Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amateurs, what do you do with your photos ?

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 18, 2012 15:25 |  #1

I have thousands of photos, mainly our kids growing up. I am curious to learn how other people who don't make a living in photography and only do it as a hobby enjoy their photo collection. I mean, there's only so many walls in the house, and hanging family portraits all over the place doesn't always work. I have some half a dozen 8x10 portraits framed and hung in our bedroom, a couple of 12 x 14 "artsy" shots in the living room, but the rest are all on computer and most of time nobody sees them... what do you do with yours ?

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
J0eybb
154 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 18, 2012 15:28 |  #2

Leave them on my hard drives.

T3i Kit | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | n00b

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 18, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ J0eybb's post |  #3

Smugmug.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 18, 2012 15:36 |  #4

You could always print as a 4x6 and stick in a photo album like the old days. You don't have to print everything large and hang on the wall.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

garryknight
Goldmember
3,618 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 18, 2012 15:39 |  #5

I use Flickr as my secondary offline backup (removable HD is the primary) and add the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence to all of the public ones so that blogs and websites can use them as free stock. I wouldn't advise doing that with family photos, however.

Garry Knight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/garryknight/ (external link)
Sony A6000, 16-50mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm; Nikon D5100, AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR, AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED VR, AF-S 50mm f/1.8G; and an iPhone XS.

doobop101
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 18, 2012 15:49 |  #6

I put hundreds together and place with music as a slideshow video,,mostly my daughter and the sports or activities she is involved in

5D MKiii...1D MKiii...50D...24-70L/f 2.8...24-105L/f4...70-200L/f2.8 IS...85/f1.8...50/f1.8​...Tamron 10-24

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 18, 2012 16:03 |  #7

Some go up on Flickr, some on FB, some stay on the harddrive and never see the light of day. If it was an event then I give copies to family

MyFlickr (external link)

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Jan 18, 2012 16:12 as a reply to  @ Iscariotau's post |  #8

I distribute them to family members in the form of usb keys or sd cards. They copy and use them as they desire and return the usb keys to me periodically.

My basketball game pics are distributed in the same manner to one of my grandsons who distributes them electronically to player's Facebook's... also an usb key to the coachs every now and then.

Every now and then, my wife says she wants a print... and she does whatever she wants with it.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,065 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 18, 2012 16:18 |  #9

I've put together a couple of photo albums but I've also created several windows themes around my images for myself, family and friends. Those images usually come from edits used to fill photo-frames.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 16:22 |  #10

I upload the photos I like to PBase. That way they can be "shared" in various ways (and what good are they if you can't share them?:)).

Of course, PBase is a "public" host -- I get several hundred "views" just in the course of a day (and occasionally someone actually leaves a comment). And, it's been useful when I've shot an event in which there is some interest -- I have a quick way for interested parties to check things out.

And, there are family and friends who, if I've done photograpy with them involved, again have a quick and easy way to check things out.

Also, there is Facebook -- if I do some shooting that Facebook friends might find interesting I can either upload shots (I've been using the Lightroom "Publish" feature lately) or I can post a PBase link either on my Facebook Wall or on that of an interested friend, or in a message or whatever.

And then, there is POTN! I've been active here for several years, and "sharing" photos has always been a part of the POTN experience for me. It's easy for me to link a shot from PBase here -- my PBase uploads are set to the POTN "regulations", so no muss and no fuss for me.

And then, a couple weeks ago I was visiting some friends on Christmas Day, and they expressed some interest in my photography. Well, in a back room they had a laptop set up that was "hooked" to a widescreen TV hanging on a wall. So we were able to go to my Pbase site, and to my "Favorites" gallery, and run a PBase Slideshow -- a very cool way for up close and personal sharing!

'Course, if someone is visiting in my home, I have prints framed and hanging on my walls, and hundreds of smaller 8x10s, 5x7s and 4x6s laying around. Plus, I can do a slideshow from my laptop/TV as well...but I don't get a lot of visitors, just occasionally!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 18, 2012 16:22 as a reply to  @ post 13727496 |  #11

You can make photo books on a website like Picaboo from your photos, documenting the kids' history, etc. You can make scrapbooks using several applications like PS Elements. Create slide shows on CD or DVD. Lots of possibilities.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 16:25 |  #12

Oh, and I'll add that POTN gives another way of "sharing" -- sigs!

I've occasionally had someone here tell me that they've checked out my PBase "stuff" from the links in my sig, and even have complimentary things to say, and coming from a fellow photographer, that does give one "warm and fuzzies":)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2012 16:41 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #13

I have a SmugMug site that only my friends and family see, they are the main reason I take pictures anyway. I started this as a hobby and it will continue to stay that way so I have no need or desire to show anything publicly. It wouldn't necessarily bother me to do so but so far I haven't felt the need to go out of my way to make them public. If I have the chance to make money then it would be a different story. As for the files themselves I keep them on my hard drive, backed up to an external drive, and also backed up online with CrashPlan.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 18, 2012 16:43 |  #14

I pick the best pictures, put them together in a theme and print them in a coffee table book. My other pictures are organized in Lightroom and are easily accessible when needed. Every now and then I will print a picture to be framed or as a gift for someone on my Epson 2400.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2012 16:54 |  #15

Amamba wrote in post #13727161 (external link)
I am curious to learn how other people who don't make a living in photography and only do it as a hobby enjoy their photo collection.
... what do you do with yours ?

I was at a friends house recently, he uses Apple TV and had a presentation of his pictures going on his large flat panel TV the entire time we were there. He had hundreds if not thousands of pictures being displayed randomly in that presentation.

Me..
+ I have several flickr accounts for different purposes
+ Any e-mail to family gets a link to a flickr pic.
+ Any snail-mail sent to family always gets a print or two.
+ My kids all have photo albums
+ Christmas cards (external link) are always created using a family picture that I took.
+ This year I ordered a couple of photo calenders from VistaPrint (external link)* created with my pictures (office and home)

At our church, I also run the projector where we display the words to hymns, announcements, greetings and a PowerPoint presentation with the message. Often the announcements and Greetings contain shots that I have created for that purpose, which I also make available to other churches.

*This is not a recommendation for VistaPrint, I have found their print quality to be mediocre at best, though acceptable for a calendar.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,019 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amateurs, what do you do with your photos ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.