Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 06 Jan 2012 (Friday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon D4 samples with 100% ISO 12800 crops

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2012 07:55 |  #16

Really its 2 stops better no? Cos now the base iso is 100 before it was 200... same as always with Nikon... They say their 3200 is as Canon 1600 when the already started 200 ... jumbo mumbo .... The D4 seems like a MKIV with full frame and the 1Dx seems like a compromise between 1ds3 and 1mkiv... nothing worth upgrading for many....

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 09, 2012 08:02 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

TweakMDS wrote in post #13672650 (external link)
The latter could be the case, especially and most obvious with things like long exposure noise reduction (= dark frame substraction), but technically speaking, the camera should not do any processing to the raw file, that's what DPP/lightroom/capture one/bibble etc are for).

I also suspect that the same difference that's so apparent between my 5D and 40D also exists in a certain degree between different full frame bodies. That could mean an older or newer body has more potential for cleaner files.

Looks like KR has come to a similar conclusion...

"The Canon 5D is clearly superior to anything else here because it doesn't get blurry at the highest ISOs. It has The Full-Frame Advantage. Look at the fur: the D300 wipes off all the fur and turns it into smooth skin at ISO 6,400! The D300 blurs everything to smithereens at ISO 6,400 to hide the noise, but it's like looking at the image though a veil. It's even more pronounced when I look at the full images on my 30" screen compared to these small clips. The D300 is a blur-o-rama at high ISOs. It's cheating! See Fallacies of Noise Measurements."

http://www.kenrockwell​.com …ons/2007-11/index.htm#200 (external link)

Wedding photography (external link)

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 09, 2012 09:26 |  #18

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13672691 (external link)
Looks like KR has come to a similar conclusion...

"The Canon 5D is clearly superior to anything else here because it doesn't get blurry at the highest ISOs. It has The Full-Frame Advantage. Look at the fur: the D300 wipes off all the fur and turns it into smooth skin at ISO 6,400! The D300 blurs everything to smithereens at ISO 6,400 to hide the noise, but it's like looking at the image though a veil. It's even more pronounced when I look at the full images on my 30" screen compared to these small clips. The D300 is a blur-o-rama at high ISOs. It's cheating! See Fallacies of Noise Measurements."

http://www.kenrockwell​.com …ons/2007-11/index.htm#200 (external link)

Mr Rockwell has come to many conclusions, sometimes opposite of earlier ones. Still, I wouldn't credit him for this one initially. It's a well known effect from noise reduction blur images. The trick is to blur so selectively that details remain.

What you should really look at is how the files look before noise reduction (even the very capable high ISO cameras will look FUGLY). Then, apply an optimized noise reduction, or shoot raw + jpeg to let the camera do it, and see what you end up with.

Eitherway, I'm much more practical in my photography lately. I don't care too much about sharpness or noise, since what I shoot with now is more than good enough for me.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jan 09, 2012 10:33 |  #19

The big letdown with the D4 is the apparent removal of the hardware switches for metering and AF selection. What gives with that? That's a step backward, IMO.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 09, 2012 15:01 |  #20

jase1125 wrote in post #13672521 (external link)
That is not the typical wording used when a manufacturer improves high ISO performance by one stop. Hence, my question on what Nikon is really stating.

No such thing as typical when it comes to marketing but the way I put it is the way I've read it in numerous places. Not sure how much simpler it can be.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

No ­ Angle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2012 01:49 |  #21

So this claim of "to ISO 204800 equivalent" is nothing more than a worthless claim? Seeing the results at 12800 I seriously doubt any image would be useable at 204k. The image at 12800 is not bad but not what I thought it would be from the latest Nikon has to offer. I see a lot of color noise in those pics. I figured with all the hype that 12800 would look like ISO 200 now and that is why they run up to 204k ISO. Seems like it will be nothing more than a feature that is tossed in to pump up the stats. I am sure it will be a good camera, but I am not sure why everyone is so quick to dump their D3s for this. I was at Samy's today and they had 2 people come in that day to trade in thier D3s for the D4. Not sure why they would do that seeing they could get more money selling it online, but whatever. I asked how much the D3s were going for and they said it doesnt matter since they are already spoken for. Looks like the D3s will get cheaper inthe used market now. I am waiting for all the early birds to jump on the 5D3 so I can grab their 5D2's at lower price.

