Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Jan 2012 (Friday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nik Software Bundle. Is Everything Good?

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 13, 2012 09:36 |  #1

I have LR3 and CS5 and I've been looking at picking up the Silver Efex Pro 2. I can get academic pricing on the software and I was wondering if I'm just better off springing for the Ultimate bundle.

The bundle is however quite a bit more than picking up the Silver Efex Pro 2 alone. So my question is, how useful are the other software in the bundle?

Color Efex seems kind of interesting and Viveza seems like a powerful tool, but I'm not sure if these programs are really worthwhile to pick up. And what about other programs in the bundle like Dfine and Sharpener Pro? Are these programs worth using over what is in LR3 and CS5?

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
872 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 13, 2012 10:00 |  #2

If you can get the bundle with the discount, get it.
Color Efex pro, HDR Efex Pro and Silver Efex are wonderful.
Viveza is worth it for working on specific areas if you don't want to mask them yourself.
I don't use Dfine or Sharpener Pro.
Download the trial and experiment with it.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 13, 2012 11:34 as a reply to  @ Merlin_AZ's post |  #3

I am pretty new at processing. I have LR3 and CS5. I am decent in LR and have years ahead of me for CS5. I also purchased the NIK collection. This software is like Chess. You can learn about the use in a short amount of time, but it will take time to become an expert - although not nearly the time it takes to be an expert in CS5. Yet, there is so much one can do with NIK software that makes a hugh impact on the images you make. In my humble opinion, more than worth the price, especially if you get the student discount.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

tom1s
Goldmember
1,919 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 13, 2012 15:50 as a reply to  @ pbelarge's post |  #4

Your question was how useful were the other plug-ins in the bundle. That depends on what you do, but I have most of the plug-ins and they all do what they are designed to do very, very well.

I use Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex, Viveza and Dfine and they are all wonderful. Color Efex Pro is my go-to plug-in that I use on almost all of my photos. If you ever do B&W, Silver Efex is amazing. I find Dfine for noise removal and it works very well. Viveza was the first Nik product I purchased and is the one I use the least. My Photoshop skills have improved since buying it and I find I can do most of what Viveza does in Photoshop. But, it still comes in handy at times. If you would have a use for the different plug-ins, I would recommend getting the bundle. They are professional grade tools that work very well.

- I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jan 13, 2012 15:56 |  #5

When I first bought Nik software I didn't want to pay for the bundle so I just bought the sharpening and noise removal tools. After seeing how well they work and seeing the quality of results that people were getting with other tools like Silver Efex, I was stuck deciding whether it was better to pay for the whole collection or to just buy the other tools one at a time. Either way it would have been cheaper to just buy the complete bundle in the first place.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 13, 2012 18:58 |  #6

The Complete is worth it if you can get a discount. I almost never use Photoshop anymore. Aperture+Nik=Heaven.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 13, 2012 22:57 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #7

Hmm... you guys are making me lean towards the bundle. :)

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is my workflow. I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to process my photos and originally I was thinking of trying to stay in Lightroom as much as possible. But if the plugins in this bundle are better that means I will be exporting every one of my photos to photoshop to use the plugins. I suppose it's better to do things right.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2012 15:24 |  #8

You could always get the lightroom version of the plugins. Cheaper that way, too.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 14, 2012 22:29 |  #9

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #13701674 (external link)
Hmm... you guys are making me lean towards the bundle. :)

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is my workflow. I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to process my photos and originally I was thinking of trying to stay in Lightroom as much as possible. But if the plugins in this bundle are better that means I will be exporting every one of my photos to photoshop to use the plugins. I suppose it's better to do things right.

I first had the LR only bundle but having to switch between viveza, color efex & sharpening all the time drove me nuts so I upgraded to the photoshop version so its faster to work with

once in a while the brushes come in handy as well

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 14, 2012 23:34 as a reply to  @ tekkie's post |  #10

Purchased the ultimate bundle. Unfortunately there was an error in processing my order so I probably have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get my download links. Maybe I should just download the trial and get going. :)

I got an additional workflow questions for you guys who make heavy use of the Nik softwares. What do you actually use LR for?

I'm thinking I'll still import photos into LR first to manage my photos. Set the WB and exposure. Maybe crop and limited retouching. Then send it to Dfine for noise reduction, Presharpener, Color/Silver/Vivenza, then end with output sharpening. But what about contrast? Do you add some in LR or do you wait to add it in Color/Silver/Vivenza? I've been watching the Nik tutorials and it seems it might actually be easier to do less in LR if you're going to use the Nik tools anyways.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 14, 2012 23:50 |  #11

Another bundle user. NIK had the Ultimate package on sale a few months ago and I sprung for the whole thing. I mainly use NIL with PS on single images, but it's really handy using it in batch mode via LR for weddings and events where many pictures will get the same processing

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Angry ­ Dad
783 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 15, 2012 02:46 |  #12

Nik has the best stuff out there. Never heard a complaint about any of their stuff before. Really creative stuff.

www.tembophotography.c​omCanon 5DmkII, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L II Canon 35mm 1.4L Canon 24-105L Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX and a bunch of other crap. (external link)

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2012 14:24 |  #13

I use their sharpening out for prints, and it works superbly!

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 15, 2012 19:07 |  #14

I spent today in a workshop on Viveza, Color Efex, Silver Efex and HDR Efex. I've been using Color and Silver for about 6 months but until today I didn't realize how little I was actually using.

And for anybody in the Mid-Atlantic area of the US, I wholeheartedly recommend www.coreyhilz.com (external link) for training.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 15, 2012 19:28 |  #15

You should have videotaped it for us!

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

4,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nik Software Bundle. Is Everything Good?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.