Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 15:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PhotoShop Cs5 , How Many Users Here ?

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 18, 2012 15:11 |  #1

Thinking pretty serious about getting the Cs5 Extended . I know i'll not need to use everything cause i would be new to Cs5 but not PhotoShop . Been using PS7 and PSE for past 8-9 yrs . Just wanting to know how many users here have Cs5 and do you like it ??

sponsored links
th0rr
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 18, 2012 15:18 |  #2

I mostly use LR3, but I do occasionally find that I need its more advanced features. I really like the content aware feature but I will say that if I didn't get the teacher/student discount I would've learned to live without it.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 18, 2012 15:41 |  #3

Have it, love it. Lots of improvements since PS7. You won't be able to get the upgrade pricing as it only goes 3 versions back. You may be able to use your PSE for a little help with pricing depending on the version.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 18, 2012 15:46 |  #4

My versions are too old for upgrade but i work in a Education Service Center for west texas so i'm waiting approval for the teacher/student discount . I wanted the regular Cs5 but that discount isn't available for that , it has to be the extended version only .

emmalish
353 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2012 16:01 |  #5

I have both Lightroom and Photoshop CS5. I use LR for all my colour adjustments, sharpening, etc. But if I have any editing to do, I switch over to PS. It's incredibly powerful, and there have been huge improvements over PS7. The reason I have it, however, is because I need to have the current Adobe Creative Suite for work (graphic design). Not sure how often I'd be upgrading if not for that.

50D
24-85 | MP-E 65 | 60 Macro | 100 Macro | 70-200L f/4 IS | Tamron 90 Macro
420EX | 580EX | MT-24EX

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 16:39 |  #6

Well, I don't have CS5 and I didn't use PS7 -- I was using Elements back then.

But as far as the CSx upgrade goes, I did move to CS2, back when I was getting more and more serious about my photography.

Two things drew me to CS2:

First, I was shooting a greater volume of photos, and I wanted the tools available in CSx for automation -- actions and the ability to run batches of photos had become important to me.

Also, this was the time when I was moving into my first DSLR, which was also my first camera capable of shooting Raw. I had been doing my "homework" on the whole field of shooting Raw, and I knew that CS2 had the best toolkit for Raw processing, so the move to CS2 went hand-in-hand with the move to my first DSLR and Raw shooting/processing.

Since then, of course, CSx has added great new "stuff", but the features that were important to me are still meaningful -- a state-of-the-art Raw processor and automated tools that keep getting better are things that to me set Photoshop apart.

But, just be aware that even if you get the student discount it will still cost the same amount everytime you upgrade to a new version (CS6 is on the horizon). It is an application that is designed for professionals and "serious" amateurs, and even then it has more capabilities than most people will ever need. But for what it does, well it can seriously rock and roll:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 18, 2012 16:46 |  #7

I got CS5 while I am still a student as an upgrade to Elements 6. It takes a minute to get used to the differences, but the change wasn't too bad for me. Largest change I noticed was the ease of running actions, more advanced layer options, and the content aware fill and spot healing brush I am a big fan of. They don't work perfect every time, but can speed things up quite a bit when they do work.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 18, 2012 16:47 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #13727637 (external link)
... But, just be aware that even if you get the student discount it will still cost the same amount everytime you upgrade to a new version (CS6 is on the horizon). ...

That might be a good thing! When I was originally considering Lightroom/Photoshop, the academic version was less expensive than the upgrade price.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 17:07 |  #9

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13727695 (external link)
That might be a good thing! When I was originally considering Lightroom/Photoshop, the academic version was less expensive than the upgrade price.

Well, if you are still eligible for the academic discount then you have the choice -- re-buy using your discount, or do the upgrade available to everyone else. So yeah, you do have the choice, whichever is least spendy:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Eric ­ Xu
688 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 18, 2012 18:30 |  #10

I have it and love it, extremely versatile tool. Great to use with the rest of Adobe's production suite as well, like After Effects.

My Flickr. (external link) My Gear

3Rotor
818 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 18, 2012 19:14 |  #11

I'm a CS5 user as well. Nice improvement over 7 as many have said already.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 18, 2012 20:24 |  #12

I have CS5 and have used Photoshop since PS2.5. I don't think I could do what I do without it.

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 18, 2012 20:41 |  #13

Beau Hudspeth wrote in post #13728943 (external link)
I have CS5 and have used Photoshop since PS2.5. I don't think I could do what I do without it.

Beau , checked out your website and that is the coolest i have seen in a long time ! Did you build it using Cs5 ??

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 18, 2012 22:20 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #14

I started with Lightroom and just got CS5. I like it. I think the biggest question is what were you hoping to accomplish getting CS5?

And take advantage of the student discounts while you can. It's always cheaper than the upgrade price.

shutterbugcrazy
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 18, 2012 22:27 |  #15

I only use sc5 and my color adjustments I use velvia vision... so much cheaper than lightroom

https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/36095​6144097830 (external link)

sponsored links

4,159 views & 0 likes for this thread
PhotoShop Cs5 , How Many Users Here ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.