as well.

Now I just have to sell my T2i so I can get a 5DII. I want ISO performance mostly.

That's pretty good. I'm not really a fan of Samy's. I've bought a bunch of bags and other stuff from them before but I've never received any good service. I figured it might have been since they were low cost items but I purchased me 35L from them a few years ago and barely got any decent service then. It's good you've got some good rapport with them. Probably the most enjoyable experience there was when I was last there to pick up some of the pro platinum paper and had a nice discussion about printing with the guy who rang me out.

Are you using any type of monitor calibration? I'm using the spyderpro 3 kit and my prints are accurate from several online printers and through the pixma pro9000 MK II.

No ­ Angle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2012 23:48 |  #10

Ya I will admit that the majority of people that work at the pasadena store are worthless and you can tell they hate being there. I always talk to the same guy who is great and has a loyal customer following for a reason. I have not calibrated my monitors yet and I will do it at some point but I need better ones. I have 3 Asus ve248H's and they are not great for photos but I still get some really close prints. It makes me think that calibrating is a little over hyped and it boils down to your PP itself and what settings you use for printing. I have had wild results from changing one thing in print settings and also with the profile I have set in CS5. I will do it though when I get a good IPS monitor but right now I think it would be like polishing a turd, you will be really busy, but in the end it just a bigger mess. The biggest thing for me right now is finding interesting places to shoot in Socal, and I tried to join a group but it did not work out. I wanted to strangle the group leader because he was such a tool, trying to inflict his beliefs on everyone. So now I drag my girlfriend along and she really does not want to go all the time to find things to take pics of. I am also more into bird photos now, but I am still interested in HDR and scenic photog.

doubleo6point9 wrote in post #13696051 (external link)
That's pretty good. I'm not really a fan of Samy's. I've bought a bunch of bags and other stuff from them before but I've never received any good service. I figured it might have been since they were low cost items but I purchased me 35L from them a few years ago and barely got any decent service then. It's good you've got some good rapport with them. Probably the most enjoyable experience there was when I was last there to pick up some of the pro platinum paper and had a nice discussion about printing with the guy who rang me out.

Are you using any type of monitor calibration? I'm using the spyderpro 3 kit and my prints are accurate from several online printers and through the pixma pro9000 MK II.

doubleo6point9
538 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 13, 2012 00:29 |  #11

No Angle wrote in post #13696280 (external link)
Ya I will admit that the majority of people that work at the pasadena store are worthless and you can tell they hate being there. I always talk to the same guy who is great and has a loyal customer following for a reason. I have not calibrated my monitors yet and I will do it at some point but I need better ones. I have 3 Asus ve248H's and they are not great for photos but I still get some really close prints. It makes me think that calibrating is a little over hyped and it boils down to your PP itself and what settings you use for printing. I have had wild results from changing one thing in print settings and also with the profile I have set in CS5. I will do it though when I get a good IPS monitor but right now I think it would be like polishing a turd, you will be really busy, but in the end it just a bigger mess. The biggest thing for me right now is finding interesting places to shoot in Socal, and I tried to join a group but it did not work out. I wanted to strangle the group leader because he was such a tool, trying to inflict his beliefs on everyone. So now I drag my girlfriend along and she really does not want to go all the time to find things to take pics of. I am also more into bird photos now, but I am still interested in HDR and scenic photog.

Ah I've never been to the Pasadena store. I've only shopped at the Santa Ana store which is not too far from me. There was a thread here awhile back about Samy's and plenty of people had complaints about the place so it's nothing new. I just go in, get what I want and attempt to get out in a hopefully reasonable amount of time.

I wouldn't say calibrating is hype. Think of it this way, how can you control what your photos will look like to other people, especially if you want to print or even display on the web. You may PP your photo one way but how do you know what the end result will really be when viewed by others? You can theoretically calibrate your monitor to match whatever the output from your printer is which is great if you only print from your printer, but you might not have a clue how everyone else (who has a calibrated monitor, or even non calibrated) will see the photo. Now the big issue is you have no clue if someone else has a monitor that is calibrated or not so it may look completely different to them but most who are serious about photography will have calibrated monitors. Which would be of great help if you want to post photos here and other places for some critique so that you could improve. Either way, it's one BIG variable that you can control when it comes to producing the final product. Plus you can always re-calibrate any monitor with whatever calibration kit you buy so it's not a total loss.

If you want to shoot more birds, take a drive down to Huntington Beach and stop by the Bolsa Chica wetlands. It's a great place to shoot and the bridge offers plenty of opportunity for those of us without any 400mm or longer lenses to grab some nice bird shots. Also if you take a drive further south a long the coast you'll find some great places for some landscape/seascape shots.

Doslyn
108 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2012 20:22 as a reply to  @ doubleo6point9's post |  #12

Thanks. I ordered 3 packs of the 9" x 13". Good price.

No ­ Angle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 14, 2012 22:23 |  #13

awesome glad to give you a heads up. this stuff can get expensive and it is nice to save basically half on this paper.

Doslyn wrote in post #13705592 (external link)
Thanks. I ordered 3 packs of the 9" x 13". Good price.

sponsored links

685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Pro Platinum paper at Adorama, Cheap!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.