Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jan 2012 (Monday) 11:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens protection filter; Yes or No?

timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 17, 2012 10:41 |  #16

Plumtreelad wrote in post #13718031 (external link)
I have looked through earlier threads and I do not see a 50 50 split. I have assessed it as 70% - no lens cover and 30% - lens cover. This is backed up by the very small sample here (4!) that shows almost everyone saying no lens cover

Well, I didn't explicitly vote for using them. As long as you get good ones, then there is no reason not to use a filter to protect the front element. I also use hoods to cut down on flare.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

sponsored links
bamatt
440 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 17, 2012 12:19 as a reply to  @ post 13718465 |  #17

My 17-55 didn't come with a hood, and neither did the 10-22 I just ordered. Pfft...

60D / 10-22 / 24L II / 70-200 2.8L II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2012 13:24 |  #18

bamatt wrote in post #13719781 (external link)
My 17-55 didn't come with a hood, and neither did the 10-22 I just ordered. Pfft...

Canon consumer lenses don't come with hoods, you have to order them separately. "L" lenses do come with hoods.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2012 14:00 |  #19

tonylong wrote in post #13720147 (external link)
Canon Consumer lenses don't come with hoods, you have to order them separately. "L" lenses do come with hoods.

Fixed that for you, Tony. :D Both my "consumer" Sigma lenses came with hoods, and I believe Tamron includes them also.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2012 14:06 |  #20

Veemac wrote in post #13720328 (external link)
Fixed that for you, Tony. :D Both my "consumer" Sigma lenses came with hoods, and I believe Tamron includes them also.

Ah, OK, good info -- my only lenses are Canon. I'll change that in my post:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

reneefk
217 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 17, 2012 14:39 |  #21

The more threads I read...the more things I find out I need. Or just want, that I didn't know existed before. This is starting to become a very pricey hobby!

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 17, 2012 16:11 as a reply to  @ reneefk's post |  #22

Just found this article that you may find interesting to read on the subject of lens filters versus lens hoods. It makes a very strong argument for not using a lens filter except in extreme situations.
www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/​sm-feb-05.shtml (external link)

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

iresq
21 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 17, 2012 16:44 |  #23

It's definitely a carry over from film. I don't think I have scene a used lens ad that did not include the ubiquitous "it's had a UV filter on it since day one" description.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2012 16:49 |  #24

Plumtreelad wrote in post #13721123 (external link)
Just found this article that you may find interesting to read on the subject of lens filters versus lens hoods. It makes a very strong argument for not using a lens filter except in extreme situations.
www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/​sm-feb-05.shtml (external link)

That article has some very good points and info -- worth reading whether you use a filter or not!

It's funny, because the subject of flare/glare comes up once in a while here, somebody posting a shot and wondering why this is happening. One of the first things asked is whether a filter was used, and often the answer is "Yes".

It's true that you can see some flaring at times without a filter, but it's definitely true that filters are often to blame!

Interesting info also on the filter that has the "moisture-resistant" coating, not in the sense of making it "waterproof" but at least easier to deal with in rainy weather!

Tony

juggy4805
230 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2012 13:49 |  #25

I started with using filters but switched to lens hoods only. I was getting flare spots and reflections when shooting at night. Lens hoods actually work really good as long as the design is good. The design of the canon 85mm 1.8 lens hood sucks to me.

flickr (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 18, 2012 13:57 |  #26

'Protection' facts and myths:

• A filter can prevent drool-laden toddler fingers from touching the front element
  • A filter can prevent salt spray from touching the front element
  • A filter can prevent blown sand from touching the front element
  • A filter cannot inherently prevent impact damage, such as from smacking into a wall...I had a lens damage its zoom mechanism so badly that I could not use the WA part of the zoom range, even though the filter looked totally unscathed from the impact!

• A hood can prevent the sun from causing flare when its rays strike the front surface of the lens.
  • A hood can prevent some impact damage by absorbing the force and breaking (or getting bumped off)
  • ...but there are also threads on POTN which also show that a hood served as a lever arm to break lenses in half even with minor drop (like from the car seat to the car floor)

The moral is, Use a filter or a hood for what it was primarily invented for...a filter is intended for optical modification, a hood is intended for prevention of flare. Any other 'benefit' is purely circumstantial.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens protection filter; Yes or No?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.