Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jan 2012 (Friday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do with your old cheapo lenses?

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 16, 2012 20:42 |  #31

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13716286 (external link)
Donate to a non-profit. Deductions are often be overstated a bit, making it worthwhile to do so, from a $ standpoint.

Pretty sure that's fraud...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2012 21:03 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #32

I had an old promaster teleconvertor. I took it apart, removed the glass, and put it back together. Now I have a free extention tube.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 16, 2012 21:05 |  #33

boufa wrote in post #13716582 (external link)
I had an old promaster teleconvertor. I took it apart, removed the glass, and put it back together. Now I have a free extention tube.

haha my dad did that back in the day with screw mount lenses...the TC was actually cheaper than the tube, so he just punched out the glass lol

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,627 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 17, 2012 01:11 |  #34

Mine sit in a box at my storage unit. They have no actual value - I have seen identical lenses on eBay for $5 "buy it now", and no one has bought them. I'd say that is valueless, at least from a financial standpoint. As I afore-mentioned, I could donate 'em to a non-profit . . . but I would likely misplace the paperwork and not be able to claim it anyway.

I do take 'em out and look at 'em once every couple years or so. Doing so brings back some fond, as well as some not-so-fond, memories of when I shot film.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 17, 2012 01:46 |  #35

Launch it at your noisey neighbours....

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,068 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2012 01:47 |  #36

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13717683 (external link)
Mine sit in a box at my storage unit. They have no actual value - I have seen identical lenses on eBay for $5 "buy it now", and no one has bought them. I'd say that is valueless, at least from a financial standpoint. As I afore-mentioned, I could donate 'em to a non-profit . . . but I would likely misplace the paperwork and not be able to claim it anyway.

I do take 'em out and look at 'em once every couple years or so. Doing so brings back some fond, as well as some not-so-fond, memories of when I shot film.

i don't know what ebay you're looking at...

35-70mm (external link)

100-300mm (external link)

that's like a solid $100...that's some value

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 17, 2012 02:05 |  #37

how old are we talking? i have a 55-250 that's collecting dust. i hate you canon for pulling that stupid discount in targets which pretty much drove the prices of used 55-250's down to nothing. just waiting for it to go back up a little bit so i can sell it.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

DreDaze
18,068 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2012 02:09 |  #38

nikesupremedunk wrote in post #13717804 (external link)
how old are we talking? i have a 55-250 that's collecting dust. i hate you canon for pulling that stupid discount in targets which pretty much drove the prices of used 55-250's down to nothing. just waiting for it to go back up a little bit so i can sell it.

i don't see why it'd start going back up....and what are we talking here...going from 140-175 even if it were to...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 17, 2012 07:04 |  #39

DreDaze wrote in post #13717778 (external link)
i don't know what ebay you're looking at...

35-70mm (external link)

100-300mm (external link)

that's like a solid $100...that's some value

I've looked at those for a while...they aren't moving. No one bids on them. So that appears to be only the value the owner has placed on them. I'd say they would possibly fetch about 1/2 of that.

DreDaze
18,068 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2012 09:46 |  #40

kristin6 wrote in post #13718454 (external link)
I've looked at those for a while...they aren't moving. No one bids on them. So that appears to be only the value the owner has placed on them. I'd say they would possibly fetch about 1/2 of that.

those are completed listing prices...that's how much they sold for the green are usually the ones to look at...the red is where the owner placed too high of a starting bid typically, and they didn't sell...green is how much you could sell yours for...as long as you can do an interesting enough listing

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do with your old cheapo lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.