7D / 70-200 F4L IS / 400 5.6L / 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 Kit / CS5 plus other software.
My Smugmug (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 10, 2012 12:38 |  #22

No Angle wrote in post #13678196 (external link)
So this claim of "to ISO 204800 equivalent" is nothing more than a worthless claim? Seeing the results at 12800 I seriously doubt any image would be useable at 204k. The image at 12800 is not bad but not what I thought it would be from the latest Nikon has to offer. I see a lot of color noise in those pics. I figured with all the hype that 12800 would look like ISO 200 now and that is why they run up to 204k ISO. Seems like it will be nothing more than a feature that is tossed in to pump up the stats. I am sure it will be a good camera, but I am not sure why everyone is so quick to dump their D3s for this. I was at Samy's today and they had 2 people come in that day to trade in thier D3s for the D4. Not sure why they would do that seeing they could get more money selling it online, but whatever. I asked how much the D3s were going for and they said it doesnt matter since they are already spoken for. Looks like the D3s will get cheaper inthe used market now. I am waiting for all the early birds to jump on the 5D3 so I can grab their 5D2's at lower price.

It's not a worthless claim, they're just saying it goes that high. Whether you choose to use the photos from that range is up to you. I agree though, while it looks good, I will be pouncing on some D3s's when they start dropping.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

jase1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 10, 2012 21:06 |  #23

elrey2375 wrote in post #13674894 (external link)
No such thing as typical when it comes to marketing but the way I put it is the way I've read it in numerous places. Not sure how much simpler it can be.

Obviously you are missing the point of my question with respect to Nikon's choice of wording.

Jason

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 11, 2012 19:19 |  #24

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13659821 (external link)
You'd have to listen to the Fro knows photo guy (if you can bare it as he personally drives me nut's)

http://www.youtube.com …U&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

I used to like the guy but his shticks got really annoying (Darth Vader, sniff and smell test, etc) Finally, I unsubscribed completely and the air around here is much fresher.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 11, 2012 19:43 as a reply to  @ Rainyday's post |  #25

Joe McNally talks at some length about the low light abilities of the D4. I suspect that will be marketing push. That, and the video abilities. Joe doesn't mention the video much, I'm not sure that's really his area of interest. Nikon can find other folks to uptalk the video.

I, too, will be looking at real world high ISO images with great interest, the march of technology is fascinating.

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 12, 2012 02:22 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Rainyday wrote in post #13688542 (external link)
I used to like the guy but his shticks got really annoying (Darth Vader, sniff and smell test, etc) Finally, I unsubscribed completely and the air around here is much fresher.

Yep that's what get's on my nerves. He's basically saying "hey look at me and press the subscribe button, look how silly and immature I can be about things you don't even care about, man I'm cool, next week I'll be laughing at my farts"

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jan 13, 2012 14:05 |  #27

TweakMDS wrote in post #13673054 (external link)
Mr Rockwell has come to many conclusions, sometimes opposite of earlier ones.

He has to appeal to his current sponsorship! Send him $50 thru paypal and tell him what he needs to say to keep your dough flowing. I bet the almighty $$$ wins, as he shamelessly begs for cash on EVERY SINGLE PAGE of his site.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 13, 2012 15:12 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

AngryCorgi wrote in post #13699198 (external link)
He has to appeal to his current sponsorship! Send him $50 thru paypal and tell him what he needs to say to keep your dough flowing. I bet the almighty $$$ wins, as he shamelessly begs for cash on EVERY SINGLE PAGE of his site.

Right? I'm confused, so that page wasn't showing how the 5D dominated the Nikon crops then?

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2012 13:45 |  #29

Rainyday wrote in post #13688677 (external link)
Joe McNally talks at some length about the low light abilities of the D4. I suspect that will be marketing push. That, and the video abilities. Joe doesn't mention the video much, I'm not sure that's really his area of interest. Nikon can find other folks to uptalk the video.

I, too, will be looking at real world high ISO images with great interest, the march of technology is fascinating.

I respect the hell outta Joe McNally, but he's Nikon's most famous endorser, and he likely takes home a good deal of money (and gear) from Nikon. I would expect him to sing the praises of the D4.

The images posted here suggest that ISO 12800 are just ok, no matter what Joe says.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

11,424 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon D4 samples with 100% ISO 12800 crops
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.