Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 13 Jan 2012 (Friday) 06:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Web Design

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 13, 2012 06:42 |  #1

Can anyone recommend a website design site that will allow either me to do the design or one where they create it and I can easily update without knowing html. Looking for something that doesn't look like a cookie cutter design - thanks!

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links
lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 13, 2012 06:49 |  #2

Try a wordpress blog.

www.wordpress.com (external link). You can set your own site up on their server.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

mark1616
209 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 13, 2012 06:56 |  #3

I use Zenfolio, and wordpress for my site and blog respectively.

1DmkIV: 2x 5DmkIII: 2x 5DmkII: 5D: 7D: 15mm Fish: 17-40L: 24-105L: 70-200L IS (v1): 35L: 135L: 85mm f1.8: Σ50mm f1.4: Σ105mm f2.8 Macro: Σ120-300mm f2.8
A wedding photographer who knows he is not as good as he could be so always looking to improve. Happy to take any and all constructive advice and critique!
Devon Wedding Photographer (external link) - Plymouth Wedding Photography Blog (external link) - Facebook (external link)

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 13, 2012 07:32 |  #4

Thanks for that info. I should have been more clear, I was actually thinking of something more informational content-wise than just photo.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

mark1616
209 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 13, 2012 07:36 |  #5

In that case wordpress and a good template.

1DmkIV: 2x 5DmkIII: 2x 5DmkII: 5D: 7D: 15mm Fish: 17-40L: 24-105L: 70-200L IS (v1): 35L: 135L: 85mm f1.8: Σ50mm f1.4: Σ105mm f2.8 Macro: Σ120-300mm f2.8
A wedding photographer who knows he is not as good as he could be so always looking to improve. Happy to take any and all constructive advice and critique!
Devon Wedding Photographer (external link) - Plymouth Wedding Photography Blog (external link) - Facebook (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 11, 2012 16:28 |  #6

Drupal could be interesting to you too - you look at my site, it is a most basic Drupal theme.
Having said that though, unless there is a good idea what you really want, it is hard to recommend something. Some people like writing HTML websites by themselves and maintaining them - which can be quite OK if you lay them out in CSS well.
Other people prefer databases...

Up to about 10 or 20 pages, it is easiest to write your own site - beyond that, if you want to scale up, using a product "on the market" is possibly a good idea.
If you can use databases, I would suggest you look at open source options such as drupal, joomla... - but again, the question is, how much would you like to have on your site.

(Note: Some people might think Drupal is overkill for a personal website, and in some ways it is. At the same time, it lets you forget about scalability if you want to add extra content, it lets you forget about thinking about writing server side code - its in most cases a lot easier, especially if you want to be able to update your site from anywhere - for example your mobile - yepp, works on a BlackBerry - just scrolling is slightly difficult with the overlay.)

If you want to focus primarily on photos, Zenphoto is great (check link on my site :)) - which can be used to host other information via zenpage (just a them, comes with the Zenphoto package.).

http://drupal.org/ (external link)
http://www.zenphoto.or​g/ (external link)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

polishpunk68
43 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 12, 2012 09:11 |  #7

You can do some really cool things with Wordpress but I find that to really get a unique design going you do need to get into the HTML, CSS, and in some cases even PHP and Javascript coding. There are good canned templates for photo blogging but I find most to look very amateurish.

sponsored links

850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Web Design
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.