Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sad, sad day

icopus
"the creep following them around taking pictures"
3,019 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2012 18:02 |  #16

JAbberwocky wrote in post #13705037 (external link)
... clean my filter 100 times and ... clean my front element 100 times.

OCD, eh?

IMAGE: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/joke.gif

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

sponsored links
coffee_mon
50 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2012 18:16 |  #17

It seems that there is a risk for using a filter. I don't use a filter after some special shots got wasted by light reflections off the front of the lens back into the backside of the filter and reflected back through the lens which produced some major ghosting from some lights.
Every time I shoot I have to keep in mind that I don't have filter in place and it is unfortunate to hear about your problem.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 14, 2012 18:27 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

lucasmcd wrote in post #13704693 (external link)
I know this issue raises its head every now and then but I am in the no filter camp , a lens cap does just fine for me ;).

I think walking around with a UV filter on is like walking around with a helmet on your head just in case you walk into a pole :D

LOL....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2012 19:13 |  #19

Filters for safety are stupid. Who cares if there are scratches, does it even matter on the front element at 1/8"??? I hate Uv filters for protection. Even $100 filters are a joke on a $600+ lens IMO.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

okcomputer
108 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 14, 2012 19:19 |  #20

CSMFoto wrote in post #13703277 (external link)
phew okay. They're less than about 1/8 of an inch but I didn't wanna have to do all kinds of repairs on it.

Oh man, you're fine. There are pieces of dust and sticky randomness on the front of mine bigger than that sometimes and it honestly makes no difference!

Canon 5D MKIII + Canon 60D + 16-35 f/4L IS, Σ35 f/1.4 Art, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
fadetowhite photography (external link) | gear list

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,486 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 14, 2012 20:13 |  #21

This test photo was taken with a kit lens with stuff stuck to the front of it. It is unlikely you will ever see any impact from very small marks on your glass.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lisa
"At least once a day"
2,325 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 14, 2012 20:25 |  #22

ben805 wrote in post #13704566 (external link)
Yea tell that to the OP. It's like saying yea I have been driving for 40 years without wearing seat belt and look I'm still alive and fine .:rolleyes: :rolleyes: He is the one with scratched front element, maybe you should pay for his repair. :rolleyes:

There have been many people that have drove that long with out seatbelts that are still alive. Comparing a scratch on a lens to riding in a car without seat belts is completely wrong, no one is gonna die because they didn't use a uv filter.

Gear (full list)
Canon 6D & 60D
Photobucket (external link)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 14, 2012 20:51 |  #23

Yea tell that to the OP. It's like saying yea I have been driving for 40 years without wearing seat belt and look I'm still alive and fine .:rolleyes: :rolleyes: He is the one with scratched front element, maybe you should pay for his repair. :rolleyes:

Only if you pay for the scratches when a smashed filter (happens a lot with a dropped lens) damages the front element.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

PHughes
392 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 14, 2012 23:40 |  #24

I understand that, I'm not commenting on the OP, I'm commenting on the crack about not using filters. Lenses usually are scratched by overzealous cleaning, improper cleaning, or simply using a lens cloth that has dirt or grit in it. They don't just get scratched by dirt getting on it. It is the improper removal of said dirt that does it.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 14, 2012 23:50 |  #25

PHughes wrote in post #13704187 (external link)
Mmmhmm, yeah... no. Sorry, scratches usually occur due to poor cleaning techniques.

Yes, but if you have a UV filter on, you will never have to clean your front element...

Also, accidents happen...once I was shooting a grizzly bear when someone shot off a bear bang (really loud thing to scare the bear off) it startled my ex-g/f and she jumped with a stupid walking stick in her hand, bashing it squarely in to my lens...I was happy that I only had to wipe the UV filter...but the amount of crap I've wiped off UV filters is insane (everything from fire retardant to saltwater spray)...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 14, 2012 23:53 |  #26

Oh yeah, and look at most people's camera phones...usually the "front element" (or really, the plastic shield) is scratched to hell and I've only seen ONE phone that took horrible pictures because of it...a few scratches on the front element won't likely affect IQ in any meaningful way :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 14, 2012 23:57 |  #27

But the problem is, a filter is not a seat belt. A filter is akin to a piece of glass installed in front of you chest whilst you are driving. That piece of glass may shatter and stab or pierce your body if you are involved in a high impact crash

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2012 00:00 |  #28

lucasmcd wrote in post #13704693 (external link)
I know this issue raises its head every now and then but I am in the no filter camp , a lens cap does just fine for me ;).

I think walking around with a UV filter on is like walking around with a helmet on your head just in case you walk into a pole :D

We all have different preferences

I agree UV filters are a waste of money, but I don't use lens caps, only filters because B+W filters are easier to keep clean compared to front elements.

The way I see it, lens caps are useless. Lenses are either safe in your bag, or on your camera ready to shoot. No need for lens caps.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,323 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 15, 2012 00:08 |  #29

true that. step off the soap box and take the wallet off the hip :D!

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2012 00:11 |  #30

I had a 17-70mm with a scratch. Never once showed up in ANY images.

Check this out: http://www.lensrentals​.com …0/front-element-scratches (external link)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

4,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sad, sad day
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.