Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 19:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This SATA enclosure says it is bus powered

ShutteringFocus
526 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 18, 2012 19:23 |  #1

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ry_Elite_AL_Pro​_Dual.html (external link)

It says it is bus powered via firewire 800. Does that mean it is NOT bus powered via firewire 400?

Is there a way to bus power this using my MacBook which only has firewire 400?

sponsored links
Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 18, 2012 19:31 |  #2

Read the reviews on the B&H page

No power supply is included

You'll need to purchase the recommended power supply

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 18, 2012 20:27 |  #3

Power Requirements

Bus power via FireWire 800 supported on all models equipped with an available FireWire 800 port either factory stock or via add on FireWire 800 PCI Card

Note: eSATA connection requires FireWire bus power or external power supply and USB port requires external power supply

Note: AC adapter not required for most applications provided computer bus supplies appropriate power needs

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

ShutteringFocus
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 18, 2012 20:41 |  #4

will the bus power work via a firewire 400 with a converter?

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 18, 2012 20:45 |  #5

ShutteringFocus wrote in post #13729030 (external link)

stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 18, 2012 20:46 |  #6

Read the specs page

Bus power via FireWire 800 supported on all models equipped with an available FireWire 800 port either factory stock or via add on FireWire 800 PCI Card

Note: eSATA connection requires FireWire bus power or external power supply and USB port requires external power supply

Note: AC adapter not required for most applications provided computer bus supplies appropriate power needs

You need FW800 to power it, or you may be able to plug in a power supply.

I can't see why you'd buy this. Get a product designed to do what you do, with the connections you have.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 18, 2012 21:18 |  #7

The IEEE-1394b standard only changed data transfer specs, power is the same as 1394a. So it should work, assuming negligible losses in the adapter.

ShutteringFocus
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 18, 2012 21:44 |  #8

tim wrote in post #13729048 (external link)
Get a product designed to do what you do, with the connections you have.

Easier said than done.

I'm looking for a portable large storage capacity and I thought the RAID 1 option would also be nice to have.

What I like about this drive holder is that the drives are side by side, this would allow me to nest it into my lap-top case easier than an up and down version.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 18, 2012 21:57 |  #9

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........​.. Have you considered the hyperdrives?

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …rive_COLORSPACE​_UDMA.html (external link)

I see that you're heading towards the big fast firewire stuff, and that's nice gear, but I tend to back up to the cloud now and use portable devices for dedicated, temporary purposes.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 22:05 |  #10

ShutteringFocus wrote in post #13729307 (external link)
Easier said than done.

I'm looking for a portable large storage capacity and I thought the RAID 1 option would also be nice to have.

What I like about this drive holder is that the drives are side by side, this would allow me to nest it into my lap-top case easier than an up and down version.

So, it sounds like you need the power supply!

I don't know what is available for the Firewire 800 -- is it possible that there are hubs with their own power supplies that could provide FW800 bus power to a peripheral but at the same time would just be FW 400 to the computer?

Maybe, but I still reckon that if you want that or another FW800 device, you'll want the device's power supply.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ShutteringFocus
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 18, 2012 22:25 |  #11

The superdrive thing doesn't let me work from my computer, and an external power supply doesnt let me work on location.

I'm going for something like this:

http://blog.chasejarvi​s.com …or-photo-video/#more-4534 (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2012 22:42 |  #12

Well, he mentions that the two separate hard drives for "on location" are "bus powered". He doesn't specify that about the G-Safe disk array but it does come with an AC power supply, and they evidently keep that in their motel, not on location.

So if you will need those same capabilities, you'll need FW800 full-bus-power support on the laptop end!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 18, 2012 22:48 |  #13

ShutteringFocus wrote in post #13729030 (external link)

NO!

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 19, 2012 07:58 |  #14

ShutteringFocus wrote in post #13729529 (external link)
The superdrive thing doesn't let me work from my computer, and an external power supply doesnt let me work on location.

Ah. I think you need the biggest laptop with the biggest battery and a couple of charged spares as a core.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 19, 2012 10:59 |  #15

ShutteringFocus wrote in post #13729529 (external link)

So, without your laptop providing the FW800 with the bus power, I'd say for "on location" work, you would need a battery-powered device, such as the old Epson P-5000 that I've had for a number of years, which though is limited in size (I believe it's 50GB) and speed. I'm not sure of what is available now, I imagine there are much better.

Or, get a big second hard drive for your laptop!

In practice, I've done both for "location" shooting, with a laptop that had a large "data" drive and the Epson as a backup. I've spent nights in my car, storing and processing images while I had a power "inverter" plugged into my car battery (lighter plug) so I could recharge my laptop, cameras and my Epson, catch some sleep, and be ready for the next day (this was where there wasn't a motel to grab).

Then, have memory cards for at least a solid day's shooting or more!

Tony

sponsored links

2,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
This SATA enclosure says it is bus powered
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.