Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2012 (Friday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time to change my signature...7D owner :)

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2012 10:34 |  #1

Just picked up a 7D, very please.

Now I need to learn the settings...time to read the manual!

Any suggestions or settings you like and why?

(excuse the iPhone picture)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

photo (external link) by mrrikki (external link), on Flickr

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 13, 2012 10:38 |  #2

Should have got a 5D ii...:lol:

I like putting the electronic level on and pretending I'm flying a plane.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

mrrikki
THREAD ­ STARTER
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2012 11:11 |  #3

*Jayrou wrote in post #13698086 (external link)
Should have got a 5D ii...:lol:

lol I got the 7D for sports :)

The electronic levelling is fun; I use it on the 60D when on a tripod.

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 13, 2012 11:21 |  #4

*Jayrou wrote in post #13698086 (external link)

And then press the shutter and pretend that you are in a WW2 dogfight :p

Congrats OP you'll enjoy it no doubt it's a great body..
Be sure to read thoroughly the section with the custom functions and learn the different AF modes well.. Once you master that you'll be amazed on what this baby can do in action based shots.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

mrrikki
THREAD ­ STARTER
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2012 11:33 |  #5

orbitechgr wrote in post #13698360 (external link)
And then press the shutter and pretend that you are in a WW2 dogfight :p

Congrats OP you'll enjoy it no doubt it's a great body..
Be sure to read thoroughly the section with the custom functions and learn the different AF modes well.. Once you master that you'll be amazed on what this baby can do in action based shots.

Currently reading a book on the Canon 7D by Nicole S. Young and also the manual.

nich0145
90 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 13, 2012 11:38 |  #6

The only thing i changed other than having the joystick to control my focus points and iso speed increment to 1 full stop is in custom fuction iii, 2nd tab and have it set to release/tracking priority.

Don't ask me why though as i don't remember :D (Too many people tells me too many things). Just a heads up, might find it useful.

Nicholas

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 13, 2012 11:40 |  #7

mrrikki wrote in post #13698285 (external link)
... The electronic levelling is fun; I use it on the 60D when on a tripod.

Yesterday, I realized that I can use it to check level our motorhome! I wish I hadn't because now I'll probably be grabbing the 7D every time I hang a picture.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 13, 2012 12:45 as a reply to  @ mrrikki's post |  #8

Congrats!

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 13, 2012 13:55 |  #9

Congrats,, I love mine. About once a month I'll read through the pdf manual and I swear there is more info there since I couldn't have missed it the first time :)
If you shoot sports I made one of my custom settings my sport settings, so when I'm out at an event half awake at sunrise, I don't have to think what the camera is on

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Sandals
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 13, 2012 14:07 |  #10

Congrats!

Come Monday I'll have the same set up. Can't wait.

Alex :p
7D | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Nifty-Fifty | Tamron 10-24mm | Canon 70-200mm F/4 L IS | Canon Speedlite 430ex II |

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 13, 2012 14:42 |  #11

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13698478 (external link)
Yesterday, I realized that I can use it to check level our motorhome! I wish I hadn't because now I'll probably be grabbing the 7D every time I hang a picture.

bw!

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

shine1
278 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 13, 2012 15:11 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #12

Congrats!

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,477 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 13, 2012 15:40 |  #13

mrrikki wrote in post #13698065 (external link)
Just picked up a 7D, very please.

Now I need to learn the settings...time to read the manual!

Any suggestions or settings you like and why?

The settings depend on what type of photography you do.

For myself, when I shoot action or airplanes in flight, my AF mode is AI Servo, and my
AF area selection mode is Single point AF, with the center point being selected. Although I've had good results using the Zone area selection mode when shooting multiple subjects, such as a formation of planes.

For stationary subjects, I use One-shot AF, with Single point AF as the area selection mode.

Tv or Av mode, raw and pp in DPP. I try to keep things simple ;)

I've read, and would recommend David Busch's 7D book...

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1326488​956&sr=1-7 (external link)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

mrrikki
THREAD ­ STARTER
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2012 16:06 |  #14

The AF system on this camera is mad; using AF point expansion set on the centre right now, plan to use this setting for sport.

It feels like a solid tank of a camera and makes my 60D feel a bit toy like (still love my 60D and will use both of them at weddings), need thought I would say that!

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 13, 2012 16:19 |  #15

Congrats!

I just picked up the BG-E7 grip today, and the 7D feels like one huge heavy camera now! (In a good way! :)

In the few weeks I've had my 7D, I've customised it quite a bit. Direct focus point selection on the joystick (love this!), playback on the centre set button, I've set the DOF preview button to toggle between single and continuous focus depending on the current mode, changed the info button behaviour, set back button focusing on the * button (easier to get to), removed the auto focus point focus modes from the focus selection options (just single point, single point expanded and spot available), slowed the focus tracking sensitivity, set the MFN button to bring up the VF electronic level, set independent focus points based on camera orientation and memorised some favourites that you can easily toggle between your faves and the centre point, and changed a bunch of other custom functions I can't remember right now.

I really like the level of customisation available. I also set up a variety of setups on the various C modes on the mode dial which are really useful.

Loving the 7D so far!

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

sponsored links

5,069 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time to change my signature...7D owner :)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.