Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera back pack that doesnt scream rob me?

jimd118
98 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 15, 2012 22:37 |  #1

Hi Guys,
I am doing more and more photo work with my business out in the woods, climbing and backpacking shoots etc. My current bags are not working as my camera specific bags do not offer room for other gear needed for these trips, while my actual hiking back packs dont offer proper protection and organization for my camera gear. What companies do you guys know of that are producing good back country camera solutions that are a big bang for the buck but also have a look that isnt begging to have you robbed when used in an urban environment? So far the best ive seen I think is F-stop but they still look like your are carrying around expensive gear in it. Appreciate any help!

sponsored links
Avoidpuddles
50 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 15, 2012 23:41 |  #2

I've used a camping backpack and added inserts to protect the gear.

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 16, 2012 05:52 |  #3

I have a LowePro Primus AW backpack that seems to be padded pretty well and IMO doesn't really look like a camera bag. In fact I bought it because we can use the upper compartment for regular hiking stuff.

The lower compartment doesn't hold a whole lot: body with long lens plus two short lenses. Upper compartment is an open space that would probably hold a gallon milk jug plus a few odds and ends. I keep my flash, Pocket Wizards, lens cleaning stuff, filters and junk like that in the upper.

What would you typically carry?

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

Eric
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2012 06:08 |  #4

Check out f-stop bags. I had the Tilopa and loved it. Just didn't use it enough to keep it. They look alot more like a regular backpacking bag than a camera bag

Eric Darlington Photography (external link)
flickr (external link) / [URL="[URL]http://eric​darlington.500px.com/"​]500px / [URL="[URL]http://www.​facebook.com/EricDarli​ngtonPhotography"]Face​book
[URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=8612297&postcou​nt=1945"]Tools

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2012 06:34 |  #5

Have you considered something like a regular JanSport backpack? Toss some foam in there and you're set. Depends how organized you need to be though of course. I'm using a dedicated camera backpack from eBay that screams "this bag is cheap - do you REALLY think anything good is in here?!"

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 16, 2012 07:28 |  #6

I have a Kelty for my 4x5 equipment. In place of foam I use lens wraps and insulated lunch bags ($5 or so at Target) to protect the gear. Very very light weight compared to a photo backpack. Some of the photo backpacks are between 5 and 10 lbs. before adding equipment.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,163 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 16, 2012 09:04 |  #7

Instead of a new backpack, perhaps consider a new accessory: a holster with a handgun in it.

Website (external link) |

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 16, 2012 09:06 |  #8

Not enough room in a holster to carry his gear, which is the problem he's asking about.

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 16, 2012 10:17 |  #9

Does the backpack really make a difference when it comes to being robbed?

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2012 10:23 |  #10

highergr0und wrote in post #13713001 (external link)
Does the backpack really make a difference when it comes to being robbed?

It boils down to announcing what you're carrying around. Once you open the bag it's pretty much moot though.

My insurance company didn't ask me if my business was on the side of my car merely out of curiosity.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 16, 2012 10:25 |  #11

I like to use my Spider-Man backpack.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2012 13:30 |  #12

I usually have my .45 strapped on when hiking. That likely deters any would-be thieves.

Gear List

tristinGrind
531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2012 13:45 |  #13

Eric wrote in post #13712094 (external link)
Check out f-stop bags. I had the Tilopa and loved it. Just didn't use it enough to keep it. They look alot more like a regular backpacking bag than a camera bag

This.

Great bags.

-- Tristin
FB: +12/-0

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2012 14:54 |  #14

http://www.dakine.com/​w/packs/photo-packs (external link)

I don't know if this is what you are after but I have a Dakine photo bag and I love it. Super good quality and IMO it looks like a regular "snowboarding" pack. I've used this bag and had people say "I thought you were gonna bring your good camera with you".

jimd118
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2012 15:36 |  #15

Ive considered the "make your own route" but my main issue is I dont want to buy a cheap bag thats uncomfortable and not durable when im putting a lot of miles down, if I get a decent bag from from Mountain Hard Wear or something by the time I rigged it for photo gear it would probably not be much cheaper than buying a made for photo backpack. I would like to find something "medium" sized that can fit camera + 4 lenses and two flashes, Have room for a bit of gear and supplies as well as a sleeve for a water bladder. So far I think F-stop is at the top of my list, havnt checked out Dakine yet but I will look at there stuff. Anyone that has made their own is there any sources for camera compartment style padding out there on the net?

sponsored links

2,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera back pack that doesnt scream rob me?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.