Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 24 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Air Museum... what lens?

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 24, 2011 13:42 |  #1

Hi,

I'm heading down to Seattle for a few days to visit friends. Looking to visit the air museum. I just want a single lens solution.

Should I bring the tamron 28-75 f2.8 or the EF 17-40L? Will be used with a 7D.
I think the Canon would be better because of wide. But for most days, I really like the tamron for people pictures. And it's a brighter lens. Ahh... the dilemma.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

sponsored links
hard12find
597 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 24, 2011 13:47 |  #2

Probably a 28 - 70 as you will be pretty close to most displays. The McCall wing is pretty dark so fast if you have it.
Jim

20D, 10D, Fuji S-20, Mamiya C220 medium format, Sekonic L-508 meter, 2 alien bee 800's, AB remotes, Sigma 500 HS flash, 70-200 F2.8 L, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG, lots of glass, lots of stuff,8-)

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 24, 2011 13:55 |  #3

Faster lens the better. While I haven't been to that particular musuem, most are dark. But it also depends on the space. Only someone who has been there can tell you if 28 will be wide enough. I imagine 28 would be probably be wide enough, but can't say for sure.

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 24, 2011 14:36 as a reply to  @ Raylon's post |  #4

Pictures from the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, using a Canon 18-55mm IS lens. Available light and no flash, to take full advantage of the museum's dramatic lighting.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 18.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: +0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Exposure Time: 0.125 s (1/8)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Exposure Time: 0.125 s (1/8)

The camera was an XTi, operated hand-held. Several frames were exposed, and the best of those frames were used. The lens' stabilization feature made hand-holding the camera easier and eliminated the need for a tripod.

delhi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 24, 2011 14:55 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #5

Nice!

I think my friend may have a kit lens. So I might ask him to bring it along and use his camera for wide angles.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 25, 2011 12:49 |  #6

Museum of Flight's main hall has a ton of light because it's all glass.

Their new wing which incorporates the collection they acquired from Arizona is a cave with minimal lighting.

Pretty good light in most areas of the Little Red Barn annex attached to the museum.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Nmcgrew
874 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 26, 2011 15:18 |  #7

You do have an odd situation to work with here. Your fast lens is not wide enough on a crop camera for the McCall wing. And your wide lens in not fast enough. Either lens will work well in the main hall. Take both and see which one you like better in McCall wing. It's dark and you're very close to the subject matter with not much room to back up. I shot it once with a 35mm f2 and a 1D MKII (1.3 crop) and had trouble. Even at ISO 1600 and really slow shutter speeds.

And if you get a chance, head up to Everett and go to the Flying Heritage Collection, the Historic Flight Foundation and the Future of Flight Museum. Also, the tour of the Boeing Everett factory is interesting. (biased...sitting in my office in the factory right now taking a break)

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 29, 2011 10:51 as a reply to  @ Nmcgrew's post |  #8

Loved the Airforce Museum in Dayton, OH.. can't wait to go back. Great FREE fun, big, lots of great aircraft... HATED trying to shoot pictures there. Won't even take my camera next time (well, maybe not lol)

The problem with the USAF museum (and many museums of their type, but NOT all) is that the planes are above you. Its a great place to get under carriage pictures, tires, etc. There are limited opportunities to get decent composed pictures. There are a few ladders to look into cockpits, that I tried to use to get shots of the planes in the area. Also at either end of each hanger there is an elevated balcony that does give you a view to the tops of the planes, but its limited.

The Air and Space museum, in particular the annex at Dulles Airport, is an exception to this issue. They have ramps, and walkways along most of the main hanger.

Of course this depends on each aircraft. Some are very nice from the ground. Helo's are great from the side. And the overall experience is great, but the photos I found disappointing.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2012 23:07 |  #9

boufa wrote in post #13615125 (external link)
Loved the Airforce Museum in Dayton, OH.. can't wait to go back. Great FREE fun, big, lots of great aircraft... HATED trying to shoot pictures there. Won't even take my camera next time (well, maybe not lol)

The problem with the USAF museum (and many museums of their type, but NOT all) is that the planes are above you. Its a great place to get under carriage pictures, tires, etc. There are limited opportunities to get decent composed pictures. There are a few ladders to look into cockpits, that I tried to use to get shots of the planes in the area. Also at either end of each hanger there is an elevated balcony that does give you a view to the tops of the planes, but its limited.

The Air and Space museum, in particular the annex at Dulles Airport, is an exception to this issue. They have ramps, and walkways along most of the main hanger.

Of course this depends on each aircraft. Some are very nice from the ground. Helo's are great from the side. And the overall experience is great, but the photos I found disappointing.

