Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Jan 2012 (Monday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you were ever on the fence about a 50mm 1.8, maybe this site can cange your mind

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 17, 2012 15:38 |  #61

Fligi7 wrote in post #13720734 (external link)
I hear that a lot but how many people's lenses have actually fallen apart on them from normal, or even above normal usage? It sounds a lot more like internet scaremongering that has progressed a bit out of control.

my 50mm 1.8 has been working fine for over three years. One problem is that the nifty fifty is so small and lightweight that people carry them in their back pocket and sometimes they fall out. or it could be internet (POTN) scare mongering

sponsored links
LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 17, 2012 16:05 |  #62

I doubt the failure rate for the 1.8 is much higher than other lenses. Because it has decent IQ and is so cheap it probably outsells all the other primes combined. We hear about them breaking more often simply because there's so many more people using it.

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 17, 2012 16:15 |  #63

I doubt they break much under normal use, but there is no question the build quality is poor.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2012 16:17 as a reply to  @ LudaChris's post |  #64

Truth be told, the photos other people have taken with any particular lens don't play a huge factor in my decision to purchase it or not. There are better photographers than me who could take magical images with a toilet paper roll and two magnifying glasses, and there are worse photographers who (to put it mildly) don't make for good examples of what a lens is (or isn't) capable of. Looking at a flickr stream is a better representation of the varying skill levels of photographers than it is of a lens' true strengths and weaknesses.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 17, 2012 16:27 |  #65

Veemac wrote in post #13721166 (external link)
Truth be told, the photos other people have taken with any particular lens don't play a huge factor in my decision to purchase it or not. There are better photographers than me who could take magical images with a toilet paper roll and two magnifying glasses, and there are worse photographers who (to put it mildly) don't make for good examples of what a lens is (or isn't) capable of. Looking at a flickr stream is a better representation of the varying skill levels of photographers than it is of a lens' true strengths and weaknesses.

This is completely true. Seeing what a huge number of people can do with a lens doesn't tell me much about what I will do with it. I'll be better than some of them, worse than others.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 17, 2012 16:37 |  #66

DreDaze wrote in post #13714617 (external link)
just out of curiosity...how do you know what lens he used?

That is what I was trying to figure out. But honestly, people need to spot looking at what gear was used and more at the technique. I realize that sometimes you need to see the gear. Just saying.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,240 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2012 17:44 |  #67

AbPho wrote in post #13721324 (external link)
That is what I was trying to figure out. But honestly, people need to spot looking at what gear was used and more at the technique. I realize that sometimes you need to see the gear. Just saying.

if you keep reading you'll see most of them are in fact shot with the 17-55IS...

i think it's funny those that didn't catch that and continue to talk about not being impressed by the shots, and saying well it's a $100 lens, what do you expect :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 17, 2012 17:46 |  #68

:lol:

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

ian_socool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,830 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 17, 2012 18:02 |  #69

OK, I just got one for $95.00. Maybe I am not used to real expensive or titanium built lenses, but this 1.8 is not as "plastic" as most people criticize it to be. And yes, the AF is noisy, but not noisier than any point and shoot camera.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

And yes, under low light it does hunt. But when it locks in, it locks in. In the low light I switched to Manual immediately and BAM! (a very ghetto attempt at full time manual focus that in the 10 shots I took seemed effective). Here is a sample I just took of my daughters foot
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2012 23:06 |  #70

DreDaze wrote in post #13721662 (external link)
...i think it's funny those that didn't catch that and continue to talk about not being impressed by the shots, and saying well it's a $100 lens, what do you expect :)

Just goes to show ya......

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

sponsored links

6,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you were ever on the fence about a 50mm 1.8, maybe this site can cange your mind
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.