Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 22:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens front element cleaning..

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 15, 2012 22:47 |  #1

I searched and did not find anything in here, or in general....if there is a FAQ or thread already, let me know.

..If not, what are your techniques for cleaning dust and or minor fingerprints or smudges on the front element?

I tried a combination of my rocket dust pump, alcohol, distilled water and cotton swabs and it still seemed to leave a haze of some sort in one place or another, and it moved when I tried to wipe it off, to another part of the lens.

Any suggestions on a technique, cleaning solution, kit, or cloth I can snag to wipe off the typical dust or raindrops at the end of the day would be great to know.

I've heard of microfiber cloths however I would have to buy a pack of them as theres no way I would use one more than once, so something small would be good.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

sponsored links
StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2012 23:03 |  #2

Steel wool and WD-40. ;)

Just kidding. Try a Lenspen - they're very effective, and definitely small.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,517 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 15, 2012 23:05 |  #3

I have some alcohol based wipes that are good at getting things like finger prints off. After all the alcohol have evaporated, I finish with a micro fiber cloth. Why can't you use a cloth more than once?

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 15, 2012 23:22 |  #4

I wouldn't say you CAN'T use a MF towel more than once. But, it's pretty easy for stuff to get imbedded in one. And then, you wouldn't want to reuse it. But, MF cloths clean really well. . . With nothing more than a single drop of water.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

Canonised
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2012 00:10 as a reply to  @ lvph2's post |  #5

You need lens cleaning tissue. This is not the normal tissue but lint free tissue.
It absorbs oils and does not scratch the elements like normal tissue will. You need to visit your local photostore to get the correct one. They usually come in a pack and not cheap. Use once and dispose. One with cleaning fluid and second to remove and dry the lens.

Here is the page I thought you should look at: http://mansurovs.com …o-clean-slr-camera-lenses (external link)

CANONISED (aka Horolographer)
GEAR LIST
INSTAGRAM - http://instagram.com/h​arrytanphotography (external link)
Horolography blog - http://watchinghorolog​y.com (external link)
Photography blog - http://harrytanphotogr​aphy.com/ (external link)

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2012 00:23 |  #6

Blower, soft brush then a lens pen in circular motions from centre to the outside always works for me. If stubborn stains I mist the lens with breath before the lens pen.

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

JTX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 17, 2012 10:40 |  #7

Thanks for the pointers guys.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

mondayshift
Goldmember
2,301 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 17, 2012 10:48 |  #8

mrrikki wrote in post #13711426 (external link)
Blower, soft brush then a lens pen in circular motions from centre to the outside always works for me. If stubborn stains I mist the lens with breath before the lens pen.

this is my cleaning plan too, i just make sure my breath is minty fresh before hand. :D

“Sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.”
- Jake the Dog -
flickr (external link)

hotmars
29 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 17, 2012 11:09 |  #9

mrrikki wrote in post #13711426 (external link)

Exactly what i do for my lenses!

10D | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye |Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 50 1.8 | 70-200 f/4L

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 17, 2012 12:55 |  #10

I've published this here once or twice before :rolleyes:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A squeeze-bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower by Giottos, quality lens tissue (such as that sold by Kodak and now Tiffen), a good lens cleaning fluid, and PROPER TECHNIQUE is the way that I have cleaned my lenses for decades.

What is "proper technique"?

First - the goal is to clean the lens (or filter - I would use the very same process) without grinding any dirt/debris into the lens. To me, this absolutely dictates single-use surfaces for anything that touches the lens. That's why I use lens tissues instead of a washable cloth or - particularly - something like a lens pen.

Here are the steps that I use to clean a lens:

1. Use a squeeze-bulb blower to blow any loose dust off the lens. 90% of the time, step 1 is all that is necessary.

2. Take a lens tissue out of the pack. Fold it once, holding only what was the ends of the tissue. You want to be extremely careful to NEVER TOUCH the areas of the lens tissue that will be touching the lens. This will avoid transferring oils from your fingers to the lens.

3. Moisten the folded portion of the lens tissue with a little lens cleaner. You don't want the tissue dripping wet, but it must be damp.

CAUTION: NEVER apply lens cleaner directly to the lens (though it won’t hurt a filter, you don’t want liquid leaking into the lens’ innards).

4. Wipe LIGHTLY across the lens ONCE with the damp tissue. Then either turn it over or fold it so that you can wipe again, but with an unused surface. You can do this as often as needed, as long as you never wipe the lens twice with any surface of the tissue. This prevents scratches. Again, make sure you never touch an area of the tissue that will touch the lens.

5. Ensuring that the lens is actually clean, use a dry tissue, handled the same way as above, to wipe the lens dry. Since you have already removed the dirt, there's no risk of scratching the lens with the dry tissue.

6. Dispose of the used lens tissues in a proper trash receptacle.

That's it in a nutshell. Simple and effective. I've been cleaning my lenses this way for over 40 years, and all of them have pristine glass (and none have ever worn "protective" filters).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 17, 2012 15:42 |  #11

I first use a blower then follow that with lens cleaning solution on lens tissue paper or a micro-fibre cloth.

In the field I have fogged up the front lens element with my breath. Then used lens tissue paper or a micro-fibre cloth.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

SamuelYCWang
280 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 17, 2012 20:48 |  #12

I just throw it in the tub and use Ivory soap. lol! Kidding...

Like what many already said, I use the lenspen.

Canon 5D MK III
EF 17-40 f/4L USM
ER 50 f/1.2L USM
EF 24-70 7/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,524 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2012 22:11 |  #13

breath + t-shirt, repeat if necessary. And it also works on the rear element!

It's worked for me for about 40 years.

Bob Palermini
R6, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200L IS 2.8, 100-400L II, 400L 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 17, 2012 22:30 |  #14

bpalermini wrote in post #13723180 (external link)

+1

Me two! :D

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 17, 2012 22:42 |  #15

bpalermini wrote in post #13723180 (external link)

This.

Sometimes people make things overly complicated.

sponsored links

5,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens front element cleaning..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.