Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Interesting hearsay at Best Buy

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 16, 2012 16:12 |  #16

AFPhotoMKE wrote in post #13714684 (external link)
The reason he may have said that it was discontinued (whether it was or not I'm not sure) may have been because the general public isn't just content with I don't have it in stock/my other stores don't have it in stock.

That, then would be a bold-faced lie and that is not acceptable at all.

Even an honest "I don't know but I will try to find out for you if you'd like" is a far better answer to a customer than making up something.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2012 16:12 |  #17

mike_d wrote in post #13711267 (external link)
I wouldn't believe someone at Best Buy if he told me water was wet.

On TVs, they seem a bit better, but for -everything- else I completely agree.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:14 |  #18

S.Horton wrote in post #13714818 (external link)
On TVs, they seem a bit better, but for -everything- else I completely agree.

Next time I get a TV I'm getting it from Amazon. They seem to have the best prices.

Gear List

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:27 |  #19

kory wrote in post #13714793 (external link)
Big companies don't start out with a negative reputation. They earn it by the way they treat customers. I am sorry you have to deal with that but it is due to the business practices of BB that people treat you that way. Look at B&H and the feedback they get here on this site. People love them even though they are a big store. You can't blame the public for treating you how they do, in general people don't go into a store to argue with people but they do get irritated when not treated properly. Also I own a business and do not have many problems with my customers because we treat them well.

You and I both run a business doing what we do and I have a wonderful reputation with the people I work with. This goes the same for my customers at BB, company policy is to match any local competitors price as well as our online price, but we do run specific prices online from time to time that we don't match in store this is also clearly stated on our website by the online only tag that is put there. I can't speak for everyone in the company with these things and how certain individuals treat customers but overall in my store we tell customers the truth and we tell customers how our services work and how our coverage options work, now I can't stop someone from then later coming up with their own idea as to how these work and thinking that their way is correct and these are unfortunate instances. B&H on the other hand while I love shopping with them I also am relying on purchasing something based off of my own knowledge and research so I can't be upset if a product doesn't work how I thought it worked because of the proposed idea I had in my head when making said purchase. You really can't compare a (mostly) web based retailer with a (mostly) face to face based retailer as each experience is completely different.

Canon 6D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 28, 28mm 1.8, 580exII, 480ex, ommlite triggers (more like amazing for the price triggers):cool::cool:

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 16, 2012 16:29 |  #20

Numenorean wrote in post #13714820 (external link)
Next time I get a TV I'm getting it from Amazon. They seem to have the best prices.

I got my current TV on Amazon. They were around $150 less than BB with free shipping.

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:33 |  #21

Numenorean wrote in post #13714820 (external link)

Amazon may have the best prices but they also have 0 overhead when compared to a large retailer. Local retailers wouldn't have to charge as much if they were supported more by their communities but at the end of the day we still have to pay the bills.

Canon 6D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 28, 28mm 1.8, 580exII, 480ex, ommlite triggers (more like amazing for the price triggers):cool::cool:

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 16, 2012 16:36 |  #22

mike_d wrote in post #13714900 (external link)
I got my current TV on Amazon. They were around $150 less than BB with free shipping.

Sounds like your UPS guy didn't throw it over the fence! :rolleyes:

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:37 |  #23

SkipD wrote in post #13714817 (external link)
That, then would be a bold-faced lie and that is not acceptable at all.

Even an honest "I don't know but I will try to find out for you if you'd like" is a far better answer to a customer than making up something.

I completely agree with you, like I had said though as well I can't speak for that person, but I can speak for myself and for my team at my store.

es07ERIC
108 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 16, 2012 16:40 |  #24

I had a similar experience as the OP! I went in because I had one of those 12% off coupons given to reward zone members and decided to use it on a second 580EX II. The guy helping me was polite but told me the model is discontinued. I bought it anyway knowing better and got a decent deal on the flash. The employees must be seeing something on their inventory screens that indicates that they are being discontinued? Maybe they will no longer carry the 580EX II and only supply the 430EX II? Who knows?

5D Mark II | BG-E6 | 7D | BG-E7 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | 50 f/1.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | 600EX-RT x 2 | ST-E3-RT | 
Gear List & Feedback

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:41 |  #25

AFPhotoMKE wrote in post #13714928 (external link)
Amazon may have the best prices but they also have 0 overhead when compared to a large retailer. Local retailers wouldn't have to charge as much if they were supported more by their communities but at the end of the day we still have to pay the bills.

And I would support them more if they offered a service that was worth supporting. Since they don't, there you go.

Gear List

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:44 |  #26

Numenorean wrote in post #13714807 (external link)
Do you think water is wet?

BB is horrible. I had to harass people there just to get the price that is on their website in the store. Which is just ridiculous. Then they had that wonderful thing where their in-store computers would show a different website than you would get at home.

BB is one of the worst stores and I only grab something there if absolutely necessary. The vast majority of employees have no product knowledge either.

My experience with our BB has been similar. They feign ignorance on price matching even to their own website and only give in when you show them you're not some rube.

$87 for a Sandisk 16g CF card that could be bought for $47 many other places...like Amazon....they deserve the reputation they have earned,.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:47 |  #27

Numenorean wrote in post #13714987 (external link)
And I would support them more if they offered a service that was worth supporting. Since they don't, there you go.

for some people the services are worth supporting and for others they aren't but not everyone has the same skill set or know how when it comes to getting things done.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:49 |  #28

AFPhotoMKE wrote in post #13715024 (external link)
for some people the services are worth supporting and for others they aren't but not everyone has the same skill set or know how when it comes to getting things done.

And Best Buy preys on that. The amount of utterly incorrect babble that I've heard from their employees including the "Geek Squad" people while picking up an odd cable or CD-R's or something in the computer section - all just in order to bully someone into something they don't need or want - is just baffling.

Gear List

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:50 |  #29

av8r wrote in post #13715008 (external link)
My experience with our BB has been similar. They feign ignorance on price matching even to their own website and only give in when you show them you're not some rube.

$87 for a Sandisk 16g CF card that could be bought for $47 many other places...like Amazon....they deserve the reputation they have earned,.

must have missed my covering of price matching policies but I did go over that, also like I said before prices at Amazon are achieved through the lack of overhead...

AFPhotoMKE
46 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 16:53 |  #30

Numenorean wrote in post #13715041 (external link)
And Best Buy preys on that. The amount of utterly incorrect babble that I've heard from their employees including the "Geek Squad" people while picking up an odd cable or CD-R's or something in the computer section - all just in order to bully someone into something they don't need or want - is just baffling.

well I guess incorrect babble is a little vague but in most cases its not incorrrect, different cables do exist for different reasons, and different types of CD-R or +R or -RW or +RW exist for different reasons as well.

sponsored links

7,040 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interesting hearsay at Best Buy
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.