Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 00:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what has photography given back to you

Glen ­ L
108 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 17, 2012 16:01 as a reply to  @ post 13720672 |  #16

Kept me from looting and burning down villages:mrgreen:

Sales @ Henrys Photo.
Gear: Canon 1D MarkIII, Olympus EM-5. Lenses: EF50 f1.8 EF 24-70 f2.8L, EF70-200 f2.8 IS, EF300 f2.8 IS. 1.4-2X extenders. Oly 12mm f2, Panasonic 25 1.4, Oly 45 1.8, Oly 12-50mm, Canon FD 100 f4 Macro C/W 50U EXT Tube,

sponsored links
outtamymind
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 17, 2012 19:50 |  #17

holy, go to work for a day and come back to a page worth of responses.

its good to see that photography has such a positive impact on others lifes as it has on mine.

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,247 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 17, 2012 20:01 as a reply to  @ outtamymind's post |  #18

The people I have met and photographed, celebs, mayors, governors, senators, congressmen, fellow veterans, some of the most skilled surgeons on the planet. The places it has taken me from shoots from Malibu to Cape Cod and into open heart surgery and micro nuero-surgery. My professional work has given me a base where my personal work and entire way of life has and is possible. It has shown me things about people and myself that I would have never seen any other way. I have made some very dear lifelong friends because of it. Photography has given me a much richer life because it is in my life.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 17, 2012 20:07 |  #19

airfrogusmc wrote in post #13722405 (external link)
The people I have met and photographed, celebs, mayors, governors, senators, congressmen, fellow veterans, some of the most skilled surgeons on the planet. The places it has taken me from shoots from Malibu to Cape Cod and into open heart surgery and micro nuero-surgery. My professional work has given me a base where my personal work and entire way of life has and is possible. It has shown me things about people and myself that I would have never seen any other way. I have made some very dear lifelong friends because of it. Photography has given me a much richer life because it is in my life.

We really need a *LIKE* button... :D

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2012 20:23 |  #20

Photography has formed lifelong friends, and made me closer to my family. It has allowed me to help others capture lifes most important moments. It has caused heartache, made me weep with both happiness and sadness. The joy of creating an image that will last well past my passing is somehow comforting. I have photographed, babies, then their sweet 16, then their weddings and the first born, of several families.

I have traveled to other countries, or shot just down the street. I have formed a client list that I will always be proud of. I have been blessed with judging at several camera clubs. I was just invited to judge and entire show. But my love for personal work is anything with wings.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2012 23:26 |  #21

16 dollars

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 18, 2012 06:37 |  #22

Stomach troubles is what it has given me!

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2012 06:46 |  #23

The ability to slow down and really watch; to see how light changes our perception of things.

Also, it's kept me sane on more than one occasion when I've been away from my family for extended periods of time.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 18, 2012 08:23 |  #24

LBaldwin wrote in post #13722556 (external link)
Photography has formed lifelong friends, and made me closer to my family. It has allowed me to help others capture lifes most important moments. It has caused heartache, made me weep with both happiness and sadness. The joy of creating an image that will last well past my passing is somehow comforting. I have photographed, babies, then their sweet 16, then their weddings and the first born, of several families.

I have traveled to other countries, or shot just down the street. I have formed a client list that I will always be proud of. I have been blessed with judging at several camera clubs. I was just invited to judge and entire show. But my love for personal work is anything with wings.

Good one, Les!
Except for "blessed with judging", which for me would be "Cursed with judging", I could add that it's given me a house, several cars, & a somewhat indolent lifestyle punctuated with the occasional adrenaline rush! ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 18, 2012 13:46 |  #25

My photography has probably netted me about 500 "online friends" on facebook that I otherwise would have never come in contact with in any other situation. It's made it easier to engage in small talk with total strangers, and I've made some photographer friends, talking gear while snapping photos at outings and events. And I now have this weird habit of trying to deconstruct well-produced photos in magazines, and on the web.

mrbiggmd
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 18, 2012 13:48 |  #26

It has given me an upset wife when I miss a good shot of the kids. I am a newbie, so in the future I hope to have a happier wife.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 15:07 |  #27

Well, yesterday photography gave me a reason to step outside on a wintery day:)!:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/140973076/original.jpg

It snowed a lot last night and some "stuck" but it's been melting down through the day. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get some "cool" photos before it all thaws out.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cbow1978
47 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 18, 2012 15:22 |  #28

For me its a time capsule into seeing my kids grow up. I got my XTI in May '07. My first son was born in September '08 and being able to go back and see the pictures I have taken of him from birth to now is priceless. I've done the same with my two other boys. Seeing how quickly they grow up and change and how my style and skills have changed and improved it is a very interesting timeline.

Outside of documenting my kids, I'm a scientist and it's very enjoyable for me to experiment with different settings and rewarding when I figure something out and get a great looking shot.

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young
Gear and Feedback

sidg
313 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 18, 2012 16:15 as a reply to  @ cbow1978's post |  #29

It has given me the chance to:
slow down and breath
not have to be the expert and to learn from others online and offline
travel to different places than I would have otherwise
stand on the top of a mountain waiting for the stars to come out so that I can "take a picture" and nobody think that I'm weird or just wasting time
and make friends from all around the country that I would never have met without a camera in my hands

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 18, 2012 16:20 as a reply to  @ sidg's post |  #30

debt and addiction (jk. it's actually given me self-restraint, but I still have my moments)

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

4,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
what has photography given back to you
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.