Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2012 (Thursday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

taking pictures of people at tables

khilborn
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 20:51 |  #1

I am taking pictures for a friend at her wedding anniversary party. This will be my first time at this kind of event. I was wondering what is the best way to take a picture of people at a large round table? There will be 13 round tables filled with people eating...Some have their backs to you....they can turn around, but just thought I'd ask... do you take partial pics at different sides or the entire table? Any suggestions?

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 12, 2012 20:59 |  #2

Take the photos before the meal, or between courses. Don't try to get the whole table, it makes for a really boring photo. Get each couple, family group, or whatever groupings you or they like. I just walk up to a table and say i'm taking photos of couples or groups, who'd like their photo taken.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 21:04 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

great suggestions, Thanks!

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 12, 2012 21:10 |  #4

it is very common in Chinese wedding.

What i normal do on top of the above mentioned,
1. Take multiple shots as people's eyes may be close. I rise my hand and say "ok, look here, 1.2....3"." or something along that. make sure that when i shoot, i am the only 1 having all their attention. if uncle bob is next to me, i let him shoot first. if not, u get half the people looking elsewhere.

2. Things to note is. NONE of the people are block by the table centrepiece, flowers etc. NONE of their faces are block. If there is a tall centre piece, move to the side. Oh, i get half of the table to move and stand behind the other half. I make them squeeze tight together. Add a flash if needed to bring the shutter speed up. point it upward and bounce it.

3. Cautious if wide angle lens is used. Distortion at the side mau occur and people dont look gd distorted.

cheers,

Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 12, 2012 21:44 |  #5

Yup, get a few people at a time and not the whole table.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 13, 2012 07:28 |  #6

Me, too. I avoid "table shots" unless specifically requested. There's really nothing appealing about them.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 13, 2012 15:24 |  #7

Same here. Table shots are not what we want to portray. During slow periods of the reception, we will go around and get couples and small groups.

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2012 10:43 as a reply to  @ rincon's post |  #8

Definitely take the shots before the dinner, preferably before the couple get announced. You can shoot whole table if the people you are about to shoot are great mood and cooperate to do something else other than just sitting, other wise, yes it will be a boring shot. Don't ask older ladies and gentleman to stand up and do crazy stuff :)

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2012 17:05 |  #9

I take the entire table as that is often what clients what - but do not ever take a photo with the whole table sitting down. Force half the table to go stand behind the other half. Generally the oldies should stay seated.

Also avoid too much white tablecloth in the frame otherwise you will underexpose 1-2 stops

Never take a photo with all people seated and facing you. Terrible, terrible, terrible

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 16, 2012 06:24 |  #10

smorter wrote in post #13709438 (external link)
Force half the table . . .

This is why I don't do this.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 16, 2012 07:02 |  #11

Peacefield I agree it's a pain but my style is about documentary photography - I want to capture the wedding and all its participants. Unfortunately and fortunately - table shots may be the only chance someone is in a photo at all. Although it is a massive pain, I do it so that at least everyone gets 1 shot of themselves.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2012 19:29 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #12

You can always climb on your assistant's shoulder and take the shot from up there if the table shots are so important and you want to have something unique ! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Table shots, for me, only if the client is asking......

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 18, 2012 01:31 |  #13

tim wrote in post #13695543 (external link)
Take the photos before the meal, or between courses. Don't try to get the whole table, it makes for a really boring photo. Get each couple, family group, or whatever groupings you or they like. I just walk up to a table and say i'm taking photos of couples or groups, who'd like their photo taken.

This is spot on. If you are fortunate to have round tables shoot couples form the opposite side as they face inwards. Least amount of disruption as time is against you.

Sometimes you can't get directly opposite a couple so F4 is the minimum you want to work with.

You don't need them to stand up either as because you are taking the shot top down double chins are reduced to a minimum and it's more flattering.

Chris Giles Photography

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 18, 2012 05:03 |  #14

Whenever I am asked to take table shots I do the same as Smorter, I get half the table to stand behind the other half, get the young people to move and the oldies to stay where they are as much as possible.

Nobody really minds when you explain the B&G want these pictures to remember the day.

I usually take couple shots as well if there's time.

A few times I have also done fisheye shots of the whole table from above like the one below which some B&G's like, its not the most flattering angle though.

Old pic

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

khilborn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 20, 2012 13:15 |  #15

thanks everyone for your suggestions. The event went very well for my first time. Table shots are boring to take, but I did follow some suggestions to take couple shots from across the table... I think they turned out great and intimate instead of a large table where you couldn't really see faces up close anyway. Thanks again!

sponsored links

2,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
taking pictures of people at tables
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.