Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Jan 2012 (Friday) 07:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your storage method

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 13, 2012 07:47 |  #1

1. How do you store your photos?
2. Home computer, storage computer, server or NAS
3. Perfect storage solution?

We all have a way of doing things that may be better than other ways. I know with me I would like to store my photos on better equipment but money and in my case space hinder me.

I would like to know how you guys handle the large amount of photos that come over the years of shooting.

I personally use a Thermaltake Server case, Intel i7 920 processor with 6GB RAM 5-1TB harddrives running Microsoft Server 2008 R2 64bit.

I am not running any raid just using a manual program to do 1to1 mirrored copies. This is not the most efficient way but its working.

Website (external link)

CANON

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 13, 2012 07:58 |  #2

1a. Import in Lightroom from CF (5D2, 1D2) or SD (X100) to a 500GB G-Drive Mini FW800 external drive
1b. Lightroom catalog lives on 240GB SSD in my i7 MacBook Pro (which gives me a consistent 4-500 MB/s...awesome!)
1c. Memory card is not formatted until I have backed up the 500GB external drive
2. Catalog is automatically backed up by Time Machine every hour.
3. 500GB external is backed up automatically at 9:30AM every day to a 1TB LaCie drive in my office.
4. 1TB LaCie is backed up weekly to a second 1TB LaCie drive, also in my office.**
5. At the end of the calendar year, I archive the previous year's photos onto 2 external USB 2.0 drives, one of which lives at my parents, one of which lives in my office.
6. Also at the end of the year I format the FW800 drive to give me a new 500GB of space for the coming year.
7. Exported JPGs go to the FW800 drive and/or to Photoshelter.

This system has some big benefits for me. My LR catalog is always backed up, so my edits are never more than an hour old. The photos themselves are backed up daily, and always exist in at least two places.

The weakness of my system is noted by the ** above, and that is that my secondary backup lives in the same place as my primary backup. Thus, I'm not protected against theft or fire/flood/etc. Theft I'm not too worried about, since I work in a very secure environment (think triple card access + key entry + 24h security), but fire could be an issue, I suppose.

No RAID setups involved; I get the speed of an HD-based RAID 0 with my SSD for my LR catalog, anyway, and I have no need for the redundancy of RAID-1.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 13, 2012 07:59 |  #3

I use pairs of external hard drives. Each drive has the same content, if one fails, I replace it and load the data from the other on to the new drive.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 13, 2012 08:34 |  #4

How do you store your images?

Tom

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 13, 2012 09:46 |  #5

home mac, backup drive, cloud

zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 13, 2012 10:09 |  #6

Main files on computer, Weekly software backup to another internal drive, Weekly sync to network drive, monthly sync to external drive that is stored off site. All cheep solutions if you watch the sales probably have less than $300 invested in the 3 drives.... As i fill em up ill just transfer my raws to a new drive and off i go again

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

sponsored links

956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post your storage method
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.