I just got back and it was just as I remembered. It was dark, cramped (impossible to isolate most aircraft) and it was all looking up from under. I had my camera the entire day and did not take a single picture. For example, they have a predator and a global hawk drone. They hang from the ceiling and are marginally lit, plus their wingspan is something like 50 ft, but they are only maybe 6 feet tall.

Don't get me wrong... loved the museum. It is simply not a great photographic experience.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Jan 27, 2012 04:29 |  #10

I used a Sigma 10 - 20 and Canon 28-135 for my recent trip around fantasy of flight, and a 100-400 for their "aerial demonstration of the day":

Some examples:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

mike_kukavica
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 27, 2013 20:21 |  #11

I realize I'm pretty late to this party, however I do have some experience in shooting in museums. Many museums just won't let you use a tripod, but there are a surprising number that do. In my personal experience, the following will let you use a tripod (for non commercial photography, that is):

National Museum of the USAF (Dayton, OH)
National Museum of Naval Aviation (Pensacola, FL)
Museum of Flight (Seattle, WA)
Flying Heritage Collection (Everett, WA)
San Diego Air and Space Musem (San Diego, CA)
Lyon Air Musem (Orange County, CA)
USS Midway Museum (San Diego, CA)
Planes of Fame (Chino, CA)
Yanks Air Museum (Chino, CA)
Palm Springs Air Museum (Palm Springs, CA)
Museum of Aviation (Warner Robins, GA)
Tennessee Museum of Aviation (Sevierville, TN)
EAA AirVenture Museum (Oshkosh, WI)
Pima Air and Space Museum (Pima, AZ)
Flying Leatherneck Museum (San Diego, CA)
The Luftfhart Musem (Hannover, Germany)
Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum (Sinsheim, Germany)

I've used a tripod in each of these museums. However, every time I visit a museum for the first time, I write them an email beforehand asking what the situation is. This is a big help to avoid bringing the thing and getting disappointed when you get there...

The Smithsonian group of museums and their knuckle dragging rent-a-cops will give you a hard time if you try to do anything to get a decent photograph, don't even mention a 3 inch tripod...

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 27, 2013 21:02 |  #12

mike_kukavica wrote in post #16558483 (external link)
I realize I'm pretty late to this party, however I do have some experience in shooting in museums. Many museums just won't let you use a tripod, but there are a surprising number that do. In my personal experience, the following will let you use a tripod (for non commercial photography, that is):

National Museum of the USAF (Dayton, OH)
National Museum of Naval Aviation (Pensacola, FL)
Museum of Flight (Seattle, WA)
Flying Heritage Collection (Everett, WA)
San Diego Air and Space Musem (San Diego, CA)
Lyon Air Musem (Orange County, CA)
USS Midway Museum (San Diego, CA)
Planes of Fame (Chino, CA)
Yanks Air Museum (Chino, CA)
Palm Springs Air Museum (Palm Springs, CA)
Museum of Aviation (Warner Robins, GA)
Tennessee Museum of Aviation (Sevierville, TN)
EAA AirVenture Museum (Oshkosh, WI)
Pima Air and Space Museum (Pima, AZ)
Flying Leatherneck Museum (San Diego, CA)
The Luftfhart Musem (Hannover, Germany)
Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum (Sinsheim, Germany)

I've used a tripod in each of these museums. However, every time I visit a museum for the first time, I write them an email beforehand asking what the situation is. This is a big help to avoid bringing the thing and getting disappointed when you get there...

The Smithsonian group of museums and their knuckle dragging rent-a-cops will give you a hard time if you try to do anything to get a decent photograph, don't even mention a 3 inch tripod...

To re-emphasize a point made a couple of years ago: camera settings, a steady hand and a stabilized lens eliminates the need for a tripod.

Examples from the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Ohio. All of these images were created hand-held.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1111a0088_zps4b​11a59e.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2009-11-11 12:39:40 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 25.0mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.067 s (1/15)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1111a0048_zps67​e6fbb1.jpg (external link)

Image Date: 2009-11-11 12:34:22 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 21.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.100 s (1/10)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1111a0032_zpsd9​3964f5.jpg (external link)

Image Date: 2009-11-11 12:32:15 (no TZ)
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)

The lens was a Canon 18-55mm IS. The Canon XTi was set to a high ISO and Program AE. The camera selected long exposure times. The lens' stabilization, combined with a steady hand, minimized motion blur. The XTi was set to continuous framing and the best image of three or four of each setup was selected.

Again, no tripod was needed and flash was not necessary. Available light, while dim, was sufficient, and no super-fast lens was required.

These images were created before the dawn of Live View framing and with a camera that had a maximum ISO of 1600, features that will ease this technique with newer models.

sponsored links

7,827 views & 1 like for this thread
Air Museum... what lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.