Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cyber Commander Tips and Setup Ideas, Groups

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 12, 2012 20:43 |  #1

I'm interested in hearing how people have their CC's setup, in terms of a scheme for saved setups, and tips and or clever ideas.

Also, I really don't get the group thing. I'd like to hear examples of clever ways that people are using groups. The only thing I can think of is there have been times when I'd like to fire or meter the background lights together separate from the front lights.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

sponsored links
c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 12, 2012 23:38 |  #2

I think that if you use more than 2 lights, having group settings is a pretty big deal. However, since I own 2 einsteins, there's not many saved presets to really work off of since adjusting the light output is much quicker than opening a new setup in the menu.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 12, 2012 23:52 |  #3

When would you use a group setting (which also requires saving to a memory slot) vs just saving the setup in a memory slot, but not as a group?

Dave Jr - MN

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 13, 2012 14:21 |  #4

for me, group settings are used for metering individual strobes/ seeing how the modeling lamp will contribute to the shot. I then use the all setting after I'm done with metering the light to trigger all the lights. The memory works if you have written down your own lighting setup on paper with specific distances/modifiers used in the setup. This would speed up the next "look" that you would be going for.

that's how I think of the open memory slots. I just wish there was a diagram with the open memory so that you know what setup you want to use with that memory slot.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Kaljam
154 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 13, 2012 15:10 |  #5

I had thought that the CC is a perfect item for strobing indoor sports. For example, you could set 4 strobes at a baskball game, one in each corner. This would allow you to select the two strobes that are to your left and right (behind you) from the baseline but not trigger the two by the opposite net.

Likewise, it would be ideal for swimming when you want to shoot head on for some strokes but from the side for others. True it might be a lot to set 4 strobe up for hs sports but it is one possible use.

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 13, 2012 22:30 |  #6

I'll take a stab with Plus and Minus options for each topic,

First off - the Save and Open menu commands - here are My thoughts
- NO CUSTOM NAMING ---- GRRR, CF1, CF2 (8 characters would be great...)
+ Ability to archive settings similar to rev.1, rev.2, etc
+ Syncing multiple CC's for group sessions or personal backup / 2nd CC or RMA if broke...
+ Configuring multiple setups with different photo stations on different frequencies without needing a CC for each station (individual action x5 lights freq1, headshot x3 lights freq2, groups x2 lights freq3) ((think about strobist group meetup with bunch o' lights OR school gym for cheer picture day with 1 photog shooting jumps, 30' away 1 photog shooting beauty / headshots and on the other side the 3rd photog shooting individual teams))
+ ISO, Shutter Speed, Strobe power, Modeling power, Frequency and Meter Calibration are unique with Save / Open Memory options
+ Ability to save Clear Glass vs. ND filtered calibrations (CF1 = 0 ND, CF2 = ND3, CF3 = ND4, etc.)
- NO CUSTOM NAMING ---- GRRR, CF1, CF2 (8 characters would be great...)
- NO knowledge of what CFx option is in use or last opened ---- Kinda GRRR

Now for the groups
- NO CUSTOM NAMING ---- limited to internal GRP1, GRP2, etc.
- No addtional settings are modified, only strobe, modeling power and device on/off state
+ repeatable setups
+ Multiple setups on same set (GRP1 = 3 light setup for White BG; GRP2 = 1 common light and 2 different lights for Black BG setup)

Hopefully this makes sense and you can see it focuses more on the Save/Open than the Group feature. Either way, it should give someone, some ideas.

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 18, 2012 22:05 |  #7

What I don't get with groups is, you can't permanently save settings to the GRP1, GRP2 etc slots, correct?

Yet GRP1-8 show up when toggling through light settings and also in the main shooting screen. So this is an on the fly thing only, that would need to be done during the shoot and can't be saved?

So, lets say I go to "set up groups" and set up GRP1 to be ch 3 and ch 4, background lights, all others off. I set up the group that way and leave. I would assume those settings would remain as GRP1, but no, I come back and GRP1 has become whatever I opened from memory. So, I figure, maybe you have to save the group to memory in order for it to stay there as GRP1, so I save the mentioned setup but you can't save to GRP1, so I save to SD25. Again I open a memory setup for all lights and GRP1 has reverted to what I opened from memory.

Maybe I'm over thinking this or just missing something.

Take Kaljam's example from Post #5, shooting basketball, you set ch1/ch2 as GRP1 and ch3/ch4 as GRP2. Any way to save this so next time those are still there as GRP1 or GRP2? If so, how?

Dave Jr - MN

sponsored links

2,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cyber Commander Tips and Setup Ideas, Groups
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.