Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS AUTO FOCUS OVERATED???

Musicmacd
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 15, 2012 16:55 |  #1

This is my first forum post!!! I recently bought some Carl Zeiss lens and have found manual focus with a eg-S screen on a 5D2 to be more effective (in most cases) than using auto focus. I have MA corrected my lens. Whats your feeling on this???

CANON TS E 24Lmk2 35L, 50L, 85L2, 100 2.8, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200L f4
ZEISS ZE21 2.8,ZE 35 1.4, ZE50 2 MAKRO
5d mkII

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,468 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 15, 2012 17:02 |  #2

Try shooting sports with a long zoom using MF with your lens wide open. It can be done, but it takes a lot of skill.

If you are shooting landscapes with a wide angle lens and small aperture you definitely don't need AF.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 15, 2012 17:07 |  #3

I wouldn't say AF is overrated - it's a tool like any other and has its place. Sometimes it is the right tool and sometimes not. As Bob said, modern AF is faster than a person can manually focus so for fast action it is definitely the way to go, but for macro and landscapes, where you usually have time to make sure the focus is where you want it, manual focus (I usually do it with Liveview) can give the best results.

Mark.

crazeazn
398 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 15, 2012 17:09 |  #4

its not

John H.
some bodies, some lenses

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 15, 2012 17:13 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Glad you are a Carl Zeiss fan...:) Overrated? Not really. If you shoot still subjects and have all the times in the world to compose the shots, AF really isn't necessary. When you have to focus in low light or shooting moving subjects, you are better off with AF. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

iresq
21 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 15, 2012 17:15 |  #6

AF and MF both have their place.

x0SiN0x
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2012 17:17 |  #7

Call me lazy but I like AF (even with the eg-s screen)

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

imperian
196 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2012 17:55 |  #8

To me, they serve different purpose. In controlled environment, I have no hesitation to shoot Zeiss for Portrait....

5D Classic | 17-40L | 50L | Nikkor 28/2 Ai
flickr (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)
Review: Auto Chinon 55mm f1.7 - The Oil-painting BOKEH lens (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2012 17:57 |  #9

Oh cool ... another IS thread!

iresq wrote in post #13709480 (external link)
AF and MF both have their place.

Give me a DSLR body with a bright viewfinder, an excellent screen and I'd do manual focus almost all the time. Just like I did when I started out in photography. Back then it was manual only and I cannot recall any focusing problems.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 15, 2012 18:17 |  #10

Musicmacd wrote in post #13709394 (external link)
This is my first forum post!!! I recently bought some Carl Zeiss lens and have found manual focus with a eg-S screen on a 5D2 to be more effective (in most cases) than using auto focus. I have MA corrected my lens. Whats your feeling on this???

Are you aware of the history of Canon SLR's and 35mm cameras?

In the 1980's, Canon had a series of cameras based on a state-of-the-art system, the FD mount. (external link) FD cameras, such as the AE-1 Program, were among the best in the business, and they used manual focus lenses that were some of the most effective on the market.

But Canon's technical and commercial advantage disappeared when Minolta came out with their A-mount series of cameras (external link) in the mid 1980's. The Minolta Maxxum  (external link)offered a new autofocus system and a series of autofocus lenses to work with that camera. Minolta autofocus cameras offered something that Canon could not match. It turned out that photographers preferred the convenience of autofocus to the process of manual focus lenses, and Minolta moved to the top of the industry.

At first, Canon offered a few kludged autofocus FD lenses. Then the company gave up on the manual focus FD system, and in 1987 Canon released an all-new series of autofocus cameras, the EF-mount EOS series. (external link) Photographers complained they were being abandoned by Canon when the EF cameras were released. Then they saw the cameras' autofocus capabilities, decided they liked autofocus more than manual focus, and made the switch.

If autofocus was "overrated," then the Minolta Maxxum would have failed, and Canon would not have been pressured into developing the EF-mount. Canon would have joined Nikon in using the same lens mount for 40 years, and most of the lenses currently produced would have never been developed. Instead, only a tiny fraction of EF-mount lenses in use today are manual focus lenses, presumably because the customers want it that way.

These are the lessons taught by history.

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2012 18:51 |  #11

AF is definitely not over rated underwater! It is usually your best friend when trying to track little critters with a macro lens.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 15, 2012 19:03 |  #12

Just a point, but its my understanding that modern AF lenses are made with AF in mind, and as such tend to have a slightly less fine control over focusing manually as opposed to traditional manual focusing lenses (such as the Carl Zeiss lenses which are made purely for manual focusing).

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

joechaos
45 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 15, 2012 19:08 |  #13

After looking at family photos from 20 years ago, AF is essential since most of the pictures are not properly focussed.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 15, 2012 19:12 |  #14

Hehe! I've seen some action shots with a Leica M9! It does take skill!

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 15, 2012 19:12 |  #15

lol. nope.

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

sponsored links

6,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS AUTO FOCUS OVERATED???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.