Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Jan 2012 (Monday) 18:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best software for post processing

smjbh5
92 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 16, 2012 18:25 |  #1

I've been shooting in jpeg ever since I got my dslr because I've never had the time to mess around with the images. I also have a Rebel XT, so there's very little in terms of in camera processing. I'm going to make time to do some post processing.

What software works best for beginners? My main lens is the 15-85. Lightroom any good? The reason I ask is because I can get it for next to free:)

sponsored links
cheezerman
55 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 16, 2012 19:35 |  #2

If you can get lightroom for next to free, do it. It's arguably the best software for photo processing unless you are doing advanced edits or processing.

Edit: Try out the trial (external link) before you buy.

EOS 10D - Still Kicking!
50 f/1.8 ii
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/4L

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2012 20:18 |  #3

If you're using an Apple, I highly recommend iPhoto. It's ridiculously easy to learn and use, but surprisingly effective. Maybe they even make if for PC?

One thing to keep in mind, and that is that you probably want a program that does all non-destructive edits. Photoshop does only destructive edits, and for that reason I won't use it for any purpose. LR does non-destructive edits.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 20:21 |  #4

lightroom is great so long as you dont need to do any real editing. photoshop is the defacto standard, even photoshop element would be enough for most people.

if you are just just going to be dealing with global image adjustments and no need to layers or many spot edits, lightroom is the way to go, otherwise photoshop or some other editor is in order.

95% of the time i just use lightroom, but there are those times when i need to dodge and burn and add some eye pop or do some sort of mask editing that i need photoshop for.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 20:22 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13716301 (external link)
Photoshop does only destructive edits, and for that reason I won't use it for any purpose. LR does non-destructive edits.

photoshop does non destructive edits.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,355 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2012 20:23 |  #6

mike_311 wrote in post #13716319 (external link)
photoshop does non destructive edits.

Not really. You can use it non-destructivy, but you have to be carefull. If you edit tiff/jpeg and save it as the same name, the orriginal is gone. ARC does non-destructive edits.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 16, 2012 20:29 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #13716326 (external link)
Not really. You can use it non-destructivy, but you have to be carefull. If you edit tiff/jpeg and save it as the same name, the orriginal is gone. ARC does non-destructive edits.

well that goes without saying. however if you work in raw your raw gets saved to a tiff and you just work on that leaving your raw intact.

even if you edit in photoshop launched from lightroom, lightroom makes a copy.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 16, 2012 21:14 |  #8

mike_311 wrote in post #13716313 (external link)
lightroom is great so long as you dont need to do any real editing. photoshop is the defacto standard, even photoshop element would be enough for most people.

if you are just just going to be dealing with global image adjustments and no need to layers or many spot edits, lightroom is the way to go, otherwise photoshop or some other editor is in order.

95% of the time i just use lightroom, but there are those times when i need to dodge and burn and add some eye pop or do some sort of mask editing that i need photoshop for.

LR is capable of several different types of "spot edits" (local adjustments); Exposure (dodge/burn), Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Clarity, Sharpness, Skin Smoothing, etc. It can also apply graduated filters and do healing/spot removal. LR Beta 4 also added a local noise reduction brush. No, LR can't do layer masks or pixel-level editing, can't apply text as creatively or do many other effects that PS can do, but for basic post-processing I find LR far easier/quicker than Photoshop. I also like LR's organization/catalogin​g features far better than Adobe Bridge.

If the OP intends to do basic post-processing (cropping/straightenin​g, adjusting color/contrast/curves, sharpening, etc.), then LR would work fine. If he intends to add effects, design photo posters, merge multiple shots, create panoramas, etc., then PS would be the better package since LR can't do any of those things.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 16, 2012 21:20 |  #9

Depending on what type of editing you're talking about, Canon's Digital Photo Professional might be sufficient. That's all I use and given that you're looking for something for a beginner, I'd start there - especially since it's free.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

SylvesterPotter
673 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 16, 2012 22:53 |  #10

to be honest...if you are talking about photo edits and not adding fake stuff to your photos then I really think Apple aperture three is great...I know lots of published photographers and sport photographers that use it, and we all think it is WAY more powerful than photoshop and lightroom....you edit right on the raw picture WITHOUT layers...it's still non destructive...all you have to do is uncheck any edit you don't like, and if you want layers...perfect layers plugin will help with that too...it has become my go to program because I don't need layers to edit the photos, and because I can choose to use layers if need be. I do lots of work for GERBER and the post is MUCH MUCH faster and better than photoshop...I feel the RAW image processing in Aperture3 to be better.

www.SylvesterPotter.co​m (external link)

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 16, 2012 23:02 |  #11

What's wrong with DPP?

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 16, 2012 23:19 as a reply to  @ Waldemar Sikorski's post |  #12

Lightroom is great and very easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's main strength is it is very good at managing your photos and edits are nondestructive.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 17, 2012 02:33 |  #13

I've got a Mac and have been using PhotoShop, but have just got Aperture and will be using that pretty much from now on.
It's an amazing program - and so easy to use.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2012 03:14 |  #14

Waldemar Sikorski wrote in post #13717222 (external link)
What's wrong with DPP?

Yeah like he said.

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 17, 2012 03:34 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13716301 (external link)
Photoshop does only destructive edits, and for that reason I won't use it for any purpose. LR does non-destructive edits.

You can "place" raw files in photoshop and it will then give you most (maybe all) of lightrooms non distructive editing abilitys via camera raw.

in addition to this PS has filters/layers/Adjustm​ent layers, which LR does not have, and most of those can be used non destructively too.

There are more hoops to jump though with PS, but its a more powerfull app.

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links

9,190 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best software for post processing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.