Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Speedlighting Solved

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,428 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2012 09:22 |  #61

Watching the 2nd video. Nice stuff but right at start someone asks, what happens when you change little of your composition and he is like you have to make sure you don't as he using eTTL and Av mode. If you change horizontal to vertical or your shooting position or zoom in, eTTL and Av mode going to change flash as well as ambient exposure. So he says in that case I will move to manual exposure. So my rookie question is why not be in manual to begin with? That older gentleman he is trying to shoot is not moving, lighting is not changing, so why eTTL or Av mode?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,835 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2012 09:44 |  #62

bobbyz wrote in post #13685163 (external link)
Watching the 2nd video. Nice stuff but right at start someone asks, what happens when you change little of your composition and he is like you have to make sure you don't as he using eTTL and Av mode. If you change horizontal to vertical or your shooting position or zoom in, eTTL and Av mode going to change flash as well as ambient exposure. So he says in that case I will move to manual exposure. So my rookie question is why not be in manual to begin with? That older gentleman he is trying to shoot is not moving, lighting is not changing, so why eTTL or Av mode?

Thats a good point bobby. Its probably a wash either way. There are situations where on is going to be better or vice verse. Either would work. AV your just going to exposure compensate to change the shutter speed but flash compensation might be easier from the back of the camera in AV. I was at a shoot last night and AV just would cut it with the back lighting i had so i switched it to manual and got a better result. Always something that could make you switch modes. Know them both and your in such a better place for decisions.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 11, 2012 10:49 |  #63

drvnbysound wrote in post #13639975 (external link)
That being said, Syl mentions that there are some functions missing or lacking from the PocketWizard TL (Mini/Flex) system, but never says what they are. Can anyone list what these may be?

At 1:22:00 or so?

What he's referring to there is that you cannot use the in camera menu to control the flash as if it were on camera.
A pixel King does allow this by the way. http://www.lightingrum​ours.com …trigger-on-the-block-1265 (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 11, 2012 10:50 |  #64

wayne.robbins wrote in post #13684461 (external link)
Has he fixed his site yet ?

Issue was fixed a long time ago.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

stickman513
588 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 14, 2012 11:39 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #65

Wow. I just got my first speedlite and just started experimenting with it. This is such a huge help...Im pretty excited to start experimenting more with lighting, and getting another lite or two...

Doug
6D | T2i
24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 10-22 | 105 Macro
430 EX II | Yongnuo Triggers | Manfrotto Legs | Lee & Marumi Filters

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 14, 2012 23:21 |  #66

Learned a ton from Syl. Thanks for finding and sharing this link!

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

David ­ from ­ NC
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2012 03:48 as a reply to  @ TTuna Eye's post |  #67

I too just found this about a week ago online. I have watched the videos several times this week and pause them, take notes, etc.

Like many have said-Syl is a great instructor (I am one in my field, and I find myself always rating other instructors.) This condenses all the dry text from the manual that I would never have been able to comprehend and put into usable practice.

I had also seen that he had some stuff on Scott Kelby's site, but that that would cost and since I don't do Photoshop, I couldn't justify joining just for the vids by Syl.

I am already pro-BH but even more so with them posting the two videos. The first (the one mentioned by the OP) is my favorite, but the second ("Lighting the Persona") is definitely worth watching.

Ironically, I went to a Barnes and Noble the day before I found the video and bought Doug Box's book on flash, and not Syl's. There is some good stuff in Doug's, but I will get Syl's next.

emmalish
353 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 16, 2012 13:16 |  #68

umphotography wrote in post #13625240 (external link)
For those that are still new to using a speedlight and how its all done,,this is a must watch video by Syl Arena.

I baught his book this year and it changed how I approach my lighting. Im in AV mode more than im in Manual mode and once you learn what Syl is teaching here,,your photography will go to another level. This was done at B&H training studio. Syl has his act together when working with speedlights

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com …IRg1ApGE&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

Thank you so much for this link! I've had it bookmarked for awhile but finally started watching it last night. I'm only halfway through but I've learned SO much.

50D
24-85 | MP-E 65 | 60 Macro | 100 Macro | 70-200L f/4 IS | Tamron 90 Macro
420EX | 580EX | MT-24EX

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 16, 2012 14:50 |  #69

The nice thing is that it goes hand in hand with his stuff on KelbyTrianing.com and his book "The Speedliter's Handbook". Canon should hire him to write their future flash tutorials and manuals.
b
He is to Canon Speedlites as Joe McNally is to Nikon Speedlights and David Hobby was to Strobist.

He has it down pat and talks so the beginner or layman can understand. Even the experts will learn something from him..

They all say to follow a certian path. Buy you camera and lens, learn to use them before moving to the next step. Then buy a single Speedlite, learn to use it. Then a modifier, learn it, then start adding equipment to your arsenal one at a time. Wish I would have known this back when I bought my speedlites. I learned using Vivitars 285s and mastered the manual side then went hog wild with the Canon speedlites while they made a huge improvement in my flash photography the off camera stuff was foreign and it wasn't until I read Chuck Gardners Tutorial on the Canon Wireless system wadi able to get them to work. Then it Was Joe McNally who showed me how to set them up and position them correctly. It wasn't until Syl Arena who thought me to experiment with them to be more creative.

Joe McNally who has a saying you must know the rules before you can break them creativity.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

emmalish
353 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 16, 2012 15:06 |  #70

Blackey Cole wrote in post #13909820 (external link)
The nice thing is that it goes hand in hand with his stuff on KelbyTrianing.com and his book "The Speedliter's Handbook". Canon should hire him to write their future flash tutorials and manuals.
b
He is to Canon Speedlites as Joe McNally is to Nikon Speedlights and David Hobby was to Strobist.

He has it down pat and talks so the beginner or layman can understand. Even the experts will learn something from him..

They all say to follow a certian path. Buy you camera and lens, learn to use them before moving to the next step. Then buy a single Speedlite, learn to use it. Then a modifier, learn it, then start adding equipment to your arsenal one at a time. Wish I would have known this back when I bought my speedlites. I learned using Vivitars 285s and mastered the manual side then went hog wild with the Canon speedlites while they made a huge improvement in my flash photography the off camera stuff was foreign and it wasn't until I read Chuck Gardners Tutorial on the Canon Wireless system wadi able to get them to work. Then it Was Joe McNally who showed me how to set them up and position them correctly. It wasn't until Syl Arena who thought me to experiment with them to be more creative.

Joe McNally who has a saying you must know the rules before you can break them creativity.

His teaching style is very accessible. I don't use my speedlites often – probably because I've never really wrapped my head around how they work –*so I'm very much a newbie at this. I've tried reading other instructions and watched other videos, but I still came away feeling a bit muddled. But the way he explains things makes sense. Finally. Just placed the order for his book. Will check out his stuff on kelby after I finish watching this vid.

50D
24-85 | MP-E 65 | 60 Macro | 100 Macro | 70-200L f/4 IS | Tamron 90 Macro
420EX | 580EX | MT-24EX

sponsored links

10,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
Speedlighting Solved
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.