Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a Nice Set of "Cans"

ItsMike
Goldmember
2,185 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 15, 2012 12:38 |  #1

Headphones that is..

I hate earbuds and I am looking for a nice set to watch movies, listen to music, and that have a great sound..

I have been reading reviews on Amazon and I am finally blue in the face..

I narrowed it down to the following

Sony MDR-XD200
Sennheiser HD201
Sennheiser HD448

If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear about it.. I just want to buy them once..

Gear

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2012 14:03 |  #2

Mike:

My lovely wife bought me what I consider a GREAT pair of headphones for Xmas. They are Sony MDR-V6. She did a lot of research and they rated out really well on professional reviews and customer user reviews. I'll vouch for 'em as well. WOW!!!

What I like about them is I travel for work and am a magnet for 14-month-old screaming babies on flights. Plug headphones into IPod, problem solved. I think they're not the noise cancelling kind but you literally can't hear what I'm listening to, (noise bleed from phones themselves) from 12" away unless you really listen.

They fold down, nice carrying pouch and can fit them inside my laptop bag or normal carry-on for easy access. They are full-size.

First headphones I've owned since my recording days (musician) and they are definitely great. And I'm picky as hell!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 16, 2012 11:30 |  #3

ItsMike wrote in post #13708336 (external link)
Headphones that is..

I hate earbuds and I am looking for a nice set to watch movies, listen to music, and that have a great sound..

I have been reading reviews on Amazon and I am finally blue in the face..

I narrowed it down to the following

Sony MDR-XD200
Sennheiser HD201
Sennheiser HD448

If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear about it.. I just want to buy them once..

Just bought a set of Sennheiser HD380 cans - they are awesome. Closed so cuts down a huge amount of ambient noise. Whats makes them even better is that they are foldable so they fit into a small case as well.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2012 17:14 |  #4

What's your budget? Where are you going to be using them most (home/travel/commuting​)?

I'm personally a big fan of Sennheisers and would recommend the HD448 out of your options.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 17, 2012 20:03 |  #5

Grado is a very respected source for headphones as well.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 18, 2012 21:09 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #6

I've been considering something better than even my son's Bose earbuds. Would using larger headphones as suggested have any extra drain on the player? (ipod, mp3 player)

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 19, 2012 00:10 |  #7

Look up the specs on the headphones; they should usually list an impedance in ohms. The higher the impedance, the more power needed to run them. I believe that for portable players, you should use headphones with 32 ohms or less.

They won't have any more drain on the player itself, but volumes won't be as loud with higher impedances. For example, the headphones I use with my Zune are rated for 32 ohms, but the ones I use at home with an amplifier are rated at 300 ohms.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MrsWaffles
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2012 05:44 as a reply to  @ equach206's post |  #8

A audio technica m50 is the best sub 150$ I think there is for a closed can design that is easily powered off a iPod.

But look into high-fi dot org and read around. Learnt a ton from them in just two days of research.

sponsored links

1,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a Nice Set of "Cans"
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.