Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Strato or Yongnuo rf 602 or ?

mtuepker
230 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 17, 2012 08:13 |  #1

The local shop (National Camera) carries Phottix Strato triggers. They sell them for about the same price as you can find them online for, and a few extra bucks is worth it to me to support the local place. My question is what would make the stratos better than the Yongnuo's or iShoots that you can get for 1/3 the price?

Thanks for any input!

Camera, lens, lens, lens lens, lens, flash.

sponsored links
J.Doe
183 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 17, 2012 10:18 |  #2

No comment on your question as I'm not in the position of making such an A/B comparison but,if I'm allowed,I'll throw in another product,the Aputure Trigmaster Plus.Same origin,good reviews.
Cheers,

60D,MKIIn,Ds MKIII __EF 50 f/1.4,EF 100 f/2.8 macro,EF 135 f/2.0L,EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,EF 70-200 f/2.8L,Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USD ,EF 2xII TC__Marumi clear glass,UV,ND & CPL__ Kata bags__Speedlite 580EX & Metz 58 AF-2 w/Eneloops__ Sandisk __Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT & TRACKER AP-364 w/SBH-300's

mtuepker
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 17, 2012 10:55 |  #3

I guess my question should be brand/product specific. More what I am interested in the "mid tier" level of flash triggers. There are pocket wizards at one end and stuff like the cowboystudio stuff at the other. I am just wondering where the mid price fits in usage/feature wise.

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 17, 2012 18:30 as a reply to  @ mtuepker's post |  #4

The Strato II's are pretty much the best option I've found so far. They have the built quality others lack as well as all the refinements which should have come to all the triggers after the 602's but are missing in one way or another on most.

I wrote a few comments on the Strato recently here -
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=13667014&po​stcount=15

The RF-602 where the first good "ebay triggers" (actually great is better description), but they have their weak points still. The later RF-603 (and others) introduced new weak points, so to me at this stage either bargain price 602's or just going straight to the Stratos makes the most sense.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 18, 2012 06:54 |  #5

elv wrote in post #13721893 (external link)
The Strato II's are pretty much the best option I've found so far. They have the built quality others lack as well as all the refinements which should have come to all the triggers after the 602's but are missing in one way or another on most.

I wrote a few comments on the Strato recently here -
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=13667014&po​stcount=15

The RF-602 where the first good "ebay triggers" (actually great is better description), but they have their weak points still. The later RF-603 (and others) introduced new weak points, so to me at this stage either bargain price 602's or just going straight to the Stratos makes the most sense.

What do feel are the "new" weak points? Just curious as I have 603's and have not experienced any problems with them.

Tim
Equipment

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 18, 2012 09:17 as a reply to  @ Tim S's post |  #6

Hi Tim,

They didn't fix some basic issues to start with like no locking ring on the TX (particularly now it has a pass thru hotshoe that is a complete joke), but also the on/off switch still can't be used with a flash in place, still 12volt max trigger voltage.

But because they are now transceivers there's a hotshoe on the recievers as well so mounting directly via a threaded brass stud is not possible anymore, the test fire button doesn't work off camera (for lightmeter use), the sync speed has gone down (and the 602's were not great to start with, Strato & V5's etc better). They won't work on non dedicated cameras (Canon/Nikon) at all due to the self switching transceivers. No all channels option like the 602's. 602's are also smaller (and cheaper). No backward compatibility with anything.

They did obviously fix things like all AAA batteries and 2.5mm sockets, and the main advantage is you can fire a shutter and flash at the same time with one TX. Also possible back up Tx being transceivers.

Given all that I don't really have a preference as to which is better, but the the 602's are cheaper so that kind of makes sense if your looking for cheap and good.

When it comes to spending more, to me the Strato II are the standout, there's ok options from Cactus and Pixel etc but you may as well just spring for the Stratos when looking for something that has made all the refinements and is built well.

Hopefully they will make a cheaper version without the extra features like groups and pass thru TTL shoe, but still a simple solid convenient unit with the common sense refinements of the Strato.

Bagman
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2012 12:23 |  #7

For what it is worth, I am quite content thus far with my Starto set (not the Strato II). The only thing I wish it had of the II's was the locking mechanism on both components, instead of just the transmitter.

EOS 70D | Canon 70-200mm F4L IS | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II | 430EX II | Lowepro Nova 170AW & Slingshot 202AW

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 18, 2012 13:05 |  #8

elv, thanks for the reply. I agree on the locking foot, that seems to me something that should have been a no-brainer. For me, the lack of a 1/4-20 mount isn't a big deal. A nice cold shoe like FlashZebra sells is cheap and solves the off camera mount/no locking foot problem. On-camera with a flash mounted on them is a BIG problem. I dont use mine like that but again it should have been dealt with. On/Off switch while not real handy hasn't been an issue for me either. Turn it on before mounting the flash. I have had them on for a three hour shoot and had zero problems.

What is/was the sync speed of the 602's? I get 1/200 with my 50D and the 603's.

Tim
Equipment

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 18, 2012 14:46 as a reply to  @ Tim S's post |  #9

I get 1/250 with my 50D and the 602's

Richard
Gear

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 18, 2012 20:04 |  #10

Tim S wrote in post #13726256 (external link)

Yes, you can probably get 1/250th sometimes too but they eventually fall back to 1/200th or less sometimes.

The Strato will get 1/250th all the time though.

If you go past the x-sync like this you can see a little more of where they are really at -

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4141/4885002992_b8c67fc1a3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/15168416@N00/4​885002992/  (external link)

The Pixel Soldiers shown are very fast but the Strato are not far behind.

This is best case scenario though the RF-602/3 have no buffer room so they will eventually fall back to around 1/200th to maintain a clean frame.

But the other way to see is cameras with an electronic shutter, the Stratos (and Soldiers) are up around 1/1200th while the RF-602 are around 1/800th and the 603's are falling lower again around 1/600th.

All this means in practical use with a 50D is you will likely start to see banding even at 1/200th at some times.

I'm not saying the 603's are a major problem in any way, just that they have their + and - compared to the 602's when they could have been an upgrade to a number of obvious issues.

Where as the Strato have looked at all the current issues and removed them (while adding more features). Pixel have refined too but they are still more "handle with care" quality.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 19, 2012 07:14 |  #11

Stratos2 run on AAA, have 4 groups and ETTL pass through.

http://flashraw.com …ti-wireless-flash-trigger (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

mtuepker
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 19, 2012 07:25 |  #12

I went ahead and picked up the Stratos II and while having nothing to compare them to, I am pleased w/ them as triggers.

David ­ C
98 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2012 00:04 |  #13

mtuepker, you made a wise choice. I picked up one transmitter and three receivers a couple of weeks ago. If they continue to satisfy me into spring I will get another transmitter set.

mtuepker
THREAD ­ STARTER
230 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 20, 2012 03:47 |  #14

I actually picked up another receiver already, Im a big fan of the bush button groups on the transmitter.

sponsored links

3,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Strato or Yongnuo rf 602 or ